Notices

I need help...

Old 03-16-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help...

My life is going in the toilet, my finances, my marriage, my friends, my job all because I just can't seem to not pick up that first drink. I called a rehab for help but when I told them I have no insurance they kept me on hold for a longtime. I have tried AA but for some reason it just didn't help me. I need help I am desperate. How can I stop? Help, please I am breaking down.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hi there, my life was once going down the toilet too.... my experience in A.A was very successful, up till today. Did you ask someone there for some literture, did you ask for help. Did you get numbers? It works but there are a few simple steps to take and that takes sticking around for a while. Would you give it another go? I tried other ways but failed, so I can only share what worked for me. That was A.A. I have not drank for several years now.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I do understand your frustration and despair. It's an awful feeling to know that you are losing your life.

Have you talked to your dr about stopping drinking? Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous, but if you have your drs okay, then you can begin by not drinking for the rest of the day. Get rid of the alcohol in the house. Do whatever you can to distract yourself from drinking.

You can do this!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, I didn't. I sat there and listened. I feel like crap today, I just want to die. I won't kill myself, I don't have the courage but I feel like I want to. If I feel better tomorrow, I'll go. Hell, if I feel better this afternoon, I'll jump in the shower and I'll go. I'll do anything right now not to drink. I don't want to end up like my father. He died of alcoholism. I have a beautiful grandson just 10 weeks old. I want to be there for his graduation and his life. Why do I pick up that first drink. Why is this so difficult. I don't want to live this way. I am at my lowest.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Does anyone know of a outpatient rehab affordable that I can go to. I am in the Orlando, Florida area. Does anyone know? I can't do this alone.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know that the Salvation Army offers free rehab to people who are seeking help.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep reaching out for help. Hang in there. It is worth it.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm sorry to know you are having such a bad time.
I too think seeing your doctor ..and be totally honest
about your drinking ...is a wise move.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What helps me is thinking what is more important in you life.. Family, Job, Financial Stability, Happiness OR Alcohol.. Pick which side you want. Most of us here can't have both.. It's an easy decision for me now, but unfortunately I waited to long to see.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Just for today, please don't drink. I have found AA useful, please give it another try. Keep an open mind, reach out like you are doing here. Get some numbers, talking to another alcoholic really does help.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have no money, I'm in debt b/c of my drinking. I only have a HSA insurance which I still pay out of pocket. I am emotionally broke as well. I'm hear trying to find some encouragement and hope because I just wanna die but I won't do it believe me. I am a coward but today I am definitely emotionally broke. All of you that have accomplished not drinking for a long period of time and are continuing to live that way. My hats off to you and I want to learn what you have done not to pick up that evil drink that is ruining my life. Us newcomers are here to remind you it sucks and don't ever pick up that drink. It is not worth it. I hate with a passion and I am so over living this way. Help, Help, Help and I screaming for help right now.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

want2stop, not everyone here has not been drinking for a long time. I am 22 years old and am 8 days clean after being admitted into the hospital for a couple days for DTs. Now talk about a hospital bill with no insurance, this is on top of my public drunkeness a few months earlier where they charged me over $1,000 for a few hours to sit there and sober up.

I went to one AA meeting last night and got they gave me the Big Book and the Twelve Steps and Traditions program. I feel it is going to be a miracle, I just gotta stick with the program.

Hope you can make it!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Another thing, I have terrrribble social anxiety so going to this AA meeting by myself was almost a panic attack in itself, however the people there were so open and honest with me I felt really comfortable and did not want the meeting to end.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know I have to get myself back into meetings and this time ask for help. I will do anything at this point not to drink. I am so scared.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

In AA meetings, people share that some have gone to rehab to get sober and some have just come into the rooms of AA. There are many sober people who have gotten sober both ways. For myself, I feel like I am home when I attend an AA meeting, for one hour I can just relax. Just don't drink for today and pray that you will be given the strength you need.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am just not mentally stable today. I won't pick up a drink today. Tomorrow, I will go to an AA meeting and ask for help. I sick and tired of feeling this way. There's got to be a better way for me to live. I am going through the worse hangover I have experienced. I don't like myself today.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

support to you, want. recovery is possible. hugs, k
Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Maybe you should try the chat room on here? There are usually scheduled meetings every night.

I am with you and what you are going through today. I am FINISHED with alcohol. I have had all the same thoughts and feelings as you, especially today. I am about to bring my 11 day old son home and I will swear to him, when we are alone, that I will not have a drop of alcohol in this house again. I am so mad at myself for the situation I am in. Tomorrow will be the best day of my life...
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time. You can stay sober. Just don't drink today. Your life can become so much better by staying sober. I am proof of that! hang on and just don't drink today.:ghug3
Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

I found this great book after reading the following link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

It helped me get my mind and heart on the same page. I knew I needed to stop drinking, but always justified one more try at controlled drinking. It always ended with the same result: hungover, anxiety riddled, nauseated, ashamed, etc....

Read and post as much as you need..