Notices

Better to surrender than fight

Old 03-14-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

What is taking so long to get into detox? If you dont mind me asking. It is an emergency type situation I would think. CAnt you just go to an ER and they should admit you right in. But then again. I never had to detox before. So I dont know.
Hang in there hon. Your goin to make it. Keep goin to meetings and keep wanting to move forward.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I should probably not wait and go to the er, but im apprehensive about the situation and I guess Im putting it off. Im not happy about going but know its the only way to get better. I have a new love and dont want to leave.... BUt im going!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know anything about detox - I wasn't smart enough to do that, but I should have. I think I'm still getting over the effects of my last home detox...and that was 2 years ago.

Don't wait too long - feeding yourself alcohol to ward off the shakes is a mugs game B.

Whatever you do, do it soon - don't over think it - just do it.
D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-14-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Been white knuckling to long

Good luck with detox
Old 03-20-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I went to detox and didnt stay! Still in the same boat. Still thinking about trying a different hospital. Still screwedf up I guess. Still going to meetings tho
Old 03-20-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

How come you didnt stay Beth?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd kinda like to hear the story too B.

D
Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Yes, please. We're all rooting for you.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I got there I signed in, filled out the forms. told my gf she should go I will be OK. She left I went into the waiting room and freaked. I felt like I was in a zoo not a hospital. Everyone was talking about drugs and where to get them from. All the new copping spots and what was out there. I started to crave them and Im thinking to myself man Im here for booze. I dont want to leave alcohol free and go back to drugs. I got scared. I left the waiting room grabbed my bag and ran for the elevator. My ride was long gone, but I didnt care I just started walking in the direction of my house with no jacket in the rain I didnt care I just had to get away. I walked 2 miles or so no $ on me, no phone. Found a gas station willing to let me use the phone and my friends came back to get me. I thought they would be mad, but instead they were glad I didnt stay there. They wanted me home and we decided we need to really get serious about an alternative. We made a call to a dr willing to give me meds so I can detox at home. My appt is 4/3. Since the failed detox experience I have been weaning. Im down to 8 drinks a day. NOt much but it is something. Nutrition, meetings and rest have become a priority. Im not sure leaving was the best thing, but the people I have spoken to familiar with the facility think I was crazy to ever go there. Im feeling better that counts for something.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well that is understandable.
At least you are seeking some kind of medical detox help.
I am so glad. And yes...Feeling better counts.
I like your priorities.
You can do it Beth. You have done it before.
Hang in there.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with detox places, B so I dunno whether that's typical or not....but whatever you do now, follow through...

D
Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

cut my drinking in half and moving along
Old 03-26-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
not a greeter

When will you cut the 1/2 in half Beth? Do you have a plan?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

still here, getting nowhere in my struggles. Just thought I would check in. Hope all my friends are doing well
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back Beth
I hope you stick around a bit and tell us a bit more of whats going on.

D
Old 06-05-2009, 02:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Glad you are still around, so what is up?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

At least you got the ball rolling. I never went to detox, detox came to me. I went on an intense 7 day relapse and quit by pouring out all the liquor in my house. 14 hours later my heart was pumping like I was running a 20 mile marathon, but I was lying in bed.
Fast forward to ER. Spent 2 days in the hospital.

When you say you are still drinking not because you want to but because you physically need to, it reminds me of what my sponsor said to me: "There are no reasons. You drink because you are an alcoholic".
Well I hung up the phone and thought: "You BXXCH, dXXn you for telling me that". I always wanted a pretty reason for getting toasted and I just run out of pretty reasons.

But, you are probably right there: the physical addiction is a big deal. I have two hospital visits that can testify to that. Before my withdrawal hospitalization I had 2 days in the hospital for alcohol poisoning.
I hope you get the detox sorted out because I can testify that it is necessary. I thought I would make it without medical assistance and I didn't. Go for it: it's the start of your journey. But I would also try to get some kind of program work lined up for after detox.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I did not think I needed to be medically detoxed, thank God I listened to the doctor. On my 3rd day soon after I am thinking "Gee this is a waste of time, except for my blood pressure going wild nothing was going on" I started to get the shakes, when the nurse saw me getting the shakes she told me "Looks like we need to up your seizure meds." It turned out I had been on anti-seizure meds since day 1 and the meds were what kept my shakes away until the 3rd day. They upped my meds and the shaking stopped.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
IO Storm

A safe detox does still seem to be your best bet...Beth.

The longer you continue..the more you will need one. Has the "cutting down" worked

after all? If so..my hat is off to you, if not..then medical support may be necessary.

I did it twice..it was okay, more than okay.

I am glad to see you around, and still here!

Thanks so much for checking in...

Sher
Old 06-07-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

whats up is that i stopped even entertaining the thought of quitting. Met someone I thought I really loved and we both drink. At first it was like " oh baby dont worry I will help you", but as it turns out Im just dealing with another enabler. OK with that said...We both drink together and up until now have been having a great time. Planning on moving and thought we could spend our life together. It occurred to me today that I am just dreaming once again about something that will never work. I might not be able to stop drinking, but I certainly dont need someone feeding me the ****. I know I should be running as fast as I can.... Up until today its the happiest time in my life, but the drinking thing is no good for either of us. I thought I wass the one with the problem but....gf freaked out today. Angry towards ex hubby, Threw a bunch of stuff around. Broke the window, my laptop (2nd laptop down), beer all over my guitar, blood all over the apt from where she cut herself. I left she called crying so I came back. Now shes gone to chase down ex hubby and new gf, totally intoxicated. Im not feeling any of this. I dont really think any of this is related to recovery, but man it felt good to bitch. Anyway Im still in ****. Was doing great. was renting a room.. Nothing great but it was mine alone, had a job, was working on getting to know myself. Now I think I became someones bitch cause I thought it was an easier way out. Not thinking that so much anymore. I need to go back to following the people, places and things rule so I dont keep making the same mistakes. Enough drama already!