Notices

Free will

Old 03-13-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Free will

What does the term mean to you? Just wondering.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

The power of making free choices that are unconstrained by external circumstances or by an agency such as fate or divine will.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

It means to let the whale go back to the ocean and live his life.
Oh wait I just put my glasses on. So sorry.

It means the right to choose to do whatever you see fit.

Personally I think that a lot of moral responsibility should come with free will.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

It means I do what I want... now that doesn't always mean it's the best thing.. but it's my choice!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I agree with smacked
I don`t always make the best decision,but t least I tried to.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

LOL @ Free Willy...

To me, it means that outcomes are not predetermined and that human affairs are not influenced by deities or supernatural forces.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

I have a head f*uck today so i might not make myself clear or be precise, but free will, in my opinion, is a sort of metaphysical view on freedom - rid of any external agent or impact, as if you are to do whatever you want disregarding anything else, even the effects caused by that freedom.

On the other hand, i do believe in freedom, but not in a social or political context. I do believe in freedom as doing what you really want to do, make choices, but most importantly: be aware of facing the consequences of such decisions.
Free will is sort of detached and unrealistic. Nothing comes without a price for it, much less these days

Feel free ( heh ) to point out my ignorance, canīt really think straight today.

Great RUSH song btw.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So if I believe in free will, does that mean I'm not a spiritual person and I don't believe in spirutal guides? If I wear a shirt that says free will, what would be your first impression?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlkalikeH View Post
I have a head f*uck today so i might not make myself clear or be precise, but free will, in my opinion, is a sort of metaphysical view on freedom - rid of any external agent or impact, as if you are to do whatever you want disregarding anything else, even the effects caused by that freedom.

On the other hand, i do believe in freedom, but not in a social or political context. I do believe in freedom as doing what you really want to do, make choices, but most importantly: be aware of facing the consequences of such decisions.
Free will is sort of detached and unrealistic. Nothing comes without a price for it, much less these days

Feel free ( heh ) to point out my ignorance, canīt really think straight today.

Great RUSH song btw.
Exactly
You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose a path thats clear
I will choose free will
Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
So if I believe in free will, does that mean I'm not a spiritual person and I don't believe in spirutal guides? If I wear a shirt that says free will, what would be your first impression?
I think it depends on how you define the term "spiritual". It probably won't come to you as any suprise that I don't consider myself to be spiritual. To me, spirituality implies supernatural belief, which I don't possess.

Ditto on the Rush song, but I prefer Tom Sawyer.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
Hey Mamabin

I would not say that you arenīt a spiritual person, but you donīt really abide to any sort of preconception of freedom that might be offered to you and it is still detached to the whole course of humanity and the universe. And detached from consequences.

I believe in personal freedom. But still, i am sort of an idiot and the concept of freedom has been
discussed for thousands of years so i canīt really say.

Thatīs just me. Still RUSH is awesome.

Last edited by AlkalikeH; 03-13-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: messy week for thoughts and cohesion
Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Free Will: I get to make my own choices, do the things and behave in the ways I see fit, and I get to receive the unmitigated consequences (positive and/or negative) of those choices and behaviors;

However, if I value my own free will and want others to respect it, then it follows that I do not have the right to try to keep any other adult human being from making his/her own choices, from doing the things and behaving in the ways he/she sees fit, nor to either protect him/her from or in any way exacerbate his/her receiving the consequences (positive and/or negative) of those choices and behaviors.

....it's interesting to me how often people leave out the consequences part and the part about how, if any one of us has free will, then we all have it.....

freya
Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tend to go against the grain alot but I don't think that's a bad thing. I don't push my opinions on people but I'm headstrong on certain things. Controversial topics like politics, immigration, veganism, vivisection, etc. Is that free will??? If someone brings it up or asks my opinion, I give it, regardless of what I think their reaction might be.
I think things through and do my research before I form an opinion on things I consider to be important. (or at least I try to).
Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's a big question.

Humans do have a personal will and it is their's to freely exercise. External forces play a role in this ability. Physical capability, mental capacity, tangible constraints of various kinds, all play a role in one's ability to fully execute their own will.

I believe that there is a God and His will plays a massive role in human existence....I'm also sure that may be a rather large can of metaphysical worms pertaining to this question of will.

When someone gets this question totally figured out please fill me in on the answer.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all. You've taught me alot. In more ways than one. Now I'm late for work, but that was my choice hahaha. Have a good friday everybody.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Free will doesn't necissarily reflect spirituality, but in my opinion free will is the ability to decide for yourself and make your own decisions. (i.e. I go to AA meetings on my own free will rather than being asked to or someone other than me deciding for me to go.)
Wes