Notices

Hello

Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lsb

Hello

Hi. I am new to this idea of quitting drinking. I don't drink a lot, but it seriously affects me when I do. I act out really badly and do things I regret nearly every time.

Well, also I am dating a great guy who is in AA. He has been sober for 3 years. I feel extremely guilty because I drank in front of him and acted really stupid.

It sort of hit me today about the reason why I drink and how I always end up drinking more than I want to, how I get sick or do something I regret.

Ideally I would love to quit, but it seems hard. It is all my friends do to go out and have fun. I don't know if I am really at the right place. But I need some sort of support with this. Thank you for listening.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm in similiar shoes.. Just came on this site 3 days ago.. But yes it is extremely helpful. Alot of supportive people here.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The Long Climb

Most people don't quit until they have to.

If it seems hard not to drink when your friends are drinking, think of how it must be to not drink and date a drinker.

You can still go out and have fun. Drinking isn't required. In fact, be the DD and chill out without doing something stupid. It'll give you the chance to see from a different perspective (and everyone will love the safe ride home).
Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, LSB!

This is a wonderful site and resource full of very giving people. Keep coming back and you will so how un-alone you are with this disease.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi LSB and welcome!

I am fairly new here myself, only stopped drinking 8 days ago so I understand your hesitance to stop altogether. I have always had this little voice in my head telling me that this time it will be different, I won't overdo it, I will drink like a "normal" person. But unfortunately, it always turns out the same way, once I start, I don't stop until I overdo it and then wake up the next day with a bunch of guilt, stress, regrets, embarrassment, etc. So for me, I have decided to ignore that voice and stop completely forever.

I think you will find a lot of support here at SR and it helps knowing you are not alone. Again welcome!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Why not go to an AA meeting with him?
You might feel a little self conscious about it,
but it could be a great way to spend some time together.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi...

Have you attended any AA meetings with this man?
That might give you a different perspective on alcoholism.

Hope you will find a healthy happy future.