Notices

What are some of your favorite "recovery" cliche's?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

"Get down off the cross and give someone else a turn"
Old 03-12-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"Don't be judgemental. But stick with the winners."

What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

" hey, I didn't get dragged out of the sea of alcoholism, to be battered on the beach !! "
Old 03-12-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Don't get me wrong, I like most of the cliches' and slogans and I have found that there is deep meaning behind them. But I only realize that in hindsight after I'd taken the steps.

I recently posted on another thread about the shape I was in at six months away from my last drink. I had been to four treatment centers and had sat in hundreds of AA meetings and knew just enough to be dangerous to myself and others. I had a head full of crap. I was also dying of untreated alcoholism, feeling left out of a fellowship that I should feel like I belong in. And I was confused as hell.

People would say stuff like "Next time you want to drink, just think the drink through," which made no sense because sometimes I didn't think at all and found myself drunk, wondering how the hell that happened. "Don't quit before the miracle happens." That's like dangling a carrot in front of a horse, always pursuing something down the road. Part of my problem was not being able to live in the here and now because at that time the past was eating my lunch, the future didn't look so good, and the present reality was unbearable.

I would hear people talk about turning it over and wonder "How do you do that?" Later on, my sponsor would answer that question by asking "Can you count four through twelve?" I would rage and vent in meetings. People would tell me to read page 449. If one more well meaning person had said to me "This too shall pass," I was going to grab them by the throat, because it wasn't passing. Untreated alcoholism doesn't pass, it only gets worse, eventually "passing" into increasingly bizarre and erratic behavior culminating in either active alcoholism or suicide.

What I didn't know then was that I needed a real answer, not page 449 or vague cliches' thrown around by people who don't have an answer. I hear people years away from a drink say stuff like "I know it works, but I don't know how it works." It is my responsibility to know how it works. In fact I am rather useless in AA if I don't know it works.

Thank God I met some men in AA who knew how it works. They did not give me vague cliches. They had a real answer and their lives demonstrated it. They talked with conviction and authority. They knew what they were talking about. They told me that they could show me precisely how they had recovered from alcoholism and that they could show me a way to live that would make sense to me. They had a real answer.
Jim
Old 03-12-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

if you have one foot on tomorrow and one foot on yesterday you put yourself in a perfect position to pi.ss on today.

lol, god i love that one, never gets old
Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I like "let go and let God" Although sometiems I take that too literally and use it as an excuse to prosrastinate or not do what I need to do.

Thats a funny one Scott lol
Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Thank God I met some men in AA who knew how it works. They did not give me vague cliches. They had a real answer and their lives demonstrated it. They talked with conviction and authority. They knew what they were talking about. They told me that they could show me precisely how they had recovered from alcoholism and that they could show me a way to live that would make sense to me. They had a real answer.

Yes this was my experience too jim......................but I still find slogans useful, slogans like ......"keep it simple"
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
let it grow!

not really cliches, but i say 2 things just about everyday. i say the serenity prayer AND i remind myself that my daughter's addiction is none of my business
Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My favourite is "Alcohol doesn't drown your sorrows, it just teaches them to swim!"
Old 03-12-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

"This too shall pass" is another good one I hear often.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ex D-Boy View Post
if you have one foot on tomorrow and one foot on yesterday you put yourself in a perfect position to pi.ss on today.

lol, god i love that one, never gets old
I like that one too as well as the "anything after 'but' is ********".
Old 03-12-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SummerSkye View Post
My favourite is "Alcohol doesn't drown your sorrows, it just teaches them to swim!"
I've never heard that one but I think it's GREAT!!!! So true.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

fake it until you make it
Old 03-12-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Dont Drink, even if your Ass is on Fire!

(_rz_)
Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANGELINA243 View Post
We do recover
I love this one
Old 03-12-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

When the pain of your situation gets worse than your fear of change..you will change.

Guilt Kills

God judges us by what we do, NOT by what others say.

Let us love you, until you can love yourself...

so many....LOL, when I first came to AA, I swore that I was going to kill the next person who told me another cheesy cliche'...now I am that person....sheesh!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Dating within AA: the odds are good but the goods are odd.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
The Long Climb

In response to "How are you?" a old timer at an AA meeting said to me "I'm glad to be here. I'm glad to be anywhere." I like that.

One I can't stand is "The further you are from your last drink, the closer you are to your next." IMO that implies that everyone will relapse repeatedly. I don't like that.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Fake it 'till you can't make it

Originally Posted by RayRayRay View Post
In response to "How are you?" a old timer at an AA meeting said to me "I'm glad to be here. I'm glad to be anywhere." I like that.

One I can't stand is "The further you are from your last drink, the closer you are to your next." IMO that implies that everyone will relapse repeatedly. I don't like that.
Actually fake it 'till you make it is on here. I always say "fake it until you can't make it."

The closer to your next drink saying is just more of the self-defeating crap that gets slung around in AA. Most of it by the meeting makers make crowd that stay away from that first drink by hiding out at the Alano Club playing cards and live in fear of what's out in the parking lot doing pushups.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I think it was Trucker who posted "3.. God could and would if he was sought."

which, I like, but I will add a rewording: God is already doing it--now if we could be still and listen....