Old 03-11-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

TiredofTired.....

Welcome to our recovery community
Glad to see you are moving forward ...
Old 03-11-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for your tips.. I greatly appreciate the ideas and support.

I'm going back to being a gym rat, I was always happiest when I was in shape.. But I can't be in their ALL the time, risk overtraining.. Get either burnt out or injured.

I'm hoping just the feeling of what I put my fiance through having to deal with my late nights and how I feel now that she left (hopefully temporarily) will be enough for me to never want to drink again. But I just want some ideas just in case something comes up.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Don't pick up that FIRST drink....

:ghug3
Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

go to a meeting, call someone in AA, go on here..

Write a gratitude list
Old 03-11-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I only new at this just 11 days, I find taking a minute at a time seems to work for me. Yesterday I had to fly for business (away for several days) I got on the plane without a beer but when I landed in Sydney I walked past the airport bar I always drink at. I was about to go in and I thought to myself just buy the newspaper sit down outside and read and after 10 minutes if I still want a beer I will go in. After 5 minutes I felt better and walked away without having that beer.
I then spent the night on this site.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I simply tell myself I don't want to be the drunk I was. I just don't. Quitting was so hard to finally decide to do that I will not compromise my sobriety.

Something I read very early in sobriety....picture acohol as tasting like something you hate....that you really hate. I chose peroxide.....so when I would want to drink the thought of drinking peroxide made me sick. Hey, it worked!

And...welcome marty....Airport bars were tough at first!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Some good activities and suggestions that were posted on here. I think a simple general idea most people can try when they want to use any drug or drink is do some kind of physical activity. if your into fitness just get on a treadmil or go for a walk or run. If you have the option go swimming. Any activity that does not coincide with drugs or alcohol is a quick and easy way to get a bad thought out of your mind completely.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I make myself laugh, by watching comedy. Always a good thing.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi coffee, yes those airport bars are killers, I flying home saturday so going to get to the airport as late as possible to avoid the temptation
Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Freedom Seeker

I try to distract myself away from "thinking". Once I start the process of "deciding" whether or not to drink, and thinking about it, my diseased brain is always able to convince me that it's ok. So I don't let myself get to the point where I am arguing with myself "should I or shouldn't I?" I find friends, something to do, read a book, go to the gym, or just sit and breathe and pay attention to the present moment.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Had to bump this thread. I have found it helpful myself.

What a great idea. I think its great that you are pre-planning it. I've mentioned this before and I'll say it again, I'm having those urges again, but the only difference is knowing what to do. I've gotten through them by coming on here and going by the old "minute by minute" rule because they DO pass. I also pray and do something like pour a cup of coffee. Coffee always kills the urge for me. Maybe because coffee is the signal to end of a meal for me and so it may be the end to the craving. Who knows, but it works and that's all I need for today. I also post on the "Do Not Quit" thread and for some crazy reason that works too for me.

"I was told that if I put my recovery chip in my mouth and it melted, I could drink again. Been sucking on that darn thing for 4 years and it still hasn't dissolved." Posted by Astro

That is great!! LOL!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

For me..And I just went through it not an hour ago.
I was having some serious physical cravings a little while ago. I mean bad to where in the past I would just go and get high just to stop feeling so sick and uncomfortable. It was liek torture not to.
But I came here and talked it out. Made it known to anyone I trust how I am feeling. To people I know will help me through it. I sometimes have to sabotage myself. Like telling a family memeber I know will make it impossible for me to act on it. I tell on myself.
And if theres noone. I try so very hard to do something..anything to get my mind off it. It is so hard soemtimes. But if I just hang on and dont give in. It will eventually pass. Hell rarely it doesnt pass. But I just have to white knuckle it until it does. Not recommended. But you gotta do what works at the time.
Good luck. And again...thats just what I have done.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have suggested to people who have thought of relapse to give themselves 5 seconds of thought prior to taking that first drink and to contemplate 2 simple words, "Why now?"

"Why now?" do I want to throw away all the good work that I have put into my sobriety?

Is it anger, depression, happiness, revenge, self pity, a party, a funeral, a reunion......

"Why now?" do I think I "need" or "want" this first drink?

There undoubtedly are thousands of reasons or scenarios to consider, but I think if you ask this simple question to yourself prior to picking up and you can rationalize with yourself and truly answer this simple question to yourself, you will be that much closer to never relapsing.

Just two words to remember.....Why now?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I do stuff until I'm really tired, go to meetings, hang out with recovering people after meetings, walk the mall, etc...then go home and drink hot chocolate, makes me tired. When I can sleep, the cravings are usually gone when I wake up.

If all else fails, I eat candy and play the tape all the way through...
KJ
Old 03-14-2009, 03:41 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Early in sobriety sports was a great outlet for me. But that was 14 years ago. Now, when I'm restless or bored there's always RedSox.com or soberecovery.

I also listened to music that spoke to my recovery... Social Distortion, early Dropkick Murphy's... stuff that I could relate to my struggles and hoped for triumph.

In time, for me, the urges passed. Hopefully, they will for you, too. Keep coming.
Mike
Old 03-14-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey Steve,

Great advice already given and what has been offered is by those who are staying sober, so it's working.

I can imagine that this is a very difficult time for you, devastating in fact, but I might add that you could use a plan other than just not drinking. That goes without saying and is first on the list, but stopping drinking isn't the hard part, staying stopped for good is the hard part.

I think what Mle meant was what life do you envision as a sober man. What will you do differently, how will you live differently, what will you do now that you weren't doing while drinking. The gym is great, but what about seeing your Dr., look into some face to face support groups, read all you can about alcoholism, find a new hobbies, join some hiking groups, volunteer, take a course you might be interested in pursuing, make new friends.

When we stop drinking, we need to evaluate our lives and make changes beyond leaving alcohol behind. This is a process and can't all take place over night. I wish you all good things and hope everything works out for you, but simply waiting and hoping that your fiance comes back soon and not drinking now for 6 days isn't all there is. Congratulations on 6 days, that is stupendous and not to snuffed at.

I know it's very difficult Steve and I don't mean to be harsh, it's coming from someone who has been where you are.

keep posting and start putting a plan together.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well, I come read here and post if I have something to say. If I don't have the time, I down a piece of cake, a candy bar, and/or a diet coke. The "diet" coke compensates the "undiet" cake or candy of course ! I also go outside if it's sunny, the sun helps me, and I walk the dog,he loves it !
Old 03-14-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I haven't had many harsh cravings since I quit. Probably due to the gravity of my situation, almost losing my job, hubby, life.. etc etc. At this point nothing seems better than being sober. I think if I were to have a really strong horrible craving, I would have to think it through.. think about where that drink will lead me, how I'll feel tomorrow, what I'll wish I would have done instead.. and do that. Even if it's nothing and just pushing through the feelings I had. I'm a big fan of distraction.. also physical exertion does a lot to quell the agitation I sometimes feel. I don't think I feel agitated/anxious/mad/sad (insert emotional excuses here) because I want to drink, I think it's just part of life.. and something we need to learn better how to deal with without drinking. Stay strong!