Notices

A beer in the night..

Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A beer in the night..

Last night at 1.30 am, l was looking for a beer l had hidden in the bushes by the lake where l live. ( Because the wife is not allowed to know)
How sad is that ?
This morning ( l live in Holland) l was waiting for the supermarket to open at 8.00 am.
l just can't stop.
Anybody recognise this ?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

like I said yesterday man - I really do recall being there.

The way out is to stop drinking - once you're hiding it in bushes, it probably time to admit it has you hooked.

I dunno what programmes are available in Holland besides AA, but I hope you decide to look into something soon.

In the meantime, keep posting and reading here.

One day at a time is all it takes to start with
Good luck

D
Old 03-11-2009, 01:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

penny,

Let's see, I've often hidden beer on the bottom shelf of the fridge, and I live alone, lol.

I've snuck my empties out at night, so the neighbors wouldn't see how many there were.

I've lied about losing money so often that a friend of mine bought me a money clip, lol.

I truly do miss my mind a lot these days, I think I remember that I had one at one time, but I'm not quite sure, lol.

Some of the things we do to cop a buzz are funny, but in the end they seem sad and tragic, because they are. Going on an Easter egg hunt for a beer is a good indication that you're losing or have lost control, and need help, just like the rest of us here. You're in the right place, so keep coming back.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too hid them from the spouse. Not near a lake though, the garage was so much closer And many times I was at the store at 7am when you can purchase beer here.
With the grace of God those days are behind me.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Penny, please don't hide your beers near a lake, it would be no fun if you had an unexpected swim. I never hid my alcohol, although I was very ashamed of all the empty bottles I had to put out. Congratulations on recognising you have a problem, this site is a road to recovery.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with drinking...I've also hid alcohol from the spouse in the garage. The hardest part for me is that I've gotten used to being a before bed drinker so I have a hard time falling asleep if I've not had a few before going to bed...and I hate it.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whever l hide it, she always finds it..uncanny...
Old 03-11-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

I never hid alcohol but my wife hid it on me. Sometimes when I got home from a good night's drinking from the bar, ( always walked there), I would love a good game of hide and seek.
Eventually though it was time to quit playing games and just give it up.
No early morning trips to the store. You can do it if you really want to.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mergirl

I have a fridge in my room for my "private stock". It is unplugged, saving the planet and my $ at the moment.

Petiot, trouble sleeping was one of my biggest "reasons" to keep drinking. Now I have an extremely physical job and exercise daily and I'm lucky if I can keep my head up past 8:30. I actually think all the calories/carbs in the beers were doing more to keep me up.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you're having a hard time stopping drinking on your own, can you talk to your doctor and ask for a medically supervised detox? Just to get the alcohol out of your system. Have you researched sobriety programs in your area? I know AA is all over the world. Maybe if you had a support program in place it would be easier to get and stay sober.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by penny74 View Post
Last night at 1.30 am, l was looking for a beer l had hidden in the bushes by the lake where l live. ( Because the wife is not allowed to know)
How sad is that ?
This morning ( l live in Holland) l was waiting for the supermarket to open at 8.00 am.
l just can't stop.
Anybody recognise this ?
Yep! This is the nature of the beast you're describing here. The only way "out" is to stop the insanity... the madness by NOT picking up that 1st drink! Sounds so simple, huh?!!!

Cunning, Baffling, Powerful..... alcohol for us alkies!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, that is what addiction does to us.

It makes us lie and sneak around and embarrass ourselves.

Talk to your dr about detoxing and take a look around here and you'll find lots of support.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

the relief from anxiety I felt when I stopped having to hide it, because I quit drinking.. is indescribable. I cannot imagine how much my husband's heart broke every time he found out or even suspected that I was drinking more than he knew. ouch.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmmm. On Tuesday, I came home from work at lunch and put two dozen empty wine bottles in a neighbor's garbage can so my wife would not find them.

Yeah, I can relate.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hidden them in my office, in my car and in the laundry. Even got to the stage opening 6 beers drinking 1/2 of each bottle the topping them up with bourbon recapping them and putting them back in the fridge. That way my wife would think I was only drinking beer.
Disgusts me when I think of it.