Notices

Have stopped drinking, now just want to eat!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Stairs mentioned scrambled eggs and corned beef hash. I haven't had that in forever. I think I might correct that this weekend. Maybe scrapple instead...

StillSleeping is right about the ability, or need, to exercise coming back. I've been hitting the gym regularly and walking with my wife, the Sicilian version of the Energizer Bunny< on the other nights.

Just weighed myself on our freight scale and I'm down 7 lbs. (I think that 1/2 stone in Britland) in two weeks.

Mos' def' need some scrapple.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SOBERINNEPA View Post
Stairs mentioned scrambled eggs and corned beef hash. I haven't had that in forever. I think I might correct that this weekend. Maybe scrapple instead...

StillSleeping is right about the ability, or need, to exercise coming back. I've been hitting the gym regularly and walking with my wife, the Sicilian version of the Energizer Bunny< on the other nights.

Just weighed myself on our freight scale and I'm down 7 lbs. (I think that 1/2 stone in Britland) in two weeks.

Mos' def' need some scrapple.
Yay, look who ditched work for us! 7lb is indeed half a stone in Olde England and is amazing in 2 weeks. Well done dude Wow, half a stone. You gonna need some new clothes, Sober.

Okay, a little part of me is scared to go there again, but I need to ask...

...what's scrapple?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It's a Pennsylvania delicacy: (from Wikipedia)

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name pon haus, is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is best known as a rural American food of the Mid-Atlantic states (Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland). Scrapple and pon haus are commonly considered an ethnic food of the Pennsylvania Dutch, including the Mennonites and Amish. Scrapple is found in supermarkets throughout the region in both fresh and frozen refrigerated cases.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

It's a Pennsylvania delicacy: a mush of pork scraps .
Haha! In my part of the world also we would refer to a mush of pork scraps as a delicacy

Where I come from (not Brighton) we have something called ******* - I know you can't see that, because the SR modesty patrol filters it. Check with BillyPilgrim. I am not kidding. It is also made from pork scraps. Pork scraps feature heavily where I come from, hence the running :P
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm told it's kind of close to what you'd call white pudding?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Haha did you ask him? More like a kind of meatball in gravy, amazing with fries...
Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
So it goes

Black pudding I think, mind you thats made with pigs blood

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Haha did you ask him? More like a kind of meatball in gravy, amazing with fries...
Fries still , we call them chips !!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

The wiki thing says white pudding or the hog's pudding that's made in the west country. It's got kind of a livery taste. My wife can't stand it. More for me!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
So it goes

The wiki thing says white pudding or the hog's pudding that's made in the west country. It's got kind of a livery taste. My wife can't stand it. More for me!
Just seen it, I agree, though it does look like something the Beverley Hillbillies would eat!!
I will leave you to your double portion
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
Black pudding I think, mind you thats made with pigs blood

Fries still , we call them chips !!
They don't understand me when I say fries!!!

I can't explain the joy of ******* without getting into trouble...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I don't know what ****** means but I'd probably try some. With or without fries.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hi S
They are faggots. I think the plural can get through whilst the singular cant
Still goes for them, it's a Birmingham thing, Jasper Carrot a UK comic once did a routine about going into a US supermarket and saying he is dying to get some faggots down his throat.
We stick to Black pudding in Manchester.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Smile

SOBERINNEPA, I had an aunt in MD, just below the PA border- lots of mennonites in that area- who used to make scrapple when we were kids, we'd visit her on Sundays and she'd make scrapple and pancakes. I didn't realize what it was at the time lol.

RachelNorth, I agree on the chocolate, Cadbury is better than Hershey's and another really good one is Russell Stovers. They make these little wreaths at Easter time, milk chocolate with little rice crispies in them. Mmmm.

stillsleeping, BillyP, Zee, you guys are in the UK? I wish we had fish and chips here, the real deal. All we have is Long John Silvers.

szavo, I hear that. I am up a pound. Better than being malnourished though, which I was from my lovely drinking habit. Now I will need to start walking it off! Just don't have a whole lot of energy yet, though a lot more than say a week ago!

Happy eating to all!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stairs View Post

stillsleeping, BillyP, Zee, you guys are in the UK? I wish we had fish and chips here, the real deal. All we have is Long John Silvers.

Happy eating to all!!!

Yeah dude, we're in England. Best fish and chips in the world.

Ha! Anyone from New Zealand want to fight?

Actually, where are all the people from New Zealand? Hello? Whatchall eatin?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Omg I right now cannot get enough sour patch Popsicles ..skittles and jolly ranchers ..and hot stuff chips!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Yeah dude, we're in England. Best fish and chips in the world.
As a Mancunian I hate to say this, but the best chippies in the world are in Yorkshire
Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
As a Mancunian I hate to say this, but the best chippies in the world are in Yorkshire
You, sir, have never eaten chips in Wolverhampton High street, sir.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
instant

In my experience this lasts 10 months, and then I became more interested in fruit. I have not had ice cream for months- in the early days it was everyday. I still have chocolate a lot but it has greatly diminished in terms of craving.

Interestingly during this period I lost weight. I think it the body's sugar system sorting itself out. It will in time. I now have faith.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
In my experience this lasts 10 months, and then I became more interested in fruit. I have not had ice cream for months- in the early days it was everyday. I still have chocolate a lot but it has greatly diminished in terms of craving.

Interestingly during this period I lost weight. I think it the body's sugar system sorting itself out. It will in time. I now have faith.
I'm starting to level out at just past a month. Thank god. I don't mind the sugar (and the chocolate) but aren't used to feelin this FULL, you know? I was the typical drink on an empty stomach to get drunker kind of drunk, so only ate after I was pssed, and only once a day. Now I feel overloaded, even tho I'm losin weight.

Gym
Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Diabetes and Sugar Cravings

I know this is an old thread, but it's very relevant for me right now. I am going on my 11th day without alcohol and I'm craving sweets so badly!

I would give in to those urges if it wasn't for the fact that I have uncontrolled diabetes which is one of the main reason I quit alcohol in the first place!

Any other diabetics out there that has some input on this? I recently started using Stevia in my tea but I'm afraid I haven't done a ton of research on that.