Notices

Back again.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again.

Hello all,
I have been avoiding posting in a while because things have not been any different since I last posted in October. Still working and in school. I'm very blessed that I still have a job since I do live in Michigan. Quite a few people I know are out of work. I sometimes feel guilty that there are plenty of more worthy people than myself that are without work but someone that does not take care of themselves like me still has a job.
Well, my wife knows I drink too much but I handle my life actually semi well. I take care all of my responsibilities and actually on the outside I seem to function very well. So, i guess I hide how much I actually drink pretty well from her.
I have shared my concern with my close friends because I really don't want my wife to know how bad it really is. I have a new plan that I think I am going to start tomorrow. I have asked my friends to keep an eye on me and hold me accountable. We have agreed that I need to start weening myself instead of just stopping because I don't want to get sick. Again, I'm trying to keep as much as I can from my wife. I just don't want her to know how bad it has gotten and I'd really like to try to quit drinking without her knowing (sound impossible?). Part of my motive is I'd like to lose a bit of weight. So, my thought is if I start taking care of myself and start losing weight I really don't have much of a choice but to quit drinking.
I guess we'll see how it goes.
I'll let you know my progress.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome back! Glad you are here.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome back
I hid the severity of my drinking from my husband, until I finally decided to be done for good. Being honest with him only helped 1. him understand how important it was that I quit, and quit for good and 2. anchored my committment to fixing this, with someone other than myself. I wasn't able to be honest with him about it until I really wanted to quit, as I knew it would extend the accountability outside myself. I didn't want that when I wasn't ready..

That's just me though, and my situation.. I hope you find the support you're looking for here!!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome back,

I wish you well!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Jason,

You're on the right track and I hope you can taper off, cause Lord knows I tried a thousand times. I've finally admitted that even one drink is way to much for me. I'm even afraid of driving by my old bar hangout, because my jeep seems to want to pull in every time I go by there. I'm thinkng of getting a new jeep, to stop that problem.

Are you sure your wife doesn't really know? Mine sure did. I thought I had the wool pulled over her eyes, but I discovered I was the one who was wearing the wool cap.

In the long run, it's really something that will help both of you, if you stay sober and make up for lost time, so hang in there and keep us posted.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
Hey Jason,
Are you sure your wife doesn't really know?
I'm sure she probably knows more than I think. But, I am pretty sure she doesn't know the full extent of it. She'll comment on it occasionally but just kind of inquiring I think.
My reason of thinking that she doesn't really know the extent of it is because she'll occasionally ask me how much I had to drink. I'll tell her the truth.
But, (lucky me) she has really only asked me on my very light days. On those days I'll tell her 4-5 beers. She'll act shocked and say things like "No wonder you don't feel well"
But on my normal days I can drink a 12 pack to a case. (I'm glad she has never asked on those days)
Old 03-14-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, it has been 6 days since I posted last. I am down a few pounds and definitely down a few beers. No real change yet as I am slowly trying to reduce my intake. I am having some pretty nasty headaches but I don't know if that is alcohol withdraw or diet coke withdraw. Probably the later.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2009, 12:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Jason...I quit drinking Diet Coke at home this year.
No headaches and I did lose 8 lebs.

6 days ...6 less beers is a taper. One a day.
Is that what you have done?

Best of luck to you and your wife
Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post

6 days ...6 less beers is a taper. One a day.
Is that what you have done?

More or less. Some days a few less. some days it stays the same.
One nice thing this week. I haven't awoken in the morning sick yet this week.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

congradulations jason....keep on the path towards a new life

you can live the life of your dreams, AND it will take a lot of work. you can also get sober and still live pretty much the same life that you have now without drinking.
either way those two options are better than what we had in the past.

keep up the good work
Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Maybe just have 1 or 2 diet cokes a day for awhile.. Instead of trying to quit both at the same time.. Would be very hard.. Just like one day at a time, one substance at a time.. 1 soda every day won't hurt ya..