Notices

Alcoholism is hereditary

Old 03-08-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is hereditary

Having read a few books, including Under the Influence which was recommended on SR I was hoping that we could all share as to family members who were/are alcoholics.

Although there is no signs of alcoholism on my Mother's side on the father's the following:

Great Grandma and Grandpa - Alcoholism (killed them)
Great Uncle - Alcoholism (killed him)
Great Aunite - Alcoholism (killed her)

My grandmother was an only child and was as mad as a brush, my father drank heavily and now controls his drinking. I am alcoholic (obviously!). My brother is a heavy binge drinker and is 3 years younger than me (don't think he is an alcoholic though?!).

Thought this may be of interest for newcomers?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Many traits are inherited but is alcoholism a genetic or exposed inheritence? I have not found a diffinative answer, have you? My father was known to drink a lot but I never witnessed him drunk. He passed at 47yo and his original death cert. said cod was alcoholism, I contested and had it changed. He never said he was an alcoholic.
This topic came up in a mtg and the many responses enlightened me.
Those with long time sobriety said that only an alcoholic can say they are an alcoholic, it was not for them to judge.
Interesting?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

The only family member I believe for certain was an alcoholic was one of my two sisters. She could not stop drinking even after being told that continuing to do so would kill her. Eighteen months ago, it did. Although, she never fully accepted her alcoholism and if only the alcoholic can say for certain, I guess she could have been just a really heavy drinker?

My other sister drinks but she can and does stop at 1 or 2 glasses of wine.

My parents both drank alcoholically. My mother until she died from cancer, my father until he was 70, decided to stop, and did.

My mother's parents did not drink at all. I am told my father's parents liked their Scotch but I have no memories of them, so I can't say whether they were alcoholics. If they were, it's not something we would ever have discussed because in my family we didn't have problems, we drank.

Me? I was on the same train as my dead sister but I got off it and got onboard the recovery train. I am an alcoholic who no longer has to drink.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know of no one on either side of my family who drinks too much or has a problem with it... I don't even know if anyone in my whole family drinks at all. So I have the dubious distinction of being the first and only alcoholic in my family...
Old 03-08-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I'm the only alcoholic on either side of my family. There are sketchy stories about one of my mom's uncles who drank too much, but nothing concrete.

I hesitate to say that "alcoholism is hereditary, full stop." It certainly has genetic components, but I don't think it's as simple as that. Just from my own observation, it seems more likely that there's a whole range of genes that may contribute to addiction, along with upbringing and random quirks of personality.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On my mother’s side:
My grandfather, 2 aunts, 1 uncle, at least four cousins, and my brother.

And that is just the short list. I believe the alcoholism is very much hereditary.

In my case – if you add American Indian heritage, alcoholism is just waiting to blossom in my bloodline. I believe the seed for alcoholism was planted long before my inception, and me being the gifted gardener that I am simply fertilized that seed until it grew into its full potential: alcoholism.

I believe that the inherent quality of alcoholism is very much like a seed – it can lay dormant for yeara, never grow; BUT if you feed it correctly it will thrive.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=deezaldog;2140447]Many traits are inherited but is alcoholism a genetic or exposed inheritence? QUOTE]

My father has drank heavily as long as I have been old enough to be aware of my surroundings. He was the typical 'come home from work and have several martinis' business man. He has never admitted he was an alcoholic and if he is, he is certainly high functioning. He is in his 80s now and is still very disciplined, but don't get between him and his bottle of gin at 5:00 or you will be mowed down.

Am I am alcoholic by genetics or because I mirrored what I thought was normal behavior in drinking everyday? I remember reading Drinking, A love Story by Caroline Knapp where she talks about feeling a connection to her father when she orders his favorite drink. That really resonated with me.

I do also have a maternal uncle who is a recovering alcoholic.

Interesting thread.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Tho I hate the term 'alcoholic', I'll use it here. My parents were alcoholics, and haven't drank for 15 years. If/when I have a kid, he or she wont have an alcoholic parent, and I'm happy about that!!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Both of my parents, and their fathers were alcoholics. My mom passed away last May. My Dad just picked up his 4 year chip. I'm very proud of him. My childhood was not so great, I basicly raised myself. I always swore that I'd never drink, and I didn't. But I am a recovering opiate/cocaine addict, 163 days clean. I have decided to obstain from every thing that I could become addicted to, including alcohol, even though I never drank before. I'm doing this because I realize that I've inherited this addictive gene that keeps me from doing anything in moderation.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been in AA a long time and have seen lots of people die of suicides,auto accidents,liver diseases and a lot of other things caused by "heavy drinking",yet the offical cause of death is mostly something else{trauma,heart failure etc.} A lot of the ones I knew were in and out of the rooms and just could'nt "get it" You are right in saying it has to be you to admit you are a alcoholic and when you do that you are on the path to a new You Its been a great ride !!!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

I am with DZ on this I don't know if it was nature/nuture or if I just had some self-fulfilling prophecy going but I do have a large history of drinking in my family:

Both Grandfathers were alcoholics
Father is an alcoholic and stopped on his own and hasn't drank for something like 15 years.
(I have many siblings so this is 2 out of 7 besides myself)
My little sister is a drug addict in recovery
Younger brother is a binge drinker... no clue what he is
Old 03-08-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I truly believe that there is a gene that is passed along to some family members, if not all. I don't want to start a debate over whether everyone has the gene or not, just sharing my opinions. The branches of my Family Tree just seem to drip with alcoholism and other addictive behaviors.

My Father was dry for several years when he passed away from Cancer/Sudden Heart Attack. Even though he had not drank for many years, the effects of alcoholism on his body were listed as a contributing factor on his Death Certificate.

Dad has told me many horrifying stories of his own Father's alcoholism. He died at the age of 43, a cause of death was never determined but Dad told me that what he knew from his own experience of what alcohol did to his own body, he believes his Father died from Alcoholism.

My Dad also said that his Paternal Grandparents, as well as many Aunts & Uncles on his side of the family were definately alcoholics. This was something that was not really talked about in that era (1940's - 1950's) so there is no diagnosis' to back this up.

I have a cousin who passed away at the age of 43 from his body shutting down from the effects of alcoholism. I had shared this last year with everyone here on SR. He was my Dad's Sister's Son.

While Mom has never seemed to have a problem with addiction, many signs are showing now. She is extremely dependent on any kind of pill. A simple thing will happen, such as the batteries go out in her remote, and he gets all upset and will begin asking for a nerve pill (benzos) then a pain pill (opiates) and if it is too soon for either one of these, she begins saying that she needs insulin(she has very mild Diabetes, controlled just by diet) she will say she is nauscous so the nurses will give her a pill for nausea. Mom seems to be addicted to any kind of pill.

My sister died from cirrhosis of the liver at the age of 26. I am an addict/alcoholic. My only other sibling, a brother who is two years older than myself did just about every drug under the sun back in our teens and twenties but he could take it or leave it. He could buy some cocaine for example on a Monday and save it until the weekend. Not me.

My Mom's only brother died from alcoholism at the age of 41. Mom's Dad was an alcoholic but just went cold turkey one day and never drank again. A few of Mom's Aunts and Uncle's were alcoholics but again, it was never spoken of. Mom can remember their behaviors and feels that they definately had severe drinking problems.

I have several second cousins on my Mom's side of the family who have either been in treatment or in my opinion as well as many other family members opinions, need to go to treatment for alcoholism/drug addiction.

My Mom's one sister will admit that she has a problem with pills and drinking, in her words, but will not go as far as to say she's an alcohlic or addict. I think she feels that this is some horrible thing "to have." But she praises me for getting Clean & Sober and into Recovery.

Hopefully my Son will be the first to break this cycle and his branch on the Family Tree will be a new beginning for a healthy family. I have shared before that he is very anti drugs and alcohol. I believe a big part of this is because he saw first hand what this disease did to me, it nearly cost me my life. He lived with me until he was 12 years old. Everytime he sneezed, coughed, whatever, I was giving him a pill, whether it be a cold pill, a tylenol . . . this was a behavior I learned from my Mom. After Brandon went to live with his Dad, he saw that this wasn't normal. Now I feel as though he has taken it to the other extreme just a bit too much. He can have a terrible head or chest cold, be sick for days and he will not take a pill for anything. There are times where I get so frustrated at him for not taking a decongestant when he is so obviously stuffed up but then I need to remember why,more than likely, he is feeling this way about pills. Me. My DOC was pills.

Thanks for letting me share on what I feel is a very interesting topic.

Judy