Notices

Into the Lions den with Samson...

Old 03-06-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Into the Lions den with Samson...

Since I have retreated into a somewhat isolated existence, my friends miss me and are asking me to come to a party on Saturday night. It will be great to get out. I often didn't go out because I knew if I would be drinking I didn't want to drive, and since there is ZERO public transport in San Diego, I often opted not to go. Well this Lion's Den of a party will have many friends from TJ, my best pal, and numerous others who will want me to party with them. My pal knows I am on the wagon for 30 days, but he is also from Czech Republic and is as stubborn as they come. I havent partied in 5 days and feel great and I know there will be temptation for sure. Any advice....? Happy Friday Everyone!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JerryBear2009 View Post
Since I have retreated into a somewhat isolated existence, my friends miss me and are asking me to come to a party on Saturday night. It will be great to get out. I often didn't go out because I knew if I would be drinking I didn't want to drive, and since there is ZERO public transport in San Diego, I often opted not to go. Well this Lion's Den of a party will have many friends from TJ, my best pal, and numerous others who will want me to party with them. My pal knows I am on the wagon for 30 days, but he is also from Czech Republic and is as stubborn as they come. I havent partied in 5 days and feel great and I know there will be temptation for sure. Any advice....? Happy Friday Everyone!
Little confused here, is this some sort of experiment, 30 days on the wagon? If so, what is your purpose for the experiment?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JerryBear2009 View Post
This has me written all over it, and not just because you said Samson instead of Daniel. I was a little over two weeks when I had a conference with several coworkers that I have been 'partying' with for years. We had a vendor sponsor an open bar and I went to eat. They tempted and prodded and surprisingly, all my co-workers did was **** me off to the point where I wouldn't drink a beer for a million dollars.

You are better off avoiding these situations but if you decide to go here is my advice:
1) Decide you will not drink before you go (I prayed for strength, if that's your thing).
2) Have an O'Douls or soda over rocks. You'll be surprised how comfortable you are around your friends as long as you have something in your hand.
3) If you feel tempted beyond reason, get out.

My $.02.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Not too sure about the 30 day thing.. but ok. Drink something else, there's gonna be stubborn friends everywhere. If your friends know that you're taking a 'break' (is that what it is?) from drinking, it sure wouldn't be very friend like for them to encourage you to drink. Kinda makes it easy to tell who real friends are!

Or just don't go..
Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the sound words. What advice was given to me by members of this board, as well as local AA people, is to take 30 days alcohol free and attend meetings and see if the stories sound like me. If I find my situation in a number of their stories, then I will need to quit, however, my progression may not be to the extent of others. That's where I am headed at currently. I was hoping to let the "data drive the decisions".
Old 03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Well I can tell you once a few years ago when I was on sober attempt number 39109 I had a few days sober and tried to go to a party where I was gonna remain sober..........I was drinking even before I got there.

You know you don't have to become a recluse, though that does seem to come with the territory at least at first. But why try to stick your hand in a alligators mouth and see if you can draw your hand back before it snaps shut. Sure you might make it, but what do you do when he lunges forward and tries to take another bite at you?

I would say politely decline the invitation, and try to avoid party situations at least till you have some more solid time under your belt. If you insit on going, well, bring your lion tammers gear with you.