Notices

Day 1

Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

I'm sitting here crying and throwing up....I just can't get it right....day 1 again.....:praying
Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Well

you're still trying.

Are you going to AA?? It's easier to have some support to help you. What triggered you to drink?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Captain, I just can't get it right...Something makes me believe that I can have a couple of drinks and be OK. But I really can not. I take the first one, and can't stop. I feel really crappy.........I need major help. Thank you for listening.....
Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

That's why you need to do everything you can to NOT take that first drink. Hang in there.

What can we do to help you today?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Shygirl View Post
Captain, I just can't get it right...Something makes me believe that I can have a couple of drinks and be OK. But I really can not. I take the first one, and can't stop. I feel really crappy.........I need major help. Thank you for listening.....

We call this cunning, baffling and powerful. A true alcoholic continues on for ever without help, thinking they can drink.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Many on this site are in the AA program. Some on here have tried an alternative method.

One thing for certain, I couldn't quit drinking on my own. I had to have support.
If, what you say is true, you really should leave the door open for AA or another method of support.

Life is far too short to be miserable
Old 03-04-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shygirl,

Recognize that the addict voice is trying to win. You can listen to the voice, recognize it for what it is and dismissit.

I am so glad that you are back!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back shygirl! :ghug3
Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Glad you came back back Shygirl.
Don't give up. Keep trying.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

how many of us here DON'T know exactly what you are going through?!!! YOU ARE NOT ALONE, my dear. and you SEE. you are here, right?! so, hey, there's something inside of you telling you you need help, you want help, and you're gonna ask for it. which is what you're doing. i'm really proud of you. and you should be too. the programs of AA/NA/CA, etc. are very simple. they're designed that way because us drinkers and users tend to be pretty darn complicated people! but...it's not easy. that's the reality of it. we've got the books, the literature, the rooms full of others just like ourselves, the fellowship (friends who really care and are compassionate). that's all the simple part. but the not so easy part is taking the first step and once we have, applying what we learn on a daily basis. so all i'm saying is give yourself a break and take the first step. and i don't care how many times you've already taken it. take it again and leave all the ways that held you back behind you and look for something new. it's there, you just gotta look for it. attitude and action! baby steps. all those "cliches" we've heard 40 million times!! but you gotta ask why they're still around after all these years. THEY WORK - WHEN WE WORK THEM! we all have the confidence that you can be just like we are - sober - one day at a time. hang in there. it only gets better.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Shygirl View Post
Something makes me believe that I can have a couple of drinks and be OK. But I really can not. I take the first one, and can't stop. I feel really crappy.........I need major help.
One thing I've reminded myself of for the past 1,471 days......I can never safely drink alcohol again. To drink is to die.

Also.......Nobody ever died from not taking another drink.

Abstinence, the old-timers taught me the simple things first. Help was free in the form of AA and God. Well, not exactly free, I put a dollar or more in basket every night. It's a pittance compared to what I've received in return.

You can do this Shygirl, look around SR and you'll see that every single one of us are winners, there are no losers in recovery.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There are SR members who do not use AA
and they have quit drinking.

It's possible for you too...

Blessings to you and your family
Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Hey ShyGirl! Hang in there!

Great to meet you and hope to see you around!

Lemme send some strength and some love your way!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Shygirl, I have been in your place so many times. Yesterday was Day 1 for me AGAIN, and I felt despairing about it. I laid in bed crying and thinking "never again!" but still doubted myself, because I've been there before. However, I went a little over a week sober toward the end of last month, and it felt great. So, today I'm happy to report that it is day 2 for me, and tomorrow can be day 2 for you if are tired/scared/disgusted/hopeful enough. Best wishes to you -- stay strong!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Shygirl, I just got through day 4 and was way better than 1 2 & 3, have faith in yourself and stay strong