Notices

AA Misconceptions

Old 02-27-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

AA Misconceptions

Hello everyone!

Two of the most common misconceptions concerning AA that I've noticed on this forum is the following;

1- "AA says you are not sober if you take medication."

2- "AA is a bunch of holy rollers."

The following quote is in the chapter, Forward to the 2nd Edition, and can be found in editions 2 - 4 of the text of Alcoholics Anonymous..and I quote;

"Alcoholics Anonymous is not a religious organization. Neither does A.A. take any particular medical point of view, though we cooperate widely with the men of medicine as well as with the men of religion."

And to clarify, no I am not an "AA zealot". In fact I resisted AA for years, and when I finally did go...took no suggestions; until I was in enough pain to try it 'their way'. I only have 70 something days sober, but I got a sponsor and am working the steps. FOR ME...it is my only hope of lasting sobriety.

Thank you for listening.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad AA works for you, SeaHorse.

There are many ways to recover, and it's great that we have lots of different ideas on this forum.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on your 70 days! And your massive strides into sobriety. Great post
Old 02-27-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

I second what Anna said.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I third what Anna said.:ghug3

Oh yes, big congrats on your sober time!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nicely said Seahorse. Congratulations on the 70+ days. Good observations in regards to the posts on here. Thanks for sharing your ESH.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I would love AA.. if it were secular.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info my Friend =) And what do you mean "only" 70 days? That ROCKS! :ghug3
Old 02-27-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

The word higher power and "God" is written and spoken too many times in AA for them not to admit they are of a relious nature. However if going to AA is what it takes to get you sober, do it. Personally, I would prefer to hang with Doorknb.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovinmenow View Post
The word higher power and "God" is written and spoken too many times in AA for them not to admit they are of a relious nature. However if going to AA is what it takes to get you sober, do it. Personally, I would prefer to hang with Doorknb.
I agree with this completely.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

id prefer to hang with everyone.........

Because we all had or have a common dilema...once we started drinking we had big problems stopping.

Thats what ties me to this site..........im amongst people that know how it feels to be cornered by alcohol.....or drugs come to that cos its all the same to me.

I dont care if you sit in a tree...dressed as batman and singing Gloria Gaynor songs to stay sober.....we have a common goal......staying sober and thats what counts to me...

I come here to share and converse with other people like me...and for me a reap a huge benefit

Yes i am a AA member.......i reap huge benefits from that as well.

And i hope....in fact i know that others reap huge benefits from other support groups.........fanstatic...

Recovery has given me the benefit of being able to have a open mind and accept people for there views and opinions.

Lets all rejoice that we have found a way to LIVE contented sobriety.

Thats our ultimate goal right ?...................trucker
Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's great to have an opinion but the guy has 70 days sober and is going strong. Why not stick up some real sober dates and the things that you are doing to keep sober rather than the constant knocking if AA. It would be useful to point out these alternatives and how they are working for us.

I'll start

Sobriety date 15th October 2008
Going to alcohol counselor twice a week, one individual one group, working on lifestyle changes and new social skills

Last edited by yeahgr8; 02-27-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: empasis
Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

SeaHorse, thanks for shareing your joy
Congratulations on your recovery time....
Old 02-27-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
It's great to have an opinion but the guy has 70 days sober and is going strong. Why not stick up some real sober dates and the things that you are doing to keep sober rather than the constant knocking if AA. It would be useful to point out these alternatives and how they are working for us.

I'll start

Sobriety date 15th October 2008
Going to alcohol counselor twice a week, one individual one group, working on lifestyle changes and new social skills
You are absolutely correct and thanks for pointing this out. MAJOR CONGRATS to Seahorse on 70 days. 6
Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just for the record...Seahorse is a Girl =)
Old 02-27-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I thought that after i posted and played the odds 50/50 and lost, sorry Seahorse!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As far as my alcoholism goes, it is life or death. As far as there being only one way, I'm sure there are many, I have experience with one, so that's what I share. There are a lot of people who like to share opinions on a program they have never worked, in a fellowship they are not a part of.

The original post was about misconceptions in AA, however, like many other threads, some folks like to get together and bust on what they don't like about AA, There's too much God talk, etc...yeah, we get it. Seems like some of you never miss an opportunity to take a shot, it's getting really old.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
As far as my alcoholism goes, it is life or death. As far as there being only one way, I'm sure there are many, I have experience with one, so that's what I share. There are a lot of people who like to share opinions on a program they have never worked, in a fellowship they are not a part of.

The original post was about misconceptions in AA, however, like many other threads, some folks like to get together and bust on what they don't like about AA, There's too much God talk, etc...yeah, we get it. Seems like some of you never miss an opportunity to take a shot, it's getting really old.
I can appreciate your perspective, but I did smile when allport said friendly debate. Yes, a lot of people have very strong feelings about this or that, but that is ok. Like Trucker said, the thing to remember is that we all have the same and common goal.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree with Rob here.It's getting VERY old.Seahorse had every right to post what they did and express an opinion.Fine if you don't agree too.

My weariness with this topic though comes from the thought that-if you need to tear down someone else's road to recovery then I seriously have to question why?If your particular method-whatever it is-needs you to engage in dissing someone elses then I question just how valid it really is for you?Why is it so hard to accept?

Surely a huge part of recovery is that we become more accepting of other people and the various ways they go about getting and remaining sober?What's to gain in tearing down someone elses way just because it didn't work for you? Do you resent the fact it might work for them?Then that's your problem, no one elses.

I don't even do A.A.But I respect it and have many wonderful friends who are part of it.Just like I have sober friends who are equally as wonderful and don't do it.

If I am happy and grateful for the program that I'm doing-and it's working, then I have no need to be negative about others IMO.

Jules.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I;m closeing this thread for now.
Please relaxx and chill.

Some posts will be removed....by request and by our posting guidelines.

Thanks

Plese follow these guidelines

. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun off, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.

Last edited by CarolD; 02-27-2009 at 08:21 PM.