Notices

Someone just come here and stick me somewhere

Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't really have a therapist in the traditional sense. She just prescribes my meds. I'm constantly on the bipolar rollercoaster.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I hope everything works out well for you. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
I don't really have a therapist in the traditional sense. She just prescribes my meds. I'm constantly on the bipolar rollercoaster.
Oh, I hear ya. I have that too. The deal is that alcohol can trigger both manias and depression, but you already know this. Bipolar is something for which a person self medicates. At least I have. It's a tough combo to have, although in what I've read there is an incidence of around 60% mental illness associated with alcohol dependence. Is she a nurse practitioner? I know they prescribe meds. Having said this, both are hard to treat and must be treated at the same time. This place I am going to is dual diagnosis.

In the old days, they thought you had to address the alcohol issue before the mental health issue. That thinking has now changed. So...don't know what to say, other than it's a tough road to hoe, but can be done. I have found what needs to happen is to stop drinking and let the mental illness surface, which is why I always go back to drinking. It's like I told my p-doc. I either drink or stay in bed - neither of which are good options. Right? Do you deal with manias or depressions primarily?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OzSandy View Post
Katie, good luck to you and I've been thinking of you. I'm glad that you can take your computer and pets with you - please keep us posted. As for going off the meds, I think I'm in agreement with Mamabin. Use this time in the rehab to build up your strength. When I neglect to take my meds, I find that I'm not really able to look at my issues rationally anyway, so going off them may not be what's conducive. But the decision is really for your doctor once they know all your facts and situation.
Thanks so much, OzSandy, it's a huge leap to take, but necessary. I will just follow the advice of the Drs. They are the professionals and get paid the big bucks to do this. I love ya all and you've really helped me. I am going to be sad to not be on here very much. This is a wonderful community. I suppose tomorrow I have to address some things and can't spend 24/7 on the Net. Haha, I think that is yet another addiction.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My depressions are worse. People don't realize how painful depression can be, both physically and mentally. But I feel like a guinea pig trying all these meds to stay level. You're right. I self medicate(d) with alcohol. At least with alcohol, I knew how it would make me feel, even if just for a little while.

She's a nurse practitioner and she's awesome. As for therapy, I believe everyone could use it at some point or other, but I read alot of self help books and I believe I know how my thinking works and why. I have been in therapy.

My manic times come in the form of anxiety mostly. I don't jump off cliffs for fun or anything. I feel like there's a rollercoaster in my head much of the time. I'm hoping that without alcohol, the meds might start doing what they are supposed to.

Sometimes it doesn't take much to push me into an "episode" and right now I'm having problems with my teenager so I'm hoping I don't go into that dark hole.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
My depressions are worse. People don't realize how painful depression can be, both physically and mentally. But I feel like a guinea pig trying all these meds to stay level. You're right. I self medicate(d) with alcohol. At least with alcohol, I knew how it would make me feel, even if just for a little while.

She's a nurse practitioner and she's awesome. As for therapy, I believe everyone could use it at some point or other, but I read alot of self help books and I believe I know how my thinking works and why. I have been in therapy.

My manic times come in the form of anxiety mostly. I don't jump off cliffs for fun or anything. I feel like there's a rollercoaster in my head much of the time. I'm hoping that without alcohol, the meds might start doing what they are supposed to.

Sometimes it doesn't take much to push me into an "episode" and right now I'm having problems with my teenager so I'm hoping I don't go into that dark hole.
Well, I have two Shih Tzu puppies and no teenager, but I can relate. I too deal with the bipolar depression stuff. It's not good. What can we do except to keep fighting the good fight? But I totally understand about feeling like a guinea pig. These drugs are so new and there just is not the science. At times I am afraid these drugs may actually make things worse. Still, the symptoms must be controlled. I had a mixed state and that is how I was Dx'd, even though I was Dx'd many years ago and didn't pay attention.

This is one issue I have with AA and I will share. It is an antiquated thing, not to offend anyone, but I certainly would not expect a Dr. to treat me based on a 70 year old book. That is part of my frustration with this whole deal. Addiction science and psychiatry (which is) has to advance, although there have been strides made in meds. Not to open a can of worms, as that isn't my intention, but I really do have an issue with it.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I don't understand the desire to get off meds. I'm bipolar and I wouldn't go off my meds if someone stuck a gun to my head. That way lies madness.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

The truth is...AA has no stand on whether to take meds or not. AA deals with alcohol only. The big book of AA says some people may require 'outside help' and is fine with that. If anyone in AA says 'don't listen to our dr. ALL meds are bad, that is not true AA'.

And the latest edition of the Big Book is the fourth edition, which was printed in 2001. Not 70 years ago, that is the first edition you are talking about...and I don't know any doctor's who treat their patients based on the big book, that is a sponsor's job.

Not taking offense..just clearing up another misconception! Good luck!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hi Katie,
It sounds like although you are afraid, you are taking proactive steps to get to rehab. As far as the dual diagnosis take it one at a time. Alcohol mixed with drugs cn do strange things to your brain, one of them being paranoia. Once the booze finally wears out and your head is a little clearer you may have more tools to conquer the other stuff. Stay safe and keep us posted. Big hugs!!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Katie -- I hope you made it to rehab!

I'm sending good thoughts your way.
:ghug3
Old 03-02-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you Mle-sober. I needed to hear that. You'd think I'd know better than to mess with my meds by now. Most of it is financial. I just can't afford them. Of course, I know the alternative can be worse. I just hope I can lower the doses at some point. And I know I'm dealing with enough right now without adding to it.