Notices

Mind racing anxiety from opiate abuse

Old 02-26-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mind racing anxiety from opiate abuse

Hey guys ive come off of opiate's now for my third time trying to better my life. My longest stint of sobriety was 4 months. I was going to meetings and everything. But for some odd reason i went back. (Addict). I've been clean for a week now and am pass the physical wd's. But mentally i'm a wreck. When i was in high school i started having serious anxiety to the point where it was hard for me to function i just felt like i was going crazy my mind was racing and i was thinking crazy thoughts that i couldent control anything. These thoughts were not harmfull but just things that scared me so much i thought i was loosing it. Finally i told my parents and we went to a Shrink and he put me on zoloft which helped so much. I was now feeling good and living life in a good way, my problems were fixed. When i graduated high school in 2003, i did the typical college thing moved out with friends and was just having a good time. I was introuduced to opiates from a friend who had some morphine pills. This was the start of a long road down to hell. In a month i was a full blown opiate addict and have been for about 4 years with two stints of 3-4 month sobriety. I know i want to be sober and clean this time around. But to make a long story short. Everytime i take opiates for a long time and decide to come off i start to have this insaine anxiety if you want to call it that. My mind is racing and im having i guess compusive thoughts that don't stop. The first time was the worst because i had been using for such a long time. I thought i needed to be put in a mental ward. I was so scared of what was happening i barely could leave the house. Things started to get a little better before i went back to using again. Last summer when i was clean for four months i was on prozac and i had these feelings a little bit but was able to function a lot better. Because i started to feel better i decided to stop the anti deppresents for the first time since high school. But as my life started to get better i slipped back in to opiates again in october. And have been going full blown since then. This time i decided to stop on my own and give it a third try. But i am now a week clean and am having these mind racing thoughts that are so uncomfortable it is making me depressed. But i am fighting and just hoping i can find a way to live with out drugs or these feelings. I just wanted to know if anyone has gone through this and can give me some insight. To know if this is normal or something else. I pray it is the drug use that did this because i couldent imagine living normally with this forever. Or I am hoping that it is just my underlying problem made ten times worse due to the drugs. Sorry for grammer mistakes. Just wanted to get that out.:praying
Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm a wino and have no experience with opiates, but someone who does will be along shortly.

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 02-26-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I wonder if you`ve talked to your dr about the best way to get off the drugs.

I think it sounds like you stopped taking the antidepressants because you were feeling better. It might be a good idea to talk to your dr about that too. For me, the depression and anxiety came long before the addiction. So, I still take antidepressants.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, isis. keep posting! hugs, k
Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anxiety caused by opiates

Thanks anna i was just wondering if when you came off your anxiety got worse. And were you using opiates.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ISIS21 View Post
Hey guys ive come off of opiate's now for my third time trying to better my life. My longest stint of sobriety was 4 months. I was going to meetings and everything. But for some odd reason i went back. (Addict). I've been clean for a week now and am pass the physical wd's. But mentally i'm a wreck. When i was in high school i started having serious anxiety to the point where it was hard for me to function i just felt like i was going crazy my mind was racing and i was thinking crazy thoughts that i couldent control anything. These thoughts were not harmfull but just things that scared me so much i thought i was loosing it. Finally i told my parents and we went to a Shrink and he put me on zoloft which helped so much. I was now feeling good and living life in a good way, my problems were fixed. When i graduated high school in 2003, i did the typical college thing moved out with friends and was just having a good time. I was introuduced to opiates from a friend who had some morphine pills. This was the start of a long road down to hell. In a month i was a full blown opiate addict and have been for about 4 years with two stints of 3-4 month sobriety. I know i want to be sober and clean this time around. But to make a long story short. Everytime i take opiates for a long time and decide to come off i start to have this insaine anxiety if you want to call it that. My mind is racing and im having i guess compusive thoughts that don't stop. The first time was the worst because i had been using for such a long time. I thought i needed to be put in a mental ward. I was so scared of what was happening i barely could leave the house. Things started to get a little better before i went back to using again. Last summer when i was clean for four months i was on prozac and i had these feelings a little bit but was able to function a lot better. Because i started to feel better i decided to stop the anti deppresents for the first time since high school. But as my life started to get better i slipped back in to opiates again in october. And have been going full blown since then. This time i decided to stop on my own and give it a third try. But i am now a week clean and am having these mind racing thoughts that are so uncomfortable it is making me depressed. But i am fighting and just hoping i can find a way to live with out drugs or these feelings. I just wanted to know if anyone has gone through this and can give me some insight. To know if this is normal or something else. I pray it is the drug use that did this because i couldent imagine living normally with this forever. Or I am hoping that it is just my underlying problem made ten times worse due to the drugs. Sorry for grammer mistakes. Just wanted to get that out.:praying
Hey Isis,

Not sure if you'll ever see this as your post was a few months ago.. But I must say, I am going through the EXACT same problems... I am about 50 days clean off an opiate habit which I stopped cold-turkey... But my problem now is EXTREME racing thoughts/anxiety.. To be honest, I don't think this goes away and is an underlying mental problem that gets partially cured while on the opiates, and exasperated when one goes off.. This has been the hardest part of the entire opiate withdraw/addiction process and I would be happy to speak with you more about it..
Old 05-23-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just so you know...getting off antidepressants is not easy, even in the best case scenario. I am not an addict, but went through the divorce from hell and then my ex-AH started stalking me. I was on antidepressants for about 2 years and tried to go off of them on my own. I had physical as well as mental withdrawals. I was dizzy, had vertigo, could not put a full sentance together, felt like I was in a pea soup fog. I had to wean off of them, breaking them in half than quarters, over a period of a month. I would imagine that along with an addiction of any kind, withdrawals from either/or or simultaneous, must be pure he!! .
Old 05-23-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Isis, I'd suggest that you post this on the Substance Abuse forum. You'll find a lot more people there who have had problems similar to yours. I can't offer any advice as I'm and alcoholic, not an addict. I wish you well. It's going to be a long, hard journey.