Notices

Scared

Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

Hi All
Well I tried on my own and screwed up, started slowly leading to a 5 day session. Calleed AA yesterday and someone came and saw me, today he is taking me to a meeting.
I know it's a day at a time and I've done days at a time but always seem to end back drinking.
I'm sort of scared I will sober up for a bit then when it all feels better I will just start again. Anyway I'm going to a meeting, I want to post on here, read on here and try and get it right this time, I do need it, not far from losing it all, weeks if not days away if I don't stop.
Anyway thanks for reading, I've done say 1 it has been very hard, very hungover and shaking, tomorrow will be better.
Xym
Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad that you posted and know that this can be your last Day 1.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go for it!

:ghug3
Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR Xym! Glad to hear you're going to that meeting, and I hope you continue to go. Instead of drinking when you feel better, how about going to another meeting? It's good to have a plan for your recovery, maybe you could try doing something different, instead of what hasn't worked for you in the past?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xym297 View Post
Hi All
Well I tried on my own and screwed up, started slowly leading to a 5 day session. Calleed AA yesterday and someone came and saw me, today he is taking me to a meeting.
I know it's a day at a time and I've done days at a time but always seem to end back drinking.
I'm sort of scared I will sober up for a bit then when it all feels better I will just start again. Anyway I'm going to a meeting, I want to post on here, read on here and try and get it right this time, I do need it, not far from losing it all, weeks if not days away if I don't stop.
Anyway thanks for reading, I've done say 1 it has been very hard, very hungover and shaking, tomorrow will be better.
Xym
I really think this is so true!!!
thats when I had my slip up. I hadn't drank in weeks, was actually close to my month, & I sort of forgot what a bd hangover felt like, or the sweating at night, or the anxeity that all comes with it.

So like you and I to remind myself one day at a time & keep being true to yourself!

Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies, I got to the meeting felt terrible but it was a really positive meeting so have come out feeling better. Just got to sleep tonight now and keep getting back there. At least for tonight I am sober and that feels good.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Good luck. I did the I hate this because drinking causes me problems and would stop for a week....then trick myself into only buying a little bit, only to get crap wasted a week or so later....rinse and repeat for about one solid year......two years knowing I should be sober....then I finally got it (but it took a series of unfortunate potentially life changing events to get and stay sober)

It does get better.....but as someone once said in relation to the struggles of addiction....."You can't quit something you were doing for years and expect it to be all better in days"
Old 02-25-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi All
Xym
Well, all you can do is hang in there a day at a time. That's all any of us can do. As long as you are not in physical danger of withdrawals, go with it. It will get better. I actually think a hangover is a good sign! It means your body is rejecting the alcohol. I never get hungover and wish I were a vomiter, actually. At any rate, please keep posting and it will be ok!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Scared, One day at a time, one minute at a time. Go to a meeting. Pay attention. Fight for your sobriety. :praying We're all here to support you. Good Luck and God Bless
Old 02-25-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi All
Xym

Thank you for sharing with us! My experience has been when I try on my own... I just can't make it stick long!! All those alcoholic (demonic, crazy, insane) voices in my head... I can't handle on my own. I need to talk to another alkie/addict who can relate to the "chatter" that convinces me that I can drink differently this time.... Only 1 bottle...etc. It never works that way... I can't have "just one" of anything!

I have that fear too that I sober up for a bit, feel "healthy" all the way around, then next thing I know -- it's 10 days later after 24/7 drinking! Try to not dwell on what it's "always" been like... as it can be different this time for you! Today is all that matters and just the fact that you're here, you've contacted AA, you've met another sober person and are willing to go to a meeting --- IS HUGE!!! I bet these things didn't happen last time???!!

TODAY is all we/you have. Yesterday is gone and unchangeable. Tomorrow is a blessing to grab onto if we stay sober today! Thank you for being here today! You've helped me stay sober another minute/hour longer!

Hugs! :ghug3
Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Thanks for the replies, I got to the meeting felt terrible but it was a really positive meeting so have come out feeling better. Just got to sleep tonight now and keep getting back there. At least for tonight I am sober and that feels good.
Welcome xym. I posted on here yesterday that I found myself telling myself "remember how good you feel right now." Like you said, tonight you go to sleep sober. The great thing about tomorrow, you will wake up sober. Just keep reflecting on how good it is and you will be able to do it day by day, with all of us.

Chris
Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi xym
welcome to SR
I am glad you are here
you can do this...
ODAAT
this is a great place, have a look around and keep posting
Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello XYM,
Welcome to the SR community!
A Day At A Time is what I go by, but there is no guarantee of what tomorrow will bring.
This is why I don't make promises unless I truly know I "will" keep them.
I'm only living in the moment, because if I think too hard about tomorrow, then I will start to feel panicky and scared inside.
Keep coming back, we are in this together my friend.
God Bless and hugs :ghug3
XOXO