Notices

My oldest friend commited suicide

Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My oldest friend commited suicide

I am completely flabbergasted right now.

I have a friend that I met when I was 15...17 years ago (almost 18). She and I have a long history together. She made me laugh at some of my worse times and was like a 'big sister' to me when I was younger and later a friend who understood my whole history. When I came out (as gay) my brother came to the coffee shop we all hung out with and threatened me. She and her girlfriend stood behind me (literally) and made it so he couldn't hurt me. That amongst so many other things.

I loved her so much and I found out this morning that she committed suicide on the 16th and was buried on my birthday (the 24th). I hadn't talked to her for a year. We didn't see each other as much because I moved from Oregon to Texas 5 years ago.

I am so worried about her family and partner. She was only 38 and she and her partner got married last year in California.

I'm not going to drink over this, but I did realize that I had a friend die last year suddenly and I spent the week of her funeral drinking at 1pm and going until I couldn't stand or talk anymore. I called my partner to come pick me up the day of the funeral and she couldn't understand what I was saying.

I am really feeling this much more then I did my friend last year, who was my first friend in Austin and died suddenly.

Did anyone here experience something like this when newly sober? Was it different than when you were drinking?

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am so sorry for the sudden tragic death of your good friend. Remember, drinking won't do anyone any good, especially you. Please stay sober thru this sorrow. :ghug3
Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A couple of friends over the past five years have decided to end their life.

Both had multi years sober/clean time....both had returned to drinking/using.

Very sad.......for the familys...and friends.

i felt numb really...........then angry for a good while....at addiction and the ripple effect on peoples lives.

I believe they are both in a place of peace..love and warmth.........

thankyou for sharing that.....god be with the family..................trucker
Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. I have not been stuck at this fork in the road yet. You are apparently a very strong person. Take care of yourself.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss, I lost my best friend to bone cancer literally found out he had it on a Thursday before I could get to him on Wensday he was gone, there is no explaining the whys and hows of it, things just happen for some reason or other......Thank you for turning to SR and I pray that you will find comfort in knowing that she is watching over you now, Good Luck and God Bless!

Pamm
Old 02-25-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and her family.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberforME View Post
I am completely flabbergasted right now.

I have a friend that I met when I was 15...17 years ago (almost 18). She and I have a long history together. She made me laugh at some of my worse times and was like a 'big sister' to me when I was younger and later a friend who understood my whole history. When I came out (as gay) my brother came to the coffee shop we all hung out with and threatened me. She and her girlfriend stood behind me (literally) and made it so he couldn't hurt me. That amongst so many other things.

I loved her so much and I found out this morning that she committed suicide on the 16th and was buried on my birthday (the 24th). I hadn't talked to her for a year. We didn't see each other as much because I moved from Oregon to Texas 5 years ago.

I am so worried about her family and partner. She was only 38 and she and her partner got married last year in California.

I'm not going to drink over this, but I did realize that I had a friend die last year suddenly and I spent the week of her funeral drinking at 1pm and going until I couldn't stand or talk anymore. I called my partner to come pick me up the day of the funeral and she couldn't understand what I was saying.

I am really feeling this much more then I did my friend last year, who was my first friend in Austin and died suddenly.

Did anyone here experience something like this when newly sober? Was it different than when you were drinking?

Thanks for reading.
To be honest the last few yrs I was drunk at most funerals I went to. Even at my grandpas to the point that I had to puke in the cemetary after his service.

Im so sorry you are going through this & for your friends family.
:praying
Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sorry for your loss.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

I lost a friend that way once and I felt guilty for a long time because I wasn't able to save him from himself.
My heart goes out to you.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss!!!!! I lost one of my best friends to suicide when I was 18 years old, it was the beginning of my 10 year downward spiral. I became sober on his 11 year anniversary... I am not only staying sober for me, but for him too!

I pray that you will stay strong during this time!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

I am sorry for the loss of your friend.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. Please take good care of yourself. It must have been a terrible shock to find out and brought up a lot of stuff re your brother etc. that can't be easy reliving all of that.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Sober,
I'm sorry about your friend...she sounded like a wonderful person.
May God be with you!
Hang in there.
Hugs to you
XOXO
Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

soberforme,so sorry to hear of your friend.
In early sobriety I did lose a good friend.He was a good guy and we worked together and went to meetings together.He just could not stay sober over a month or two.One day we got word they found him in a motel room dead.He ended his own life.
I still remember him 19 years later and think of him often.There is a small meeting near my home.I go sometimes and once I opened up a 12x12.There inside was his name.
We still remember him and you will remember your friend for life.
So tragic to see this happening.I just try and hold onto the good memories we had together.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone.

I found out that she really planned this. She had a list of people that she wanted contacted and I was on the list. I've been notifying other friends throughout yesterday.

I had a show last night and was ok. I prayed to my HP for the strength to stay strong and sober. I succeeded on both, even when a woman offered me a shot for my b-day. I told her I didn't drink but would welcome a red bull. (I had 4, it was a bit out of control, LOL)

I talked to the owner of the club that I do a comedy night for once a month and next months show will benefit Gay and Lesbian suicide prevention. It's a huge problem in our community and we have a much higher chance of committing suicide and abusing drugs/alcohol because a lot of times our parents/support systems have feelings/don't want to know about being gay.

I am still so very sad for her and her family and will miss her always.

There's still loose ends to tie up, but I am really grateful that this place exists. Your words help me keep in mind my goals and the reasons I stay sober and I can't tell you how much that means.

((EVERYONE))