Notices

new thread that sounds stupid?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi there

I think you ought to be guided by your counselor. It is all very well us giving advice here but we do not have all the information that they have nor do we actually see you in person. You know that the goal for any alcoholic must be total sobriety, but have yourself a bit of chill out pie for lunch today and keep going to the IOP counselling, and AA sober, and try with all your heart to stick to the plan they have set for you.

Keep posting, keep to the schedule, and stop feeling guilty and remourceful...you are doing something about it now and you will get to where you want to be if you keep trying. You have come a long way in the short time you have been coming to SR, i remember your earlier posts as they were not exactly full of hope, look how you are writing now!

:ghug3
Old 02-25-2009, 12:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think a drinking schedule is a very good idea. Unfortunately for me I would never stick to it. If it said take two drinks tonight, then I would end up taking two bottles instead. I hope it works for you jowinbo.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"... What blows my mind is how little abuse and trauma is talked about in the recovery community. I think that this is a major, major failing since they seem so intrinsically linked..."

I've found that these issues are talked about in some recovery communities, but not in AA/NA meetings, but definitely in the meetings before/after the meetings.....

Even though abuse/trauma/etc. are often intrinsically linked with alcoholism/addiction; they may be underlying issues for a person's using; however, as AA has a singleness of purpose (alcohol/alcoholism and recovery from this), these issues would be considered 'outside issues' and this would also be true with NA/CA/MA/etc. In its early years, AA learned that they could not be all things to all people...so AA deals with recovery from alcoholism and NA deals with recovery from addiction.....and these 'outside issues' can be dealt with professionally elsewhere.

I've found that during the AA/NA step process (working the program), a person can start looking at these issues, but to really work on them, I've found it preferable to seek counsel from professionals (licensed therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, whomever.....at least, IMHO, this is what I've seen work best.....

Now, jowimbo, as to your 'schedule'.....? As you've said....what can it hurt? It seems you've gone through a lot of try's, and had your setbacks (woohoo, a new euphemism for slips/relapses....lol), perhaps this will help you get to the point of total abstinence.....for good 'n all.....here's lookin' at you, kid.... (o:

NoelleR
Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by jowinbo View Post
what is HR? that maybe what they are trying to do? every time i relaspe, i want to harm myself?
is that what you mean?

hagn God bless
What is Harm Reduction and How Do I Practice It?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

LOL

I'm so far ahead on my drinking schedule, I'll have to live to be 150

Hate to dissallusion, you but this isn't a good thing or, we'd all be doing it. I have one drink, it leads to two and three and four.

Like to hear more about your AA experience. Do you have a sponsor? How many meetings are you attending a week? I had to devote as much time to my sobriety early in recovery as, I was to my drinking!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This is how my head works....

A few years ago there was a treatment centre in a city not far from me that was.....attempting to make controlled drinkers out of alcoholics...

Some sort of self empowerment programme..

You were allowed 1 drink a night.....and it was monitored over a period.

When i heard of it i thought.....sounds like an idea...

My next thought was....i wonder if they let you save up your allowance till the weekend so you can get blasted....lol...lol...

Im not judging it............it just wouldnt work for me.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

ty so much!

i thankyou for the info, i read the whole site and printed it out, ty! this is what my counselor was talking about! i do not know if makes sence to alot of us, but it does to me?
it is kinda like when i want to go on a diet......all i think about is FOOD! and i eat more?
i am just kinda backwoks, i guess and rebellious! this just might work for me, i hope!!!

ty again!

:ghug2
Old 02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

ty so much

zencat!!!!!!!