SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I Have To Get Blood Work Done, Im Scared (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/170234-i-have-get-blood-work-done-im-scared.html)

cmb 02-24-2009 05:37 PM

I Have To Get Blood Work Done, Im Scared

I went to the docs today and have to get blood work done. I have To get tested for Hep A B C and HIV along with annual blood work Im really scared because I started shooting up 6 months ago. Ive never shared a needle but I have used the same water, spoon, and cotton as people who have Hep C. Im not sure if you can contract it this way but im scared. If you have any words of encouragement I could really use them right now Thanks For Everything:dunno

jch116 02-24-2009 05:42 PM

I feel for you, I remember once getting tested for HIV after dating someone I hadn't known was a IV drug user. The waiting is the hardest part. I don't know too much about the transmission of Hep C but I know that blood to blood is the most common contact. Good luck to you and try not to drive yourself crazy worrying about it. The good news is that you will probably be fine and then you will never have to worry about it again if it comes out clean, if you really want to quit. Keep posting, there are a lot of good people who are here for support.. it's helped me tremendously.

C23 02-24-2009 05:43 PM

CMB, I really don't have any experience here, but all I can say is that I think it is better to go to the doctor and get tested for anything that may be possible so it can be treated. God willing, everything comes back fine and you will use this as motivation to never use. We are all here for you if you need to talk. Welcome to SR.

cmb 02-24-2009 05:53 PM

Thanks for replying so soon guys, Im not really worried so much about the HIV as I am th HEP A,B, and C. I know that it can be transmitted through blood among other things and even though I never used a dirty needle I have used water, spoon, and cotton after someone who repeatedly used the same needle which means it was contaminated. I never really thought about it until now and now Im scared.

KenL 02-24-2009 05:59 PM

I don't know if this is encouraging or not. It's the first thing that came to my mind....I will pray for you. Hep C is spread by blood to blood contact so if that hasn't happened then you have a reason to think positively. Additionally, many people who have it can be treated with anti-viral meds. That's another reason to think positively.

The best news I can tell you is that you have a choice to either keep using or to stop. Seems to me that stopping is your only real choice when you look at what is facing you now. Your bloodwork may turn up negative, what will you do if it does?

Peace,
Ken

Fubarcdn 02-24-2009 06:01 PM

Good luck cmb. I hope things turn out fine for you. The good news is that the chances of HIV infection are miniscule. I cannot find much on Hep but my good thoughts are with you. Hopefully this will be your wake up call to stop using.

Anna 02-24-2009 06:15 PM

Hi,

I'm sure this is scary for you, but I will send lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Let us know how it turns out.

serenityqueen 02-24-2009 06:26 PM

Hopefully this is something that you can keep in the back of your mind if you ever think of using again. This is a perfect example of why it's good not to shut the door on your past, there's things we need to remember, for reasons just like this.

On the flip side, from my understanding from what several people I know who shot dope have said, it's very rare to get Hep C this way. A good friend of mine shot dope for years and contacted Hep C, but he shared needles with someone who hadn't yet been diagnosed. He is in pretty good health though. I think today it's not as serious as it was years ago. . . there's lots of meds out there.

Hopefully this is just a really good scare and wake up call for you. Did the Dr.'s office give you an idea of how long it takes for the results to come back? Just remember, worrying isn't going to change anything, just ask your HP to give you the strength to handle whatever the results are.

God Bless,
Judy

nobodyknows 02-24-2009 06:29 PM

good luck :ghug3

flutter 02-24-2009 06:44 PM

I don't have much experience with this stuff, but I think Ken raised a good point.. if all is well, will you still want to stay clean?

cmb 02-28-2009 03:00 PM

thanks 4 all ur help and prayers but there is a big epedemic in bay city with hep c but i will try and stay positive and use this as a reason to try and stay clean

nickishine 02-28-2009 03:17 PM

Hi CMB... :c009:

I understand and empathize with your fear! I just had a bunch of blood work done myself, and was relieved to KNOW the outcome... as it was fine with just some minor stuff. But "waiting" for the results... I didn't know what to expect,... except the worst - naturally!

It will be good to know "what is" so you'll know how to treat it, if that be the case.

In the meantime, 'lots of prayers from me for you, CMB! I pray all will be "okay"! Just for today.... Don't Drink, K???! :)

:praying

nickishine 02-28-2009 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by nickishine (Post 2129577)
In the meantime, 'lots of prayers from me for you, CMB! I pray all will be "okay"! Just for today.... Don't Drink, K???! :)

:praying

....and Don't Use!!!! :)

:ghug3