Notices

7th day of my sobriety........

Old 02-22-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7th day of my sobriety........

I'm still here...........I'm starting to feel the pain of the graving. Why after seven days? :praying
Old 02-22-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Are you doing positive things for yourself?

In early sobriety...
I did a Spring cleaning in my apartment...
I got my hair cut and colored...started to attend AA

All 3 made me feel better...

Good to know your sober
Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Glad you are still at it Shygirl.
Keep fighting those cravings.
What Carol said makes a lot of sense.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Going to Meetings, have helped Me, Immensely!! they still help Me!! What Carol said, is real good advise!! We spent alot of time, in our addiction... so We need to find another way, to use all that time, that we find ourselves with, cuz we are not using!! Good Luck, and don't give in to the cravings, and they will get smaller and easier to handle!!

~Rob~
Old 02-22-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Shy, I used to try to pinpoint why exactly a craving would come when it did. It took a long time to realize that it was not a matter of any specific trigger, but because I'd been dousing my brain with alcohol on a regular basis for over a decade. I had to be very patient with myself for the first couple of months. Now I have nearly four months and you know, cravings still happen once in a while, but their power is gone... I know they don't control me

I like the saying "Move a muscle, change a thought" which is something I learned in the rooms of AA. I pick up the phone and call my sponsor or text a friend... I jump in the car and buy lip gloss at Target... I scrub the toilet... I go for a walk... I rent a movie. Anything to get out of my head for a little while. And it passes!

Congratulations on a week. That is _awesome_!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This may sound silly , but in early recovery I had an xbox. For some reason beating down 12 year olds on a video game can really keep the mind clear. Then i started learning how to play the guitar. I took up fishing, and hunting shortly after. Point is I have many things that i like to do today. If you asked me when i got sober what i like to do i would have told you drink liquor and shoot dope. I had to learn new things in my life because all i knew in the beginning was nothing. Most importantly i had to get involved in AA. Not just going to meetings but working with a sponsor who had what he wanted and was happy. 7 days is early in the game, and very testing..... congratulations. Don't forget to utilize prayer, the phone, a support group. These are all integral parts of a good foundation. just hang in there you are right where you are supposed to be. Its all a journey.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My new addiction, is World of Warcraft, on the Computer!!
I play it WAAAAYYY Too Much!!
But... It's so Much better, than My Old Addictions!!
It helps keep Me... Clean, and Serene!!!
Peace!!

~Rob~
Old 02-22-2009, 11:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job on seven days. It takes time, but it does get easier. I don't know your situation, but if your health permits the next time you get a strong craving try exercising it out. I find after a good 1/2 to 1 hr of activity that it makes me feel really good. Then I make sure to eat well and replenish the fuel.

Exercise, good nutrition, relaxing when I need to and minimizing stress have been essential parts to my 43 days of sobriety.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

why?

in part because you are not comfortable in your own skin.

also because the habit of looking to things outside of you for comfort.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

CONGRATULATIONS ON 7 DAYS!!!!

I totally agree with what most were saying about finding some things to fill the time void. As jada311 said, when I was active in my addiction, if someone asked me what my hobbies were or what I like to do, my reply would have been, I don't have any hobbies, I don't like to do anything.

Our addictions, no matter what we used, took up so much of our time! I spent hours some days just trying to cop and then I spent a lot of time trying to think up excuses for why I was "unavailable" for hours on end. Then thinking up what I thought was convincing lies took time too. Suddenly, we have all this time. What to do?

When I was about 4 or 5 months into my Recovery, I took up silk flower arranging. I went to Walmart and spent maybe $20 or so and bought some basics. Twenty dollars was just a small drop in the bucket compared to what I spent on drugs and alcohol. Sure, I made some pretty weird looking things at first, things my cat didn't even want to tear apart. But I played around and found a natural talent that I never knew I had. Since then, I have made many gifts for people out of my flower arrangements. What I get most of all out of this is being able to express myself in a healthy and beautiful way. When I was using, I sure could express myself in some ugly, ugly ways!

I didn't see what part of the country you are in so I don't know what type of weather you are experiencing, but for me, I know I really like to go outside, when the sun is coming up. I take my daily meditation books outside, read them, listen to the sounds of the morning . . .a pretty big switch from someone who hated mornings because for me, they went hand in hand with hangovers! lol

Keep posting, sharing, reading and go to some Meetings! You know the comfort you get in finding that people on here relate to what you're going through? It's the same comfort, only you can physically feel the hugs and caring. I think Meetings and getting to know people face to face are something that, for me, is a very important part of my Recovery. . . one of the tools that I have to have in my tool box to remain Clean & Sober!

You're doing good, just remember, Keep it Simple, One Day at A Time,
Judy
Old 02-23-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi ShyGirl and CONGRATS ON 7 DAYS!!! WOOHOO!

Cravings are a natural process of being an alcoholic! There is no time-table as to when they stop or dissipate. We have a mental and physical allergy and obsession to booze! Just cuz we put the bottle down doesn't make us "well". Give TIME - "TIME", friend! Stick close to us and supportive people in your life. Maybe give AA a shot! It's working for me and is giving me "a design for living" through the 12 steps, and have phenomenal support through the members/friends there!

Just don't give in... one minute at a time, one day at a time is all we can focus on to stay sober! Big hugs to you today!

:ghug3:ghug2:ghug
Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 days shygirl - that is an awesome start.

I think the cravings can come at any time - for me the longer I don't drink the less frequently they come, but they still come (I am 44 days in). It helps to have a plan for how you will deal with them - think it through now and set a plan in motion when the cravings hit. For me the first thing I do is get something non-alcoholic in my hands. I also make sure I am not hungry.. I also leave the parts of our house that I used too drink in (I can go to the bedroom and be safe - never drank there at all).. I think we all have our plans.

Way to go posting here - there is so much good experience SR and something about putting it out there is the first step in getting it under control.

:ghug3
Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ksplash5 View Post
why?

In part because you are not comfortable in your own skin.

Also because the habit of looking to things outside of you for comfort.

hmmmm....thats a rather abrasive statement. Everything that has been posted is very constructive feedback. The gym is a great idea as well.if you took the time to view this girls file it is right up her alley. Isn't it equally important to take care of the body. Especially after so much abuse? Maybe it is you who is looking for outside comfort by judging the positve feedback that has been given on this topic.....just a thought.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ksplash:

What are you talking about and who is it direct to??

Jada311:

Are you talking to me partly, because Ksplash didn't mention anything about the gym. If that part is directed to me, I would say you are being somewhat abrasive in your comments.

If I am wrong in this I apologize up front.

Congrats to all who keep fighting the good fight.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No gonzo i was defending what you said. I felt it was a very good suggestion and thought that a comment such as kplash made was rather condescending. Either way i suppose you are correct about it being somewhat abrasive, but i also gotta call it like i see it. As for shygirl you are doing great and i hope all this positive feedback has helped you. I remember in early sobriety i had severe anger issues, mostly because it was the only emotion i knew at that point, and excersise helped me to direct it positively. It is very therapeutic in nature and beneficial in many ways. We owe it o ourselves. There are many people that talk a great spiritual game, but haven't been to a doctor or dentist in years. How can we talk spiritual game and not take care of the body that god has given us?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jada311 View Post
hmmmm....thats a rather abrasive statement. Everything that has been posted is very constructive feedback. The gym is a great idea as well.if you took the time to view this girls file it is right up her alley. Isn't it equally important to take care of the body. Especially after so much abuse? Maybe it is you who is looking for outside comfort by judging the positve feedback that has been given on this topic.....just a thought.
ksplash if i am correct i owe you an apology. it seems that after reading the post i myself have been condescending. as i look over the thread i can see that possibly the way you wrote your response to shygirl was not how it was interpreted. Alcoholism and drug addiction are diseases of perception. where your comment fell into place on the forum seemed like a backlash on the prior feedback. if this is correct i apologize.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'd like to add, today is my 10th day of sobriety. Thank you guys for such great advise.
I actually found the comment about not being comfortable in my own skin so very true. I'm still getting bad gravings. But this online site has helped me alot. Even if I just take the time to read some of your post, helps me alot. I don't have a near by AA meeting I can turn to. But I have you guy. Where am I? Caribbean...........
Old 02-25-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Way to go Shygirl - hang in there, some to SR a lot and just keep putting down what the feelings are - amazing how you will find others who have gone through it!
:ghug3