Notices

finally getting some days together

Old 02-21-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

finally getting some days together

Yesterday was 2 weeks sober for me and I am feeling pretty good about that. I guess one of the things I am worried about though is that whenever I start stringing some days together I start telling myself that it will be okay if I just drink a couple, that I already proved to myself that I can quit if it gets out of hand again. I know that's just the addiction trying to get me to fall back into its hands..but it is so hard not to listen sometimes. That's it...thanks for letting me share.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you with two weeks sober!

It's great that you see a potential pitfall coming along, so you can navigate around it. It's also my experience, that it gets harder each time you try to quit.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Good going Seemethrough.
I am sure most of us get that call from our addictive voice and it can be quite convincing.
I just got this book called Rational Recovery that deals with the addictive voice, how to recognize it, and what to do to resist it. I haven't read much of it yet but from what I know about it it addresses the issue you are having trouble with. It wouldn't hurt to give it a read.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Good going Seemethrough.
I am sure most of us get that call from our addictive voice and it can be quite convincing.
I just got this book called Rational Recovery that deals with the addictive voice, how to recognize it, and what to do to resist it. I haven't read much of it yet but from what I know about it it addresses the issue you are having trouble with. It wouldn't hurt to give it a read.
Thanks Fubar, I will see if the library or one of the book stores has it in stock.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Originally Posted by seemethrough View Post
Yesterday was 2 weeks sober for me and I am feeling pretty good about that. I guess one of the things I am worried about though is that whenever I start stringing some days together I start telling myself that it will be okay if I just drink a couple, that I already proved to myself that I can quit if it gets out of hand again. I know that's just the addiction trying to get me to fall back into its hands..but it is so hard not to listen sometimes. That's it...thanks for letting me share.
We all have tried the "couple" of drink thing. It NEVER
works, well not for me!
I always do 2 - 3 days then a glass of wine at a dinner has me picking up a pint on the way home, yuck!
Outstanding 2 weeks is a milestone and the portal to a month, keep up the good work and let us know how it's going.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks! The "voice" is your base brain...funny thing about this part of our brain is it is in charge of out basic instincts....food...shelter...etc. It is in charge of satisfying our need for pleasure...I drank at first cause I liked it...then I loved it...then it almost killed me. My brain automatically defaults to alcohol...I have to retrain it...it takes time...it takes practice to be able to identify it for what it is. Keep going...stay strong and know that cravings are thoughts...you are responsible for the action that follows.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

2 weeks is great! This does get easier....but you have to make it easier. You gotta tell yourself life sober is the life you WANT, and there is no way in hell you are going back to being a drunk, because having just one will lead you right down that path.

You can do this. SR can help.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great stuff, keep going:-)
Old 02-21-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on the two weeks! Don't give in to that addictive voice and stay strong! I know you can make it. It is hard not to listen and give in sometimes. I know, going through it today myself, but, it can be done and we can do it together. Keep up the good work and stay strong! It'll be another two weeks before you know it.
Wes