Notices

Glad to meet you all

Old 02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Glad to meet you all

I am the wife of an alcoholic. We have been married for almost 4 years now. He had been sober for 4 or 5 years before we were married. He relapsed December 2007 and it has been somewhat of a struggle ever since. I left him once already, for 3.5 months, not because of the drinking, but because of all the lies he told. That I can neither tolerate nor condone.

After being sober for the past 6 months, he relapsed again last night. Can you believe it...he took a half pint of vodka with him and drank it on the way home from an AA meeting, and had another half pint hidden in the pocket of his bathrobe in case he had a hangover this morning.

I'd like to believe he's being honest with me, but as he even confessed that he lies only when he's drinking, should I even believe him, or do I take what he says with a grain of salt?

Anyway, I hope to gain some insight, perhaps learn new and better ways to handle his terse moods and cope with his struggle for sobriety.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there you are at the right place! There is a family and friends section which i am sure you will find too.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

hello sjlady, I am sure you will get plenty of identification and support here. Its nice to know you are not alone.:ghug3
Old 02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome SJ Lady. I am glad you are here. We are here for you and also there is a spot for friends and family of alcoholics on this board if you like to go there. Please keep coming back and get the support you need.

Karen
Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

After being sober for the past 6 months, he relapsed again last night. Can you believe it...he took a half pint of vodka with him and drank it on the way home from an AA meeting, and had another half pint hidden in the pocket of his bathrobe in case he had a hangover this morning.
Yes I believe it

An accomplished drinker never lies while drunk. I never did, but then I never told the truth either. No matter how drunk, I never said anything I could not remember the next day, black out or not.

I was a legend (In my own mind)

Your in the right place to learn about this, the friends and family thread will be very helpful. Glad too see you here

Ed
Old 02-20-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks

Wow, thanks everyone for that very warm welcome. I had noticed the family and friends section of the forum and plan to explore it more thoroughly after dinner this evening.

My guess is my husband is probably wondering whether or not I'll be here when he gets home from work. I think a little fear can be a good thing, don't you?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hello sjlady. Alcoholics are the some of the most intelligent people on earth. They can devise schemes, manipulate circumstances, administer budgets and have unbelievable situation management skills. FOR A DRINK.