Notices

Day 1, AGAIN

Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1, AGAIN

Today marks another Day 1. This has probably been my umpteenth Day 1 since I've been here, but I plan on making things different this time.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, LaDita!

It's good to see you here.

So, what will you do differently this time?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There has been alot on my mind lately and I've been very hard on myself. I have been under alot of stress where I live, my counselor isn't working out and I haven't had the guts to tell her. Starting today I'm going to be alot easier on myself and tell people the truth.
I've just been feeling very "weird" lately and from now on I'm going to accept that it's okay to feel that way sometimes.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Let's talk about what, you're going to do different this time ok

What's your game plan??
Old 02-20-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been through several "day 1"s.. Keep up your determinations!

I've also had to terminate therapy a few times. It's wasn't easy, but luckily my therapists were always willing to talk through the situation, and decide together whether the therapy should continue or not. On one of those occasions, my then-therapist was able to pinpoint a few things that he'd overlooked and we continued to work together for a few more years.

In any case, it's a good idea to be honest with your counselor. S/he should know how to handle the situation
Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm starting over again too. Today is seven days sober for me. If I can do it, so can you. Just stay sober for today. Handle tomorrow when it gets here, but just don't drink today.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Ladita....I'm glad your here.
It's Day 1 for me too, I've had alot of Day 1's here.
I'm announcing my Day 1 under your post to let you know your not alone.
God Bless!
XOXO
Old 02-20-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I rarely drink for consecutively; i.e., continue to drink the day after I've drank. I think the biggest challenge today will be not being hard on myself and getting through the hang-over today and tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't drink consecutively either...My craving usally hits every few days. When I would satisfy my craving, I was good to go for another few days...that is when it gets difficult.
XOXO
Old 02-20-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I was good at saying no more when, I was hungover until, I got to feeling better.

What are you using for a support system?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

do not be hard on yourself

i, unfortunately, have had a few day 1,s, day 17, day 26, geez i aqm wondering when i will get it!!!!!!
then i think back and realize that i have not been trying that hard, i just seem to give in or give up?

keep trying, YOU ARE worth it!!! stay on SR, keep reading and posting............you can do this!!!!! soon we will get this right and be very thankful and grateful!
day 2 here, i think, get kinda tired of counting, but am determined to make it!

:praying
Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Congrats on your decision to make today Day 1.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ADayAtATime View Post
I don't drink consecutively either...My craving usally hits every few days. When I would satisfy my craving, I was good to go for another few days...that is when it gets difficult.
XOXO

This is me exactly.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, be a little hard on yourself LaDita - in the sense of drinking.

Everything else that's a problem in your life is likely to stay a problem while you're drinking.

Thats the thing to focus on - stay firm - 'I will not drink today - for any reason'.
Repeat tomorrow

Are you just using SR or do you have other support?
D
Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi there

If you need to get a new counselor and defo stop telling them what you think they want to here and just open up, you've got nothing to lose?!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by LaDita View Post
I've just been feeling very "weird" lately and from now on I'm going to accept that it's okay to feel that way sometimes.
((((LaDita))))) I know it's hard for you to feel like "here I go again" starting over, but at least you're starting over. Don't let the beast win. You fall, you get back up -- never surrender. No matter how many times it takes, you must begin again. Feeling weird in sobriety is our way of adjusting to not depending on something -- alcohol -- to help us cope. You have to feel it through to the end, stick it out and do not choose to run. Only then does 'weird' starts to lose it's power. It becomes less and less noticable over time as we adjust to our new skin. I know stress does terrible things to us sometimes; but, hon drinking will never make anything better.
Glad you're back with us.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Freedom Seeker

LaDita,

Today is my day 1 as well. And yes, many day 1s lie behind me.

We can do this. You and I. We can. We will. All we have is this moment, and in this moment I will not drink. Make the commitment with me...Today I Will Not Drink.

I'm shaky, trembly, scared. And I am sick to death of living a life less than I deserve and I know you are too.

Here's a practice I did today: I wrote down in my journal what my sober life looks and feels like. I saw all the things that were waiting for me. I felt how good that felt and what it felt like to be a truthful authentic person again.

Hold my hand and we'll get through this day together!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks guys. I feel alot better. I had a really nice talk with my sister today and I also had a counseling session over the phone with my counselor and I don't know if it was the fact that it was over the phone vs. face-to-face but it was really great and some things really hit home this time.

I also read an article on post-acute withdrawals and found that I'm still going through those and I haven't been sober long enough to adjust to those changes and shifts that are happening in my brain. I am also considering maybe going on medication for my anxiety and depression. I don't know we'll see. But I have to remember there's nothing bad that drinking won't make worse and NOTHING is worth a hang-over for.