Notices

New and wondering

Old 02-19-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and wondering

I've been lurking for a year or so as my father is an active A. But now I'm wondering about myself.

Since I was 16 (I'm now 50), I drank every night. Always beer - originally it was a six pack a night, now it's 3 or 4 - and I've recently switched to a lower calorie/lower alcohol beer. After the 3rd or 4th, I never feel a craving for another, I don't drink for confidence, to escape, never had a hangover, never missed work, no one has ever mentioned that my drinking bothers them, never lost time from work or any other thing, never had a blackout, no memory loss, I can be around people drinking and not want a drink, I can have one drink and stop, and always stop when I start feeling the effects.

I know the rule of thumb is that if you think you have a problem, then you do. But, I was wondering what others think.

Last edited by Aruba; 02-19-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Splled something wrong
Old 02-19-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

I think I am jealous of you. I wish that could be me.

Welcome and

I am sure you already know that it is up to you to decide if you want to stop or not.
If you do want to stop everyone will be here to support you.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aruba, all I can add is that for me, my consumption was progressive. I started outa weekend drinker and moved on to every day. At first, it was 5-6 beers M-T but pretty soon a 6 pack just didn't cut it. Monday night football, heck everybody does it. And ah why not have some more, I don't work that hard on Friday anyway. Little hangover won't hurt. I used any excuse to drink anytime.

If you can hold steady at a couple beers and always quit, I say more power to you. It's easy for somebody that can't seem to handle it, like me, to blame the alcohol but the truth is it was ME that couldn't stop. I have no one else to blame because most people can stop after one or two or even refrain fro the first. IMO, there is nothing wrong with having a few beers, the problem is when you can't stop yourself from having a few more, and a few more, and a few more...and oh crap, it's 20 minutes until the mrs. will be calling me to bed, better down a couple more...THAT was me.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, Aruba. Welcome to SR!

I think it really comes down to what you think...if you think your drinking is a problem or not. I know that's not the answer you are looking for, but it's hard for any one person who isn't familiar with your situation to make a judgement call.

Stick around for a while and keep posting whenever you need to.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Aruba,

Yea I too wish I could have a few. Do you drink every night? Is that an issue. What happens if you miss? Are you not doing things because of the drinking? Do you ever get drunk? There must be something about it bothering you if you came here but you seem to all ready know that too. Good luck in finding some answers- there is alot of info here.

BTW Aruba is my favorite island.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drink pretty much every night. If I miss a night, no problem. I don't miss anything because of the drinking.

To me it does not seem to be a problem, but I'm thinking drinking every night is not a good thing to be doing health wise.

LOL, wish I were in Aruba right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Neither is eating fried or fatty foods or working the remote in front of the tv but that doesn't seem to stop me.

My grandads doc used to tell him a glass of wine everyday is healthy....you would think a 12 pack of beer would be 12 times healthier, right?