Notices

Alcohol and Sugar Addiction

Old 02-18-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol and Sugar Addiction

This is a topic I have posted about before, because when I first read about it, I was so surprised. I have always craved sugar, and though I've never been overweight, I am a carb-loving girl. I had no idea that this was likely a predictor of my alcoholism. Can anyone else relate to this?

The study was published in Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research by Alexei Kampov-Polevoy, an assistant professor of psychiatry at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

"Sugar-addicts beware; an affinity for sweets appears to be a marker for those at risk of developing alcoholism. While previous studies have found a sugar-alcohol link in both humans and animals, this study finds that sugar addiction may predict alcoholism.

Kampov suggests that the opioid system -- the part of the brain impacted by both sugar and alcohol -- is oversensitive in these subjects.

Researchers say in the future a simple test may help identify who is at risk for developing alcoholism long before one takes his first drink."
Old 02-18-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's so interesting, Anna! With me, I seemed to get the sweet tooth after I got off the alcohol. I wasn't much interested in it before, but afterwards I couldn't get enough sweet stuff. Even over a year later I still have the sugar cravings - also, when I get hold of the sugar, I feel better, sort of pacified. Strange. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can't say I can relate to this, but it's very interesting and informative. Thanks!
Wes
Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I don't remember having a sweet tooth until now! I always thought that "cheesy/fried" stuff was my diet downfall but now I've actually bought candy, cookies, made cakes... nothing I'd EVER do in my past life. Wonder if it goes both ways? I've been sober long enough it can't be my body craving all the sugar I had when I drank, maybe just a new addiction... sigh.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

Sugar based foods have always been a huge pleasure in my life. I am trying to cut out processed sugar once again since I went crazy for it after I quit drinking. I am having a much tougher time giving up the soda and candy and cookies than I am the alcohol so maybe sugar is my DOC. I have been sugar free for 2 days now though so maybe this time I can make a week.
When I was a kid I used to lay out my candy stash and look at it before I ate a piece and I also hid it everywhere so my sister wouldn't get it.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've always craved sweets and have had days when I'd rather have dessert than dinner! I come from a Family chock full of Diabetics as well so I really need to control this before it makes me as sick as drinking did!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wiiiiiierd!
i used to ALWAYS LOVE CANDY
and i dont really like sweets anymore but need carbs. SO TASTY.
mmmmmmm carbs
Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I enjoyed sweets while drinking but I didn't go out of my way for them and I was usually to full after lunch or dinner for dessert. Now I find myself giving up dinner for my sugar fix. Reese's, Starburst, Jolly Rancher and fully loaded Dr. Pepper.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
getting there

Thanks Anna - this is definitely me too! As a kid I ate tons of candy and drank sugared soda all the time. As an adult, I still find myself secretly buying Pez, Gobstoppers, Nerds, etc... anything that's pure sugar! About ten years ago I had roommates who marveled at my ability to drink a six pack or more of sugared soda in one evening.

Very interesting!

PS - hence the screen name and title...
Old 02-18-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've always liked my bread, rice and pasta. But then I'm the same with the veggies (weird I know). I'm rarely driven to the raw sugary stuff, with the exception of an occasional doughnut binge. Pepsi once in a while.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wasn't a sugar craver until just recently. I was blaming it on menopause. I ate a whole bag of chocolate kisses since yesterday. Very interesting article, anna! Thanks for posting it!

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-19-2009, 04:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Growing up my non drinking family were big time sugar addicts.
My Dad worked for Coca-Cola ..Mom had a Coke for breakfast!
Dinner ended with at least one dessert.
Every meal had high carbs too.

At 50---Mom became a Type 2 diabetic.
My brother and I did too...only
we were alcoholics with years in recovery first.

The oddest thing...this year I gave up Diet Coke at home.
For years...that was a 2 litre per day.
And lost 14 lbs. with no other changes ...

Thanks Anna...
Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow..that is stunning. And it makes so much sense. I got the sweet tooth when I started drinking. Prior to that, it wasn't a big issue.
That is fascinating.
Does anyone else feel better physically when they don't eat sugar? Or flour? I feel like a new much more productive and energic person when I was off the "white" food. Being the self-loathing being I am, however, and knowing I'll feel worse, I do still eat it and regret it.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

mmmmm...very interesting anna.

Im with hevyn..since not drinking i have developed a sugar habit..

i always take 3 tins of coca-cola to work these days and i have a sweet after dinner..

that is a complete change...before sobriety i never really ate anything sweet.
very very rarely anyway.

in the first few weeks of sobriety......tins of sweet fizzy pop would quiet my cravings down alot...most of the time.

Encouraging to see carol kick the diet coke habit......ive been trying to cut this coca-cola habit down for a while....and it aint happening..lol

Salt is another one im trying to cut down............but food just dont taste like food without it....lol..lol

trucker