Notices

one new person to the next

Old 02-18-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mergirl

one new person to the next

my advice, coming from a place of being very new and not knowing much of anything, is find something that works. I see so many new people here struggling, and it breaks my heart. Have you all tried therapy? AA meetings? Reading all of the wonderful stickied posts on these forums? Researching addiction recovery online or at the library? If you are having a tough time and haven't tried all of these things, you owe it to yourself to.

Of course, there are people struggling here who have tried everything in their power, and that breaks my heart too
Old 02-18-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thank you for posting a simple message Lisa. I've been in AA since 2005, it "stuck" and it works very well for me. But I understand it's not the only way to stay clean and sober, I pray that the newcomers find something, anything, that works for them.

Last edited by Astro; 02-18-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by uglyeyes View Post
my advice, coming from a place of being very new and not knowing much of anything, is find something that works. I see so many new people here struggling, and it breaks my heart. Have you all tried therapy? AA meetings? Reading all of the wonderful stickied posts on these forums? Researching addiction recovery online or at the library? If you are having a tough time and haven't tried all of these things, you owe it to yourself to.

Of course, there are people struggling here who have tried everything in their power, and that breaks my heart too
Thank you for posting this! I've tried virtually everything... but I will not give up and will keep trying cuz I believe it just may stick one day (as long as I'm still above ground).

I just e-mailed my previous sponsor to take me back, if she'll have me. I will go back to AA irregardless. There are so many resources available and you named several! Thank you!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Thank you for posting this.. I've been thinking about the several struggling newcomers and wonder what's going on.. I hope everyone tries and tries again to find what works. We've all struggled, for some reason though it seems there's more going on right now, and it breaks my heart too. What is everyone doing to support their plan for sobriety? Do you have a plan?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm bumping this back up because I think it's important.

If you fail to plan you plan to fail. When I get down instead of picking up a drink I come here and vent, watch a movie, journal, read, talk to a friend, play a computer game, go for a walk, take a shower, clean the house. And I have NO ALCOHOL in my home~

There are so many resources out there and here as well, use them! Nothing happens overnight and nothing happens without hard work. That doesn't mean it can't be done~