Notices

Pets...am I the only one?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pets...am I the only one?

I know that some of us (sober, recovering or not) love our pets. But I really soooooper doooooper love my cat. He's my son. And the lovely thing is, he really loves me! I swear, my amazing and wonderful boyfriend even gets jealous about my "little guy" sometimes.

But you see, sometimes when I think "just a little one won't hurt...", I think of my little cat, and lo! I don't drink! Am I the only one who stays sober for my pet(s)??
Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not at all! I have two dogs and four cats so must stay healthy and sober to care for them right. They are like my kids, only they'll never grow up and leave home.... except when they have to go to God's Meadow. And they'll be there waiting for when I leave this life. I'll have my own petting zoo up there!

Yes, there are many animal lovers here. We've even posted pix of some but don't remember where.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

5 cats 2 dogs chickens, guines hens, ducks.........love them all. Sometimes when I am down or fed up I walk outside to my garden and instant joy!!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have 2 cats and a bird and they are
my gifts in recovery. They say having
pets in your life decreasing stress in
ur life an helps you live longer.

Love my Gus, Lucky and Peady.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have quite a big dog who needs long walks which just didn't happen when I had been drinking, he is much happier now that he is getting all the exercise he needs. I love my furbabies, even the cats seem happier
Old 02-16-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found a kitten last year in the road ducking traffic. She is 8 months old and called Trixie. I remember looking through the patio doors at her last year before i got sober, with her looking up at me and thinking what the **** am i doing, so yeah there were a lot of coincidences last year and she was one of them. She is Trixie Trix, her name needs no further explanantion. Oh yeah im going to get her a rescue friend soon!

I absolutely love cats to bits!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

pets

[Cyes, PETS! they can keep us happy and sober, as they need us! i have ignored my cat alot, whiling drinking, and i feel so bad cause he is still so loving to me? he is truly a "gift" to me from God! his name is par4:ghugOLOR="RoyalBlue"][/COLOR]
Old 02-16-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My 2 cats are probably the only thing keeping me from going over the edge. I'm always afraid I'll drink too much one night and go out for a smoke and be careless with the door and one of them will get out! I will never get that bad because of them. They're my children! There's probably a good reason I don't have a spouse and human kids but we won't go there right now. Sometimes I forget to buy food for myself but my last can of tuna will go to my kitties. And my last few dollars will always go towards cat food before another bottle of....

ugh
Old 02-16-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have three sweet dogs (one is still a puppy). 2 doxies and 1 beagle. Although I have a husband and 4 teens at home, I have a special bond with my dogs. They are always with me hanging out. I know for a fact that they have no idea they are dogs. The 2 doxies sleep under our covers and the baby has to kiss each one of us goodnight before she goes to sleep. Their names are Tannah, Fritz and Sandy.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i had 2 cats...sadly, they both passed away recently. one just a month ago. anyhow, i can relate to what everyone is saying.
i feel really guilty that my cat saw me drink almost every night of her last years. i wish she could've had a sober "mom".
Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sometimes my babies are the only thing that keeps me going.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JTinStLouis

I love my boy too he is a beagle who is spoiled, he and I have a bond as well. I have a lovely wife and two beautiful daughters in my life as well that all have a special place, as I right the big beagle (forrest) cuddles at my feet.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JTinStLouis

# 14 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

I have three dogs and a cat and they are definitely my buddies. Whenever I am sad they always come and sit with me or snuggle. I don't know what I would do without them.
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Lolajames, I hope you can find it in your heart to rescue one or more cats, to give them a good life like you gave your cats before. Do it in honor of the dead cats, to respect their memory by giving love to another cat like you did to them.

I know what you mean tho. My beagirl is 12 and I pray daily for her long and healthy life... the other dog is diabetic so it's essential I am sober in case he goes into insulin shock or has seizures. He's done that before and I know what to do to correct it, but worry if I were drinking would I be able to do the right thing? Would I even notice it? So yes, I stay sober for my animals. And if one of them were to die, I would get another rescue dog to perpetuate my love for dogs.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Now that I'm sober, I can't believe how much precious time I've wasted being drunk and not caring for my pups properly (yes they got food, water, a warm house and pats on the head, but I wasn't PRESENT), I thank my lucky stars (or whatever floats your boat) that I quit before I have kids, I cannot imagine..

My pup is diabetic, she needs a lot of looking after, and a lot of love, they are with us so briefly. I'm SO happy to be fully present when I'm with her, and no, it doesn't sound silly to me at ALL :P
Old 02-16-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

This year all of my children moved out and on with their lives and left my nest quite empty. Except for my most spoiled baby Cookie. She's been my best friend and helped me through some tough times. She reads my moods and does her best to comfort me when I'm blue. She's a 7 pound chihuahua/terrier mix I adopted from a shelter. She's been my pal for almost a decade. Although I've always been devoted to her, I have felt guilty for passing up walking with her because I was too tipsy.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This topic might be my turning point! Maybe!

I have no idea what I was going to say. That sums it all up.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My 2 cats are probably the only thing keeping me from going over the edge. I'm always afraid I'll drink too much one night and go out for a smoke and be careless with the door and one of them will get out! I will never get that bad because of them. They're my children! There's probably a good reason I don't have a spouse and human kids but we won't go there right now. Sometimes I forget to buy food for myself but my last can of tuna will go to my kitties. And my last few dollars will always go towards cat food before another bottle of....

ugh
Old 02-16-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

please help, rock bottom, disaster. my kitties are ok, me, not so much....

i have to taper off again and work tomorrow, i should be used to this.

HELP