Notices

The Same.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better for having opened up - this is brave stuff, deeply personal, and it's humbling to read about someone who is facing their issues head on and openly.

Perhaps the serenity prayer might have the words you need, even if they seem (at least to me) sometimes a little unforgiving.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought about PMing this but it's no biggie to put it out there

I identify, Bam.

I spent my 20s and nearly all my 30s hating myself, mainly for how I looked. Cerebral palsy, even a relatively mild case like mine, makes you different - the gait, the shakes, the hunched back, the stutter, the embarrassing falls - and that's never going away.

I dunno that I'll ever accept it LOL but I do accept now it's a given - meh. Whatever.

I do what I can to limit its effects and live as fully as possible.

I have it, I'll never lose it - but it doesn't define who I am.
Other peoples reactions don't define who I am.

I define who I am.

You're pretty cool Bam.
I don't think you should forget that

D
Old 02-15-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
Any chick that laugh at farts and be ok with that. Is my kind of person. LOL.

Thanks, chiy. I needed that.

Originally Posted by bovinePieBear View Post
I hope you feel better for having opened up
I think I do…it’s a small step…I hope to move forward. Reading this now I feel kind of stupid for complaining about it....it's always there, but there are days now and then when it becomes nearly intollerable to deal with.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I dunno that I'll ever accept it LOL but I do accept now it's a given - meh. Whatever.

I do what I can to limit its effects and live as fully as possible.

I have it, I'll never lose it - but it doesn't define who I am.
Other peoples reactions don't define who I am.

I define who I am.

As always, D, powerful stuff. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

Talking bam

i truly can understand how you feel !!!!! i do not have acne, but God blessed me with the BIG wonderful nose? i,ve hated the way i have looked for 58 years? it was the "perfect" excuse to drink?

now i have come to realize the God did make me in His image! who i am to think He did not know what He was doing? it is me that needs to change.
the "inside" you is so much more important than the outside!

hang in there nothing is IMPOSSIBLE!
i wish you the best and hugs

from a fellow hater of how i look!

:praying
Old 02-15-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

you left out the part where I said you were cool Bam!

D
Old 02-15-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Bam,

I think you rock. I can imagine that it would be hard to have acne scars on your face. That would kinda suck and I think you have a right to feel resentful about it.

I feel blessed in many ways but I am about 20 pounds overweight and I just can't seem to take it off. I am on meds that make it harder. But thank God for Lithium, Depakote, and Seroquel. Or I'd be in the state mental hospital on lock-down.

My mom lost her eyebrows when they were treating her with radiantion for skin cancer. They've never grown back in. She go them tattoed on but they still look strange. But she has a very strong relationship to God and if you come to her with a problem, she can always help you in some unexpected way.

My older sister is really skinny and pale. So skinny that her skin kind of hangs on her. And she can't seem to gain weight. But her ability to make friends and make averyone care about something important is pretty amazing.

My younger sister is perfect so we won't talk about her. ( : But she's kind of mean sometimes.

A friend of mine had some illness when he was a kid and he lacks muscle tone in his legs. He walks kind of crooked and strange. You can't help but notice it. But boy, does he play a mean trumpet. It's wonderful to hear.

Bam, if you keep looking at yourself in the mirror and reinforcing your negative self-image, you'll miss out on all those opportunities to share the things in you that really matter and that shine from deep inside you. Sometimes, people who have real physcial issues - missing limbs, severe burns, etc - sometimes, they are the most amazing people. Because they've been FORCED to overcome. It was essential that they come from a place in their hearts rather than from their exterior. Or they would never be able to make a contribution.

I don't care what someone looks like. Sometimes, I have to remind myself of that - I think it's perfect normal as humans. But honestly, if I let myself be motivated or stopped by what people looked like, I'd miss out on so much fun.

Here at SR, where we can't see eachother, you are a wonderful, lovely, insightful, and brave soul. Don't let all of that disappear when you are in your day to day life, just because people can see you.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Never feel stupid for expressing how you feel.
It is a very valid concern.
I am pretty sure all of us have something physically we would like to change.
I am glad your feeling a bit better.