Notices

Are Relapses Acceptable?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Resident

The answer to the whole thread is in the question that Jackstone posted.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
mergirl

in your opinion:p

Hahahah, I crack myself up!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

lovinmenow,
My question was being asked to the folks that believe "a relapse is unacceptable".

If they truely believe that "a relapse is unacceptable", then what is their course of action if they do relapse?

I believe that relapse is a part of the process for some people trying to quit drinking. I've slipped a couple times, but gottem right back on the wagon each time. I don't like to fail, and it's getting less frequent, but it's part of my process to quit. I'm playing a round robin - not single elimination. I get more than one chance. More on this later...............JT
Old 02-14-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

imho

i would like it made know that is human to make mistakes and relaspe? the ones i would be concerned about are the ones that relaspes every day or so? but we may still be able to help them by letting them vent? i know if i relasped, i would be ashamed, but still cry out for help from you guys!

Old 02-14-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Our book uses the word "Recovered" and defines the word "Recovered"
In our forward it says "We of AA are more than 100 men and women who have "Recovered" from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body"
The hopeless state of mind is the mental obsession and the state of body being the phenomonon of craving that Dr. Silkworth referrs to.
The book also referrs to Alcoholism as an illness. Can we "Relapse" from any illness before we are "Recovered"
In my opinion, one must recover before they relapse. Otherwise we're just on the wagon until our next drink.

Quotes from The Big Book 1st edition.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Jackstone View Post
lovinmenow,
My question was being asked to the folks that believe "a relapse is unacceptable".

If they truely believe that "a relapse is unacceptable", then what is their course of action if they do relapse?

I believe that relapse is a part of the process for some people trying to quit drinking. I've slipped a couple times, but gottem right back on the wagon each time. I don't like to fail, and it's getting less frequent, but it's part of my process to quit. I'm playing a round robin - not single elimination. I get more than one chance. More on this later...............JT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You pose a good question there Jackstone, but how about we change that around 180 degrees, eh? For me, if I thought relapses were acceptable, I might have a relapse, think nothing of it (since they are acceptable), get back on the wagon, have another relapse.....etc.--still not thinking much about it all since they're still acceptable...BUT, unfortunately, after my last relapse.....? Well, it definitely could be my 'last' since during it I might have an accident, kill a family of four, and myself taboot.....hmmmmm

I just think the terminology here is a little shakey....acceptable/unacceptable just don't seem 'right' to me (can't stand those 'right' 'wrong' terms, but can't think of anything else right now).

I don't think of relapses as either acceptable or unacceptable; relapses were just never taught to me as being a part of recovery, and (Knock on wood) so far they're still not a part of my recovery; if I do have one, it will be because I have strayed from my recovery and slipped back into my disease.....

Hope this has helped somebody some....clear as mud, ain't it....? .... LOLOL

NoelleR
Old 02-14-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Cool

"...After reading this thread, I'm coming to view true relapses as less common. I think most often the case is that someone isn't serious enough about their commitment or they are more or less "praticing" or experimenting with sobriety.

I believe a true relapse then, can only happen after a certain extended period of time sober. When I read the post about "relapsing once a week" I couldn't believe my eyes. That's not relapse, that's playing a sad little game. I should know: I've played that game many times..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really liked what CarolD said.....in terming them as not relapses from recovery but false starts....yeh

For me though, if I was like the example above.....let's say I want sobriety; I want to recovery from my alcoholism, but all I seem able to accomplish is abstinence (with some attempts at a new lifestyle) Monday thru Friday, but then drinking on Sat-Sun.....If I was using the terms 'recovery' and/or 'sobriety' for my Mondays thru Fridays, then I would feel compelled to call my Sats-Suns 'relapses' (from my recovery). For me, the length of my abstinence (whether a long time or a very short time) doesn't matter; what would matter to me would be that I'm attempting recovery/sobriety, and not quite getting there yet, without relapses.

NoelleR