Notices

just starting...hang in there

Old 02-12-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just starting...hang in there

This is my first day of sobriety because I know I can't stop at one glass of wine. I don't want to get worse so I have to take action. I'm worried about becoming a major alcoholic, my father was....any tips or advice other than one day at a time? I don't think I am cut out for AA.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I moved your post to a thread of its own, so you could get a proper welcome.

I found that changing my daily routines and patterns helped me a lot in the early days.

It made it easier to get through the difficult times of the day.

Focus on your recovery and keep reading and posting.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi and welcome.you are amongst friends..

Just what you said is a great start......."i cant stop".

Admitting you got a problem is the first hurdle and you just done it..

keep posting and sharing..............trucker
Old 02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

Hi and welcome.
When I first started on my path to sobriety I used this forum for support and since then I have been here posting and reading everyday. By following everyone else's trials and tribulations I have managed to avoid even wanting to drink.
I don't know if this would help you to do it but it works for me and some others here.
Good luck.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Welcome to SR. This is a great place for support. Keep posting and you will get some great advice.

My first tip is that if you think you may have a problem, you are doing the right thing by stopping drinking all together. You don't want to get into booze too deep or it is hard to get away from it.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I like your screen name . . . Searching4Life. I found it in Recovery and you can too. I know you are more than likely feeling overwhelmed now, hence the One Day at A Time.

One of my favorite slogans, if you will, is This Too Shall Pass. . . meaning nothing is forever. Those four words have helped me through so many situations, realizing that if I'm in a screwed up space in my head, it isn't permanent. Neither are any withdrawal symptoms you may experience.

Ther best advice I can give you right now is to obviously stay away from people who drink, places you drank in and find things to keep your mind off drinking. I did a lot of journaling. Just write down what's on your mind to get the feelings out. Stuffing feelings was a huge trigger to use for me.

I hope you'll keep sharing and reading lots of posts,
Judy

Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR...
Old 02-12-2009, 10:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didn't think I was cut out for AA either. It was not at all what I expected, for what it's worth. This is a good place for you to be, I know I find myself wondering how others made it through the day. It doesn't take long to get to know other people and their views. It can really help you to look at things from a different angle. I come here first thing when I get up in the morning and first thing when I get home from work. Just to check in and see how everybody's doing, and read the stories of the newcomers that I can relate to. It keeps me on track. I am on day 16 and I have no doubt that I will not drink tomorrow even though sometimes I have to get myself through the present and not think about the future. Welcome, and I hope you stick around. It's not easy but it's well worth it.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good to have you at SR.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!

And welcome.
Good for you for making the decision to take control of your life.

Be well
loius
Old 02-13-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

CarolD gave some great advice (which I recently didn't follow,and so, relapsed) but it's great advice and kept me sober over six months. YOu have to want to stay sober more than you want to drink. Now I'm taking that advice to heart again because I DO want to stay sober more than I want to drink.

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 02-13-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wink

Searching4life: this is a good site and there is ALWAYS someone you can chat with.. i hope you make a good start!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome aboard my brutha. everyone of us had to start at a day one. it can be rough but please use this board for the encouragement you'll need. i know it got me through my first few days.

and now it keeps me in check as i don't want to disappoint the friends i've made on here. if i can do it....and it's only 11 days so far...you can do it. the first 5 days were the roughest for me.

i feel like my body is cleansed out. now i fight the mental battle and to be honest it's getting better every day.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,
Even if you don't think your cut out for AA, it can still only be done one day at a time. Your in control of that.
Try putting those two slogans together " One day at a time, This too shall pass" or even backwards "This too shall pass, One day at a time"

Good luck & Blessed be

Linda
Old 02-13-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

HI AND WELCOME FRIEND. i was just wondering you are here becuase you drink a couple of glasses of wine? wow wee. you know in some parts of the world that is a way of life and considered really classy. and wine actually has alot of health benefits.
i hope you work that out, and get to where you wqant to be.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

MROBI-If you would read this thread correctly. He said can't stop at one glass of wine. Very common problem with people who struggle with alcoholism. They would not be on this site unless they wanted help...you could at least be supportive.
I do attend AA about 3 time a week and It has helped me. Not wanting to attend your first AA meeting is also a common fear with people who want to stop drinking.
It's free, it's supportive, and It's anonomous...and It works for alot of people.