Notices

Is recovery possible without AA

Old 02-12-2009, 02:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is recovery possible without AA

I am on day 2 again, after going one week... I really dont want to go back AA at this moment. Are there many people who are recovering without AA, and any advice would be really helpful? Thankyou x
Old 02-12-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I go to an alcohol counseller and have been taking antabuse thats got me to 4 months, hope you find your way too :ghug3
Old 02-12-2009, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Iriss..I did use aa in the beginning of my sobriety...I now only come to SR as a means of support. Bottom line for me was my commitment to stay sober. The longer I am sober the more committed I have become. I have no use for alcohol in my life...to me it is posion. It is possible to recover without aa...SR is proof of that. Best of luck...keep posting!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think AA is a really good way to get sober, probably the easiest method. For me, I use other methods to stay sober, if that makes sense. I found Rational Recovery to be very helpful in staying sober.

I think the fellowship of other alcoholics is extremely important. I learn a lot about the disease of alcoholism and how we all share similar traits. I've learned good coping strategies from the old timers.

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-12-2009, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I only use SR and nothing else - but whatever you use, the final buck stops with you.

Booze is poison to me... and for me there is no reason good enough - ever- to drink.
If I'm having trouble remembering that, then it's my responsibility to do whatever I can not to drink.

Helping someone else with their troubles, or posting about my own on SR is always a great alternative to drinking

D
Old 02-12-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

I also only use SR and have no face to face contact. The fellowship I get here is probably better than Face to face for me anyways because if I don't like someone it is easier to tune them out.
One of my biggest triggers is people that annoy me and I can mostly eliminate that here which would be much more difficult in a group setting.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have 2 support "groups", SR and my wife. I'm fortunate to have her....and my friends here at SR.

I do know 2 people that have gotten, and remain sober without AA for a long time. I know we do have to take our own path, it is up to us ultimately to get and remain sober for ourselves.

I don't know much about AA, I have considered going, but don't feel it necessary at this time I suppose. I know it works good for alot of people here on SR. I have always had a deep respect for the organization and the lives it has helped change and save.

Different people need different methods I think. An AA member may disagree with that statement....but I believe what I say to be true. If we can get sober and have some support of our choosing, some help, and truly fight...fight with all that is in us...we can do it.

My 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's definitely possible. AA works for a lot of people, but there are other options available. Having options is always great I use a combination of therapy, online support (SR and friends) and spirituality.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As you can see, its an individual thing. I don't do AA either at this point, BUT if I found this way isn't working then I have promised myself I will go to AA or do whatever else is necessary to stay sober. You try a way and if it doesn't work then you try something else until it sticks. That's my feeling any ways. There certainly are good people in AA and if I had one closer I would go today. Its nice to make sober friends through and the 12 steps is easier to work with a group, in my opinion.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

iriss: YES.. i do believe you CAN (don't tell any A.A. people i said that!) myself i am still coming to terms with my alcoholism and A.A... the "big book" itself says that "we do NOT claim to have all the ANSWERS"
Old 02-12-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

No AA for me either. The people I met there were decent, free coffee, and you can come and go any time you want but I'm just not an AA guy. I have thought about going back if for nothing else just some comradery since there is no other alternative meetings around here. But there seems to be plenty of people who have obtained long term sobriety without the use of AA, so yes, it is possible.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I started recovery in AA, but left after six months. So while I don't have experience getting sober without AA, I know you can stay sober out of the rooms. What's most important, in my opinion, is that you have some sort of strong support network in the first few months, whether it's AA, SMART, SR, or whatever.

Best of luck!
Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Of course, Iriss, you can recover without AA. I use SR as my lifeline, and have for many years. There is lots of information and support here.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanyou all, this is very helpful... I will continue to use SR for now.. x
Old 02-12-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey, Iriss. I don't go to AA. There were only a few gay friendly AA groups near me and all of them followed the 12 step. Now, I'm not religious or spiritual in any way. It's not that I'm an atheist, I just prefer to classify myself as nothing because I believe to each their own. After reading the 12 steps, I decided they are not for me as they have a lot to do with a higher power. I come to SR not only to read other people's experiences, but there's a great sense of reward not only in not drinking, but helping others to not drink. I don't believe that AA is necessary. If you feel like you need to speak to someone face to face, hopefully you have someone in your life who is supporting you, or try finding a local alcohol counselor. Usually, they can adjust a program for you to your needs. Good Luck Iriss!

Erin
Old 02-12-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Iriss,

AA got me going on sobriety through online meetings and reading their literature. But something didn't really click for me with that. Then I read two books and ever since I understood my disease and I took charge over the things I knew I could change. The two books were; Under the Influence by Milam and Ketcham and Beyond the Influence: Understanding and Defeating Alcoholism by Ketcham and Asbury. Since I have had a lot of science courses the information about how the brain works with alcohol in it really resonated for me and I knew that I wasn't drinking because of any character defects. Congruently, I had character defects as a result of my drinking, along with other character defects that I won't discuss here. I still use some of the AA stuff though because it helps with my sobriety. SR though has really been a huge help for me. I think that is a general point of view for everyone who comes here. At least that's what I've heard. There are also some other programs besides AA that you could check out. So no, AA is not the only way but it has been a good way for millions of people around the world. Maybe you could use a combined approach like I have.

Peace,
Ken
Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Originally Posted by Iriss View Post
I am on day 2 again, after going one week... I really dont want to go back AA at this moment. Are there many people who are recovering without AA, and any advice would be really helpful? Thankyou x
This was a topic at last nights big book study. It was pointed out that some alcoholics can just stop and never drink again without any type of support group. It was also stated that you would know if you were this person, if you wanted to stop and successfully did so, However , if you tried to quit and could not, most likely AA was for you.

Even if I could do it without AA, I would still go to meetings and studys.
It's amazing what you learn. It's also amazing the growth you experience there.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Iriss--
Not an AA guy here. I should also tell you this is my first foray into recovery, and SR has been my well of support, knowledge, and understanding.
When I was a kid, my older sister went to in-patient treatment, and part of the process was meetings AA style. I can't quite remember if they were true AA meetings or not, so I would be remiss if I stated such--so I'll just say they were meetings in the style of AA. I loathed them.
I believe it is possible to recover with out AA. I applaud them for helping so many people stay sober--but it is just not for me.
Whatever works for you to stay sober is as good of recovery program as any.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am four and a half months in with no AA, only a therapist, and I have read a lot of recovery books, although now I am feeling like I want more contact so am starting to check out meetings. I went to a life ring meeting earlier this week and will be checking out some AA meetings later. But you definitely can do it without AA. In fact I don't think I could have done it in the beginning with AA because of my personality. Everyone has their own way.

My recommendation is to read Sober for Good by Anne Fletcher which talks about all different ways people get and stay sober with and without AA. It really presents a balanced view. You can also listen to her on NPR's Talk of the Nation Problem Drinking : NPR
Old 02-12-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am not in AA either. I had to make not drinking my first priority and decide to really devote a big chunk of my life to it. I used a lot of the tools in the book Changing for Good including making this change #1 priority.

SR has been my lifeline to others going through what I am going through. I try to get here at least once a day. I have been to AA meetings and had previous 12-step experience in Alanon but I just don't believe in the fundamentals of the 12 steps for me.

I have also asked my husband and one good friend to be there for me on a daily basis so I have face to face people to check in with and I also find that I want to be accountable to them and to myself.

Whatever you decide to do, SR is here with lots of support. Good luck and keep us all posted!
KB