Notices

Is recovery possible without AA

Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bard View Post
No AA for me either. The people I met there were decent, free coffee, and you can come and go any time you want but I'm just not an AA guy. I have thought about going back if for nothing else just some comradery since there is no other alternative meetings around here.
That's pretty much the way I feel, but I will say that going to multiple meetings helped me a lot during the first week. One thing that really bothers me is the constant mentioning of a higher power/god...yes my life had become unmanageable because of alcohol, but it was my own voice that said stop and my own will that kept/keeps me from drinking. Imo, saying that some higher power is responsible for your sobriety, is selling yourself short in a sense.

One other thing that bothers me is that people in AA are still calling their disease an "allergy"...it's as if they know nothing beyond that book.

Sorry if this sounds a bit caustic.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I go to an AA meeting once in a while, and really like f2f support, but I just can't embrace the religious concepts and language used, and can't get past the bias against non-theistic beliefs in the literature. SoberRecovery is my primary network of support and it is working well.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

AA is about helping others to stay sober as much or more than it is about our own sobriety. There is no doubt you can get sober without AA but will the still suffering come knocking on your door when they need help? I like to pass on what I have to those that still need it.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Arrow

I'm recovering without AA..sorta. I do have sober friends that do the AA program and I will occasionally attend open meetings for the fellowship. However my treatment plan and primary support in done in groups at the health clinic. Checking-in at SR is very helpful as with using SMART Recovery tools helps out a lot too.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

4 days sober, and if it was because of this site, I wouldn't of made it this far.

God Bless us.....
Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh, by the way there is no AA where I'm at, so I'm really counting on this site.....
Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Shygirl - I hope it works for you like it has for lots of us - amazing community here and great to have you in it! KB
Old 02-13-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

To update my previous post i decided that i did not trust myself to be able to change enough to be able to enjoy my life and stay sober for the next 30/40 years so went to my first AA meeting tonight, and am going back tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

AA is for me.

Hello Iriss... I stayed sober for three weeks before christmas.....it took one upseting phonecall and I was back on the grog for three weeks...
This time I have gone to AA meetings and have remained sober for over 30 days: one day at a time. I have heard of people staying sober and not attending AA. I believe we are all individuals and different things work for different people....however for me personally I don't want to be without the wonderful support that I am finding in AA. I go to a variety of different types of meetings in different towns around me...that way if anything doesn't feel right(which has certainly not been my experience so far) then I have other meeting options. AA and SR:ghug2 are the way for me....all the best to you and your journey.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I'll have 8 months sober soon with no AA.

SR Rocks. I will never drink again. Just not worth it.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

pip....Over 30 days.......wow thats fanstatic..

I really like your "go to a few different meetings approach"....it works for me 2

spread yourself around i say..........again congratulations on your new found freedom.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

It makes me kinda sad that people feel the need to ask that question...
Old 02-13-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Why, DK?

I think as a society we have been taught that it's AA or no way (I am NOT saying that is wrong..AA has helped many people). Right now, with the internet etc., there are so many options out there....that maybe people are overwhelmed?! I don't know. But, I do know I love SR!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Why, DK?

I think as a society we have been taught that it's AA or no way
That's precisely why. And it's so deeply ingrained... sorry, feeling a bit emotional this evening.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Thanks DK....I 'get' that.

That's exactly why I think you would do well as a Life Ring leader. I'd like to make the trip to WA to be a part of it, too.

Deep Breath, Friend. Feel better, soon.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I hear you DK and share some of that frustration. But the question is being asked and that is a step in the direction of broadening the perspective on what options a person has who wants to stop drinking.

Sometimes I feel like the secular perspective is a few spots in the middle of a big sea of AA perspective, but I have gained so much more depth in secular perspective from coming to SR than I ever got from reading and the few secular meetings I was able to attend.

I second coffeenut's vote for you to be a LifeRing leader..