Notices

Feeling less than, being sober...

Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NAP

Feeling less than, being sober...

Does anyone else have the feeling like you are less than, or an inconvenience in social circles now? Like you have to excuse yourself for not drinking? I feel great in these circles and in AA, but when it comes to everyday life sometimes I'm feeling a bit "less than". An inconvenience, a threat, a bother, a weirdo...

I know of course I"m not, but I can't help shake this feeling. Some people are treating me like I've got 2 freaking heads?!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Although I'm not much of a social dynamo..., I think there are people in social circles that loath an addicts decision to take control of their life, "you and your self righteousness..", and yet others that walk on eggshells around recovering addicts...afraid to do anything that may "upset the apple cart" so to speak. I guess a lot of folks don't know how to take us... and it may make them uncomfortable in differing ways eh? Which in turn will make us feel a bit "weird" as you say...

When we become comfortable in our own sober skin, then I think the two headed monster syndrome will fade away.

Peace to ya
Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The kind of social activities I involved myself in, in my early recovery, were usually daytime activities. I needed to avoid alcohol, so I would frequent coffee shops, go shopping with a friend, that kind of thing. I still don't socialize as much as I used to, and I like it that way.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Absolutely FELT that way.

With time in sobriety I have turned a 360. In social situations I love being the sober one. Never thought that would happen. Ever.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel this within drinking groups, but not within the life situations where drink is not the focus.

BUT - I feel different in lots of ways - like I have a big neon sign on me that says "I am different now" but it is only something I can feel inside (and you all can read it ). I walk into the world a pretty different person now and I am not used to this skin (just over a month with no alcohol). I am beginning to feel what coffeenut said - "love being the sober one".

good post - thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I always drank alone at home, so have no social situations to worry about. I do feel strange tho, having to deal - again - with my feelings without the numbness of alcohol.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

I have been avoiding social situations for this reason. I went to one and felt really out of place. I hope this passes as I plan to stay sober whether it does or not.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Since we have 9 mo. old twins, I have no social life! And that's perfectly fine with me. We do have "happy hours" hosted at different neighbors' houses all summer, so I'll see how that goes. Not everyone drinks though, and we're all adults, so I don't anticipate a problem with that.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It gets better i think, i was out with a couple of friends last week early evening (i dont stay out late now whats the point?!) and we were talking about going to a place 25km away and one friend said thats ok we have our designated driver he doesnt drink anymore...that was cool.

I know what you mean, but time will change that...it has for me after only a few months anyway:-)