Notices

So tempted I could taste it...

Old 02-09-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So tempted I could taste it...

I was so close to giving into temptation I could taste it. This evening has been a hard one for me, but so far I've made it through sober. I'm so glad for this site and the people here.

It's hard for me right now to live with two other grown adults (my mother who is on disability and my younger brother) that seem not to be able to either not care or are just, I don't know. It seems like I'm the only one who knows how to clean house, or set up the coffee pot for the morning, take out trash etc. I can understand my mother being limited in what she can and can't do because of her disability because of a very bad knee. But, my younger brother (whom I do love to death yet get agitated with at times.) could pitch in and help with a few things around the house so it doesn't feel like I'm the only person who does what seems like everything. Typically I wouldn't mind this and at other times it really agitates the living daylights out of me. This evening it bothered me so bad I was so tempted to go get a case of beer or something I could taste it, but this place has really helped me so much, so I was smart and talked myself out of it with the help of being here and being able to let it off my chest. Is there anyone else who has or has had a similar experience or is this just me? Thanks for letting me share. <3 you guys.
Wes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hang in there Cof, and you'll get through the evening.

Focus on staying sober and maybe think about getting a place of your own.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Getting my own place is a good idea. Only thing that sucks is if I want quick results is going back in the Army. I suppose it's worth consideration. But yeah, I'm just gonna stay focused on the rest of this evening for now. *reads little engine that could* I think I can I think I can. lol
Wes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha I don't know about you, Wes, but being in the army did NOTHING but make drinking not only even more socially acceptable, but the norm! I was out in Germany for 4 years and all I did was drink!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by CoF1984 View Post
This evening it bothered me so bad I was so tempted to go get a case of beer or something I could taste it
Yes, I have had this exact experience.

What helps me is to remember that it is just a thought, not reality. Cut it down to size, keep it in perspective.

It will pass and soon you will find yourself thinking "what the hell was that all about?"
Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

backporch...you right...all we did when I was in the army was drink when we were off duty. And I was in a combat unit, combat units are where it's more socially acceptable to drink "due to the traumatic circumstances we go through"
Wes
Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there buddy, you can get through this.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Cof, read my most recent post and you will see that we went through the same thing tonight. It looks like we both were smart enough to get through. I am starting to realize that booze isn't the answer to life's curve balls. When you really think it through, all the problems will still be there tomorrow, except now we have to deal with them with a hangover. HA!

Congrats on getting through the craving.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wink

one day at a time man! try some erb tea with some real honey in it.. it helps me!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

Don't you dare drink Wes. You have come to far.
Maybe you should try talking to your brother and coming up with a schedule as to who does what chores and even include your mother if she is capable in doing some things. They probably don't do anything because you will do it.
If everyone has their own duties things will run smoothly. I know I do as little as I can get away with.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah guys thanks so much for the positive words and I am so glad I got through this sober and didn't give into the temptation. The problem will be there regardless and I'd rather deal with it sober and feeling good than drunk or hungover and adding the problem of being upset at myself.
Wes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ride it out there Wes, one day at a time, sometimes just one moment at a time!

I had the urge today, not just for a couple of drinks, I had the urge to get myself
seriously wasted. I'm 17 days sober.

I was talking to myself in the pickup, "Just for today, I will NOT drink"...over and over.

Now I'm at home sober, making scallop potatoes and pork chops...lol...the urge is gone.

Another successful day of sobriety!!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great to hear Richard, we both made it through and sober and feel much better about not giving in.
Wes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good for you for hanging tough!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I say just beat on your little brother till he does his share.....JK

Well, maybe not.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Nice job fighting the temptation! It seems to get a bit easier each time.

DK