SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sparkling Water (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/168738-sparkling-water.html)

C23 02-07-2009 05:23 PM

Sparkling Water

I don't know why, but I noticed something today that I found funny and wanted to share.

When I stop drinking I become addicted to sparkling water. I think it is the carbonation and the whole opening of a can or something, but today I noticed something funny.

Good sparkling water is expensive. I mean just as expensive, if not more than beer. My wife laughed when I brought home some San Pelegrino and told her the 6 pack was $4.50. FOR WATER!!!!

Oh, well, better than drinking I guess.

Just wanted to share.

Your resident SR dork....

Chris

yeahgr8 02-07-2009 05:25 PM

hehe mine is diet coke by the gallon, love it!

coffeenut 02-07-2009 06:47 PM

Safeway has club soda for 99 cents a 6 pack. Could you pour one of those cans into your Pelegrino bottles? Just kidding!

Enjoy your bottled water, it's cheaper than a liver transplant. :)

flutter 02-07-2009 06:50 PM

when I first stopped drinking I was drinking any soda in sight. Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Root Beer, now Cream Soda. I HAD to switch to diet, I was out of control :P

tellus 02-07-2009 06:52 PM

We get Klarbrunn canned water. I don't think it's more than $6 for a 12-pack.

I should drink more sparkling water. I'm a bit of a Diet Coke addict right now.

C23 02-07-2009 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by coffeenut (Post 2098472)
Safeway has club soda for 99 cents a 6 pack. Could you pour one of those cans into your Pelegrino bottles? Just kidding!

Enjoy your bottled water, it's cheaper than a liver transplant. :)

I get the Safeway brand sometime, but I like to consider my self a Sparkling Water Snob.

livingsober 02-08-2009 01:20 AM

I've become a big fan of Pellegrino since I've been sober as well. Part of the allure is that I'm treating myself to something nice, and I'll have a bottle of it with a nice dinner the same way I previously would have treated myself to a more expensive bottle of wine with a good meal. I think their marketers have me figured out by pricing it the way they do! Oh well. Better for me to be duped by them than by purveyors of alcohol.

That said, there are cheaper sparkling water alternatives out there that I substitute now, and I can't really tell the difference. My grocer sells a cheaper option that still has the fancy packaging that I'm a sucker for at about 2/3 the price.

As an alcoholic I viewed my drinking as a reward, and it's been refreshing to discover that there are many nonalcoholic options that I can approach the same way (I've also become a fan of spicy V-8).

stone 02-08-2009 01:30 AM

I am drinking a lot of tea.

Sparkling water snob, lol! :)

I want to get some proper ginger ale too, the stuff with the kick....

Pixy1 02-08-2009 01:46 AM

Thank goodness I'm not the only one, I can't get through the early evening cravings without Diet Coke :)

Ananda 02-08-2009 02:48 AM

yepiiiii.....someone like me!

I drink sparkiling water aka peirie, club soda,

I love it the fizzyness is sooooo saatisfying. The club soda has no salt, no sugar, nothing but fizz...good for me as i am diabetic

Also, Fresca haas no sugar, etc.

I'm not on a diet
Thats not why I buy it
Its got the taste thats right for me.

I've never had to get thinner
Buy it cause it's a winner
Its got the taste thats right for me.

Twiggy

Coolmummy 02-08-2009 03:59 AM

Tell me about it!! Had a grapefruit juice and lemonade last night in the pub abd it was £2.50!! A pint of beer is £2.30 and a glass of wine £2.75. It's not right!!

FizzyWater 02-08-2009 04:34 AM

I was drinking so much of it I used it as a username C23 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bamboozle 02-08-2009 05:38 AM

I was drinking a lot of club soda...but at a local grocery store, I finally found just plain carbonated water--and it's cheap! About a buck U.S. for a liter.

C23 02-08-2009 08:40 AM

Glad to see there are so many others like me out there.