Notices

O'Doul's

Old 02-08-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

I tried the near beer once and decided that since it was more expensive than most domestic beers that it wasnt worth it and never drank it again. I bought a regular beer the next time and was off and running. This was 16 years ago. I have 9 months sober today.

Also there IS alcohol in NA beer,.....

We have a saying here...non alcoholic beer is like sex in a canoe. F*ucking close to water.

I went for coffee and desert and they ordered tiramisu and ate the whipped cream on the side rather than the desert itself. It was a fancy place (sort of) and it had whipped cream, drizzled chocolate and cut strawberries on it too. I figure I can order another desert that isnt even going there if I want something sweet. I prefer chocolate, strawberries and other stuff more anyway....
Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hahaha I'm vegan. Milk is for baby cows
Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ok, I guess I didn't know this would be a touchy subject. I guess I'm too new to recovery. But I will admit that I bought it last night and opening it and smelling it took the edge off. My anxiety went away and I had no problem making it through the rest of the night. And I'm not swearing off OJ or NyQuil either. I don't believe my anxiety went away because of the 'alcohol content', I believe it's totally psychological with me and everybody's different. And no, I'm not starting from day one again. Today is day 11.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Resident

It was a good thread and a good discussion,
It is only AA that says you have to start again from day 1 but they say that if you use mouthwash you have to start from day 1 also. A little fanatical in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I've never heard them say that!
Old 02-08-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

It is only AA that says you have to start again from day 1 but they say that if you use mouthwash you have to start from day 1 also. A little fanatical in my opinion

I really do not think its fair to talk about AA as a whole like this. If one person said this to you then fine but it is not AA....I am going to AA almost 11 years and I have never heard that said. It is not found in any literature either. I have however heard a lot of people claim stuff about AA that is just not fact. By the way I use mouthwash all the time;
Old 02-08-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by nelco View Post

I really do not think its fair to talk about AA as a whole like this. If one person said this to you then fine but it is not AA....I am going to AA almost 11 years and I have never heard that said. It is not found in any literature either. I have however heard a lot of people claim stuff about AA that is just not fact. By the way I use mouthwash all the time;
I have heard this from several AA'ers but I apologize if I am wrong about the mouth wash. I meant no disrespect to a fine organization that helps many people.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Speaking of mouthwash...one thing I'll never use again now that I'm sober...I use to drink that sh*t because of the alcohol content when I couldn't get a hold of real booze...gotta make sure I stay away from a lot of things.
Wes
Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

That's scary... mouthwash uses an antiseptic type (rubbing) alcohol. It's not at all meant for human consumption.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Yeah, very scary...I was pretty bad off. Thank God I'm working towards a better and sober future.
Wes
Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

It is not alcohol free beer. It has 0.5% alcohol and you are just playing mind games with your sobriety. In early recovery it is not the best thing you can do.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Fiorito View Post
It is not alcohol free beer. It has 0.5% alcohol and you are just playing mind games with your sobriety.
Again... so does

Old 02-09-2009, 01:27 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Ugh! Not again with the OJ...

Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Tropican Pure Premium Orange Juice Reference # 026005101A
Tropicana only produces non alcoholic juices and beverages. We do not include even a fraction of a percentage of alcohol in our Orange Juices. ( So now we know that at least Tropicana is alcohol free.)
Old 02-09-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

It's not "included", it's naturally occurring.

http://www.wesleyan.edu/weswell/docs...hol%20Beer.pdf
Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
totfit

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
If I drink alcohol...I will re start my time of sobriety.
The N/A beer I know of does have alcohol...
regardless of what ammount.

This subject goes round and round very often on here...

Some will tell you OJ and vanilla extract have alcohol.
That's true. I don't drink them either.
Some members drink the N/A beer and think themselves in recovery.
I could not do that.
I guess you don't eat fruit either. I think to each their own. Personally, there are a lot worse things than N/A Beer. Smoking is probably the worst addiction there is, but many alcoholics smoke themselves to death and consider themselves in recovery. However, if they drink an O'Douls they have relapsed. Doesn't make sense.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I DID drink it on Saturday night. And Sunday is my bad day. Yesterday was my second Sunday, and I had no desire to drink. Must be all that alcohol that was still in my system.:wtf2
Today is OFFICIALLY day 12
I'm craving OJ today...
Old 02-09-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I've actually bought it before (the darker style) and liked it. I do like the taste of beer, and in the first few months our newborns were home, I enjoyed drinking one every now and then.

I never had an issue with overdrinking beer though, so if beer is/was your poison, it might not be the best idea.