Notices

O'Doul's

Old 02-07-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Personally, there's no way I will drink them.

I believe the alcohol content is .5%

Just enough to make me want to buy some of the 'real thing'.

I don't need that struggle, I'll stick to coffee and juice thanks.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

They average about .3% (no more than .5% is allowed by law), about the same as orange juice from a carton or that has been in the fridge for a few days.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Resident

O'Douls has .5% alcohol by volume so 10 of them is equal to one beer. If you drank one beer after a 2-3 week period of sobriety you would probably get a slight buzz and then you would maybe be unable to control whether you have the next one, only that one would be a real beer. Becks has a non-alcoholic beer that has a 0% alcohol content as it has a process to remove that last little bit of alcohol from the beverage.
It is more expensive than other non alcoholic beer and even more expensive than regular domestic beer. About $7.50US for 6.
I say if you are only going to have 1-2 conventional non alcoholic beers it may not draw you back in.
If you are in AA though as Carol said these would void your sober time.
I may try the Becks if I ever am faced with an occasion that I have to go to a bar and they carry it but I don't think I will push my luck and drink it at home.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Becks has a non-alcoholic beer that has a 0% alcohol content as it has a process to remove that last little bit of alcohol from the beverage.
It is more expensive than other non alcoholic beer and even more expensive than regular domestic beer. About $7.50US for 6.
Fubar, I don't think they sell the Becks you mention in the states. The Becks they sell here is the same "contains less than 0.5 percent alcohol by volume (ABV)".
Old 02-07-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Resident

It is good you pointed that out DK. I wouldn't want anyone to have their coins revoked for something that I said so take heed all you Americans.
I wonder if they have it in Europe?If any of you peeps from Europe are up please chime in. Maybe they somehow found a way around the advertising laws here. Can't trust those beer companies.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

i had a couple of experiences with alcohol free beer, ended up pissed both times stumbling in at silly oclock, mind you that waas because i got fed up after the first couple and went on to the usual 6 pints and half a litre of bacardi! IMO as an alchie it is a ludicrous idea but thats just my opinion with 4 months sober:-)
Old 02-07-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Said it before and I'll say it again, I don't romance my addiction. I like cream soda
Old 02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Said it before and I'll say it again, I don't romance my addiction. I like cream soda
I like cream soda too.. especially the fancy ones that come in beer bottles, lol...
Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

O suggest you leave it alone.I tried something called "near beer " back in 87 and wound up drinking a 12 pack a day.Finally one day I said the heck with it and got the real stuff and got plastered.
I see it has nonalcoholic beverage on the label,and it is for non alcoholics....says so right on the label...lol

but my sponsor tells me if I drink the stuff I still haven`t gotten the "taste out of my mouth for booze" yet
so,in light of the past,I leave it alone and suggest others do too
Old 02-07-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I tried them or that other NA by miller...the problem for me was I never liked the taste of beer....I always just wanted to get drunk and the quicker the better
Old 02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

In nearly 5 years of sobriety I can count on one hand how many NA beers I have drank. It never sent me on a bender and I promptly quit after one on each occasion. I would say whether it is dangerous or not depends on the individual and their sobriety. I never was much of a beer drinker myself. I was a wine drinker. As far as losing your sobriety date for drinking OJ or an NA beer, that is a personal opinion I don't share. To each their own. It is all about intentions. I don't think anyone sets out to get drunk by drinking OJ. I know I didn't set out to get drunk by drinking an NA beer. However, that is not to say that it won't set off something in someone else. I would say take a good look at your intentions and be very careful.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

As far as losing your sobriety date for drinking OJ or an NA beer, that is a personal opinion I don't share.
I agree.

I ate some tiramisu and didn't adjust my sober date either.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

I was told in early recovery that .....alcohol free beer is for, non-alcoholics.....
Old 02-08-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I've never had an NA, but it does help some people.

I'm picky about my beers, and from what I hear, NA beer tastes like butt.

I just stick to sodas, fruit juice, and bubbly water. Carbonated water does the trick most of the time...I can chug a lot and belch. It makes me feel refreshed!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
Has anybody had this? Is it a bad thing if I do it to get through today? I'm on day ten.
Hi Mam, I think if you are aking if it is a bad thing it is because it worries you...and if it worries you, don't do it.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yuck, NA beer. I seriously do get a bottle of root beer if I want to "blend" at a table. Or just fancy bottled water. I don't see the point of NA beer, I'm sure it would be a huge trigger.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I had one the other night. Could not finish it -- they really don't taste that great. They do not cause any triggers for me, but beer was never my DOC -- it was wine or vodka.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I'm picky about my beers, and from what I hear, NA beer tastes like butt.
Didn't you drink regular ol' american beer? Never tried butt...

Carbonated water does the trick most of the time...I can chug a lot and belch. It makes me feel refreshed!
I think that's part of why I like it. This thread has got me wanting one, lol...
Old 02-08-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Didn't you drink regular ol' american beer? Never tried butt...

Got me there, DK. Yes, when I was really poor and desperate, but I bought the better stuff when I could.

I heard that NA tastes worse than Natty or PBR.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

When I was on sober attempt #57942 I bought a six pk. of that stuff. I remember thinking "It looks like beer. It smells like beer. It tastes like beer. But it's not beer........welp let me go run off and buy the real deal then" And the rest is history as they say. Wanna drink something? Try milk, does a body good! At least alot more better then near beer will...and as long as you're not lactose intolrent.