Notices

Back For Week 4

Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back For Week 4

Hello everyone. I posted 3 weeks ago and I am back. Couldn't decide whether to start a new thread, so hope it is ok.

Well, it has been 4 weeks since I gave up the Bacardi. I actually tried to post at week 2 but my daughter accidently pulled the plug on my pc right in the middle of my post, and I never got back to try again

Generally, I feel really good. My heart palpitations have all but disappeared. I was having a lot of stomach pains at week 2 which had me worried but those are also gone. I had started a multi vitamin and suspected they were causing me problems (I know it makes no sense) but when I stopped taking them within a few days all my craps went away.

Sleeping is also back to normal. When I was drinking 200ML (sometimes 250)of 80 proof Bacardi 3 days a week I had problems sleeping on the days I did not drink. And then I even seemed to have problems sleeping on the days I did drink. Anyway, my sleeping patterns have returned to normal and this is no longer an issue for me.

I was asking myself today if I missed drinking. I guess the honest answer is a little bit, but not enough to go back to the hangovers and all the other bad stuff that came with it. I have to assume the heart palpitations were withdraw, and I can never allow myself to go through it again. It is sad, in a way, that I feel like I can never have one drink, but I had enough drinks in my life and I don't need anymore.

For all those out there trying to stop I have no magic bullet, and I cannot say for sure I have found the answer to stopping. If I am still drink free after one year then I will feel I have the upper hand on alcohol.

For me stopping came from visions of my wife and children watching me go down a black hole, and dying a slow painful death. It is really that simple. Am I over blowing the extent of my problem? Who knows, but sometimes being a hyprochondriac has advantages. I am 42 years old and a lot of what I have read seems to indicate many serious health problems for heavy drinkers starts in the 40's. I know everyone is different, but I am just speaking in general terms.

I still have to go to the doctor and get some blood work since I have not had it done since late 2007, but I am not ready to do it yet. I am still afraid of the results, so I will remain drink free and eventually get the courage to have it done. Nothing about my current state of health makes me think I am in trouble, but I know the only way to know for sure is to go to the doctor.

Well, I thank everyone for responding to my week one post, and for all the support this website offers for those that want to stop bad habits

Thanks for listening and time for me to check on the kids.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you're here.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well!