SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   ahhhhh i hate this (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/168629-ahhhhh-i-hate.html)

shaun00 02-06-2009 09:55 AM

ahhhhh i hate this

Im gonna write this down.........cos i know from experience that it helps..

Im going through a period of depression which seems to be real hard to pull out of..

Its nothing new for me....i guess a couple of times a year.....comes along with a touch of insomnia..

A good number of you know the route.....duvet therapy and cant face getting up.........then when you do all you wanna do is go back to bed.

Lack of energy.........negative outlook...etc etc.

i HATE it.........i just wanna feel motivated and fired up again..Ive prayed twice today....if he is talking...i cant hear him.

The doctor wants me on prozac........i say no thanks....im not knocking others that do...but for me ive had a life time of numbing the feelings.

It may be sunlight connected........i work nights and sleep most of the day getting bout a hour of cloudy gloom.

Thankfully a drink doesnt come to mind anymore.

Live in the solution shaun..........it will pass.......no big deal.

AAHHHHHHHH I HATE IT MAN..........tommorows another day.

Thankyou massey for yer e- mail nice to have friends

And thanks for listening to me voice this..

prettypoison 02-06-2009 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by trucker (Post 2096415)
The doctor wants me on prozac........i say no thanks....im not knocking others that do...but for me ive had a life time of numbing the feelings.

(((((Trucker)))))

I know exactly what you're going through. I get depressed rather regularly. I have refused meds as well. While I respect others' choices to take medication... I'm too afraid I will become addicted to pills too. But, I hate powerful emotions in either direction, good or bad, but I know numbing is not the answer. Being down hard to sit with though. I hope your depression lifts soon :ghug3 hatin' it with ya...

masseyman 02-06-2009 10:11 AM

Yeh, I get similiar feelings too, tough gettin out of bed sometimes.

I HATE it for ya trucker....

Wish I had a magic wand for my friends, wish I could wave the "positive bubbly outlook" wand over ya and depression 'poof'...vanishes. My wife deals with it on and off, really has a tough time sometimes. Wish I had more helpful things to say....I'm a fixer, when I can't fix somethin it bothers me.

Grab the counter and dance like that fuzzy cat in your avatar....makes me laugh whenever I see it. That is one freaky feline man!

Joy comes in the "morning".....like you said, tommorrow is another day.

Peace trucker, I'll talk to ya.

Anna 02-06-2009 10:12 AM

I am sorry you're going through this and I hope it passes soon. I know it's hard to be active when you're depressed, but some kind of exercise might help.

I take anti-depressants and have for about 8 years. For me, they do not numb my feelings at all. What they do, is to help level the playing field. I no longer have to scrape and fight to stay above ground. I still get bouts of depression, but now I know it will pass and I can handle it.

mamabin 02-06-2009 10:13 AM

I'm with you Trucker. I experience major depression and I know what it's like when everything hurts and someone tells you to just go for a walk, or smile. I actually take meds, and I don't think they make me feel numb (including prozac). When they're working, they make me feel like the way I should feel, like what I imagine stable to be.
They certainly aren't working right now, at least I don't think they are. I feel like ****.
But I still believe they've saved my life, more than once.

snowdog 02-06-2009 10:27 AM

Trucker- sending good thoughts and prayers your way! I hope the funk lifts for you soon, and for everyone who is suffering from depression.

:praying

shaun00 02-06-2009 10:28 AM

i hope i didnt offend anyone with the meds thing.

its just im scared that ill be addicted all over again..

Being diagnosed with clinical deppresion about ten years ago.....in fact my doctor suggested that it might be to blame for my drinking...lol...lol.

Shame you cant take prozac meds for just the difficult periods instead of all the time.

Ive managed to chuck a couple of logs on the fire and im gonna stick on s.r for a bit.......then early night...

Thanks for your support.............trucker

CoF1984 02-06-2009 10:31 AM

Trucker, I know how you feel. Every now and then I just go from being happy go lucky to feeling like crap, upset, depressed. At times it's gotten I just didn't know what to do anymore. It doesn't happen as often as it used to for me, but when it hits it hits pretty hard. I'll be praying for you and hoping that it lifts and you can get to feeling as close to normal as you can before too long.

Philly 02-06-2009 10:36 AM

Hi Trucker,

I don't know what I have and if it is depression I am not taking anything either. My problem is I stopped drinking 6 months ago just as I started to change life so I have no idea what is going on. I do not want medication because like everything else I have done in my life I have become addicted. Exercise is also an addiction of mine but I do feel better afterwards. I hope you feel better soon.

adore79 02-06-2009 10:55 AM

Sorry you are feeling down Trucker, but you seem to know how to cope and that is great.

I couldnt live without my meds, but to each his/her own. I also use a light box in the winter to counteract the darkness.

As far as praying, that helps me too. I wish I could remmeber who it was, but someone on here likes to say that prayer is like talking to God, and meditation is like listening to God. Kinda makes since to me and I do both.

Have a nice evening.

serenityqueen 02-06-2009 10:55 AM

(((trucker))) I, myself, wasn't offended about what you said about meds for depression. Like Anna, I am on anti depressants and have been since I have been in Recovery. I do not feel medicated or numb at all on mine, which is ironically Prozac. I don't realize I am taking it, unless I stop taking it. Then I notice the depression slip back in, I too want to sleep all the time, zero energy level, just blah. My Dr.'s all know I am in Recovery and have all said that it is safe to take in Recovery. These types of meds are not to be confused with meds for anxiety, which usually are Benzos such as Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, ect. Now, these meds are highly addictive and do cause you to feel high.

When I started the Prozac, after about a month, I slowly began to realize that I was feeling so much better. It doesn't happen overnight. I'm not trying to tell you that you should try them, (who am I kidding, I am!) but if your Dr.recommends taking it, why not? The only thing you have to lose is the blahs and a general feeling of yuck.

Judy

mle-sober 02-06-2009 10:56 AM

Hey Trucker,

You've got a lot of people here that care about you. I'm sorry you're feeling so rotten. I don't think you offend anyone when you say you're declining antidepressants. But you do know that they're not addictive, right? And like Anna and others have said, they don't take away your feelings. You still feel what you're feeling. It's just more tolerable.

Anyway, it sucks to be depressed. And I know there are no easy answers. Even meds aren't an easy answer.

I hope you are getting hugged. By your wife, kids, friends. That always helps me. And you deserve it.

- mle

redpat 02-06-2009 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by trucker (Post 2096415)
Im gonna write this down.........cos i know from experience that it helps..

Im going through a period of depression which seems to be real hard to pull out of..

Its nothing new for me....i guess a couple of times a year.....comes along with a touch of insomnia..

A good number of you know the route.....duvet therapy and cant face getting up.........then when you do all you wanna do is go back to bed.

Lack of energy.........negative outlook...etc etc.

i HATE it.........i just wanna feel motivated and fired up again..Ive prayed twice today....if he is talking...i cant hear him.

It may be sunlight connected........i work nights and sleep most of the day getting bout a hour of cloudy gloom.

Thankfully a drink doesnt come to mind anymore.

Live in the solution shaun..........it will pass.......no big deal.

AAHHHHHHHH I HATE IT MAN..........tommorows another day.

Thankyou massey for yer e- mail nice to have friends

And thanks for listening to me voice this..

Hi Trucker i know the feeling well i woke up the other morning quite depressed,i find music is my best therapy so i went on youtube typed in the beatles track being for the benefit of mr kite i was instantly uplifted keep on trucking.

prettypoison 02-06-2009 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by trucker (Post 2096453)
i hope i didnt offend anyone with the meds thing.
its just im scared that ill be addicted all over again..

I hope I didn't offend either...I'm just a scaredypants right now and being hypervigilant to what I know is my addictive personality. Nothing wrong with meds... I just tend to abuse anything that changes how I feel ...I wish I didn't, because I probably would benefit from an anti-depressant. But for now I'm glad I can come here and share with all of you. Warm wishes trucker...

d206s 02-06-2009 01:21 PM

Trucker,
I do think the sunlight theory may be contributing to your depression.
In fact, studies prove that light deprivation does cause mood changes.
I myself use medication but would rather not.
Mental illness is in my genetics so I must use what works.
If you can get past it without, I would.
I think you live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, but I must admit the weather got to me after awhile.

Best wishes to you.

Regards,
D

lisa t 02-06-2009 01:37 PM

hey trucker..
sorry to hear you aren't feeling so well...i agree with others on the sunlight thing...us folks here in the mountains of new york state suffer from something known as SAD..seasonal affective disorder...too much cold & snow, not enough daylight, etc etc...i like felly's lightbox idea but don't know where to get one...but for the time being i find zoloft works quite nicely this time of the year for me...i don't feel it changes who i am..it just lessens the feelings of anger and sadness...whatever you do, i hope you are feeling better soon!
Big Hugs!!
Lisa :)

DES 02-06-2009 01:41 PM

Good luck to ya, I know how you feel.

d206s 02-06-2009 01:44 PM

That's it........sad

Thanks Lisa,

I knew there was an an acronym and name for it.
But I have my 'senior moments'.........
lol.

Regards,
D

shaun00 02-06-2009 02:04 PM

guys and girls.....thanks for your input and support..

I have looked into s.a.d and i think it is quiet common in this country.

But i tend to only suffer from depression a few times a year...maybe lasting a week at most..yeah ok all in the winter but mostly i feel good.

I think there maybe a hereditary thing going on here because there are a few siblings on medication..

It will ease..in time.........but i will get to the bottom of it and maybe go for more tests or maybe this is just me.

Great to not feel alone.........trucker