Notices

anyone here go to A.A.?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anyone here go to A.A.?

just thought it might do some good in the newcomers section.. i've had ALL my success not drinking.. directly tied to my A.A. program/meeting attendance. has anyone else gotten good results with A.A.?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

I don't go to AA and have had good success so far just by using SR.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Absolutely...

Living and learning in the AA way is fantastic for me.
I'm a recovered alcoholic ...with purpose and joy in my life.

SRR is an interesting supplement to my AA program.
I see no reason to not use SR as well as AA.
The more information and support...the better.

DOS-4-25-89
Old 02-06-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

carolD: amen sister!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't attend AA but do attend SR daily, and also read and check in with two specific friends almost daily. So far it is working and I love how it is working.

I think we all have our own "programs" and if it is working for you, great!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

in fact i'm just home from a GREAT 9 A.M. A.A. meeting now.. we had a newcomer get her 30 day coin today! it was cool.. so much support there!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

KindBird: i agree if it works for YOU that's good enough! (there is NO WRONG way to stay sober!)
Old 02-06-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I haven't attended a class yet, but plan to. My brother in law did it for years. He seems to be the only one that I can really talk to about how aweful I feel about my DUI & my decision to not drink. He has shared with me alot of what he has gotten out of AA, and things they discuss.
Everyone else just says things like "get over it" "You will get past this" "Your strong you don't need anyone to tell you what to do"
Its frusterating. So the last thing I am going to do is ask these same people in my life for a ride to an AA meeting. I do read about AA & the steps & have borrowed some books from my Brother in law.

When I get my license back I want to attend some meetings. I want this is be my lifestyle, not just something I did because I felt remorseful for what I did.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am a member of AA - it provided the instructions that led me to recovering from alcoholism. I work the steps (went through them the first time fairly quickly) and carry the message that is the spirit of AA.

Good results? I guess you could say that A new world opened up to me and it's really like getting to start all over again.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
just thought it might do some good in the newcomers section.. i've had ALL my success not drinking.. directly tied to my A.A. program/meeting attendance. has anyone else gotten good results with A.A.?
Ive been sober since i started attending AA and weaving the 12 steps into my life....i believe for me.....it was the only way..

I needed a program to help me rebuild my life.....and working through the steps helped me to learn to cope without booze and change.

Im lucky enough to have a wartime printing of the big book.....inside the the cover it says..."the story of how 14 thousand people recovered from alcoholism...
Thats a powerfull message cos today it must be millions..

I understand it dont work for eveyone but it certainly works for me..

Fundamentally places like s.r or AA or any other self help group..function well because of the therapeutic value of one alcoholic/addict sharing with another.

And thats how it all started.......bill going to visit dr bob at his home and talking most of the night...........one alkie to another.

Thats my take on it anyway...................trucker
Old 02-06-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My experience is the same as Adam's. I went to AA a broken man who could not stop drinking and was dying. By working the steps and passing the message on today I am in a recovered state, and my life has been changed in ways I would never have guessed possible.

Short Answer, yes, AA worked quite well for me.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
I am a member of AA - it provided the instructions that led me to recovering from alcoholism. I work the steps (went through them the first time fairly quickly) and carry the message that is the spirit of AA.

Good results? I guess you could say that A new world opened up to me and it's really like getting to start all over again.
This mirrors my experience as well....

I tried to quit drinking repeatedly over the years, and when I did without AA my life just kind of was the same, but without drinking, and during those years, the only time I really ever felt the emotion known as "happiness" was when I drank, that was the only time I really belly laughed, the only time i REALLY had fun, was when I drank.

These intervals never lasted any considerable period of time, I was so miserable that drinking was literally my only option, I was lonely, bored and glum.

When I finally "washed up" in AA my life changed, Life became fun again, I was finally in a room of people that actually understood me, I realized I wasn't "crazy", In the Big Book of AA there is a story about a Jaywalker a few pages into Chapter Three: More about Alcoholism that described me perfectly.

Deep down I often suspected there was something wrong with me, I never seemed to "fit in" or be comfortable around people unless I was drinking, what I found out was this is normal for alcoholics, and being in a room of people that all felt the same as I did made it "OK"...it made me OK...

A curious side effect of AA, and getting a sponsor, and working the steps, and going to meetings, and going to coffee afterwards was I started getting a funny feeling in my tummy...like...it was weird, kind of like butterflys in my stomach but not, not sick to my stomach, but...it felt different somehow....it wasn't "right"

I figured out after awhile what that "funny feeling" was....

I was Happy.

I have never had so much fun in my life as I have had in AA, I have never laughed so hard, my relationships with those around me improved immeasurably, I went back to school, I became a sculptor, I started traveling, I had wonderful relationships, both romantic and platonic, and I have made friends that I have known now for over 16 years that I consider family.

AA made "not drinking" a good thing instead of a bad thing, AA literally changed my life, and even after a period of long term sobriety, I stopped going to meeting within a period of time I became deeply unhappy and in conflict with those around me.

I have never wondered why I drank, why I drank is apparent every time someone cuts me off in traffic, or I stub my toe, every time I have any emotion whatsoever is a good time for a drink to me, football games etc.

With AA I don't have to wonder why I am NOT drinking, I don't NEED to drink because my life is so much better without it.

That's not the case with me if I just try to go "on the wagon".
Old 02-06-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

AA is a life saver, when I share it's like everyone listening is my problem filters. They listen to what I say and the problem gets smaller and smaller. AA and the study of the big book is our key here.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Cool

Originally Posted by ToABetterMe View Post
I want this is be my lifestyle, not just something I did because I felt remorseful for what I did.
I love that!!! Thanks, TABM!

For me it's a "Design for Living" through the 12-step process in my daily life! I've been given so much support and true identification in those rooms, it's just mind-blowing! My spiritual life has been enhanced as well as my social life, so much lately! AA isn't for those who "need" it.... It's for those who "want" it!!!

I don't preach to the choir and I do believe there's so many other routes for individuals to take for success in their sobriety and lives!!! This isn't a One Stop Shop for all recovering alcoholics..... But it is for me!

Thanks for posting! It's not so bad being sober afterall, is it???!! xoxo

:ghug3:ghug
Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

I have been attending AA meetings, and for me it helps being around positive growth, which in turn makes it easier for me to not obsess over the things I used to. It reminds me of alot of things I need to be reminded. For me, it works well for my sobriety.

And Nicki's comment about AA being for those who want it, not need it. i agree wholeheartedly. I WANT to be around positive change.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I went to AA crazy as a loon and could not stay sober.AA provided me a whole new life.Ther sober people in AA replaced the old ones who could not stay sober.My marriage was all but over,but now it is the best it evenhas been.I worked when I could,mainly 3-4 days a week then,now I work for myself and work every day.Where there used to be fussing,cussing and loud arguments,now there is quiteness,peace, prayer and love.My old past dues debts have been paid off,and today we do not live from Friday to Friday.Our whole lifes have changed,and our family is a lot better in every area because of AA.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I too, am a member of Alcoholics Anonymous and I would not change it for anything. Like those who have already posted, I worked the Steps with a Sponsor, go to meetings, read literture, pray and try to live the Steps in my daily affairs and hopefully I care the message that was so freely given to me; sometimes well, sometimes not. Point is, not only do I not drink one day at a time, I live each day free of the bondage of the previously self induced insanity. Today, I am free of active Alcoholism and I am recovered from the disease of Alcoholism, though just for today. I have been gifted by something greater a New Life. It took me years of denial, pain, institutions and meetings to finally surrender; almost 30 years. Once I found the answers were so simple and not from me but from a God of my understanding, I stayed sober.

Meetings are a vital part of any recovery plan, but they of themselves do not make a New Life. Working the Steps with a Sponsor as a process to living the Steps, doing service, being a committed member of a Home Group and staying sober one day at a time.

If I can be of service to you, please let me know. There are many men and women here who have found the answer to a new and productive life. PM anytime and the best to you today! R
Old 02-06-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

SR to me has been an awesome tool other
than meetings, conventions, alcathons,
etc. There are many more online recovery
sites which are so useful.

Anything and everything to help with staying
clean and sober one day at a time.....

And you know what....AA meetings, SR .....
all of its free.......you cant even go to the
doctor for medical help without paying
something. Here we can go to meetings
to get the medicine we need to stay sober
with no pills and no payments required.

And boy do i feel better getting something
for free....you? : ) Esp. now a days....lol

Sharing about SR and computer help....
sure its great, esp. if ur sick/disabled,
bad weather, whatever it maybe......its
u and a screen with helpful or harmful
reading information. U cant see emotions
from those who write here. U cant hear
them. And you dont know if they r
truthful or full of BS.

Sure i can write elequently here and
speak differently. The only way one can
see or feel what u r saying is to see them
face to face.

Face to face meetings are places to see
first hand changes in people. Can u see
someone change on here? Seeing and
hearing someone in person is very real.

Imagine if u were deaf and couldnt hear
someone cry or laugh.....thats like it is
here....however go out in the world deaf
and see someone cry or laugh......u could
laugh and cry with them even with no
sound.

What a gift it is for us to have that choice
to see and hear people in person as to
sitting in front ur computer with no
sound...no emotions.....

I think id perfer seeing and hearing about
recovery with the gifts of sight and sound
giving to me from Above.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I love AA even if just for the simple fact that if I'm at a meeting (esp. at night), I'm NOT AT A BAR! Makes it so much easier to see and be around people dedicated toward making their lives better, and reaping the rewards, and comforting each other in hard times... Rather than hanging out with people who would help me escape reality rather than deal with it.

Its a good support system (for me). Plus I love hanging out with sober drunks. They're (we're?) hilarious! Some of the best senses of humor around. If you can't laugh at yourself...

But Nicki's right -- there are many many programs out there, some are better for some people, not for others. AA works for me (as long as I'm willing to DO THE WORK) but some folks have found success through other recovery programs. There's a lot of good stuff out there, just need to seek it out.

Good luck to everyone working to get or stay sober.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I do go to AA, and got sober through AA. I recommend that anyone who wants to get sober find a face-to-face support group, whatever the flavor (SOS, RR, WFS, AA, whatever).

Face to face meetings were and are important to me because I need friendly faces. I need the social connection. I need to chit-chat about the SuperBowl and bitch about the weather. I need to practice my social skills in the physical world. I need to make friends with people who can give me advice and support in my area. I've made some good friends in AA.

On-line is great, but it's not the same as a physical meeting. This is a wonderful place to start, but there's more to be had.