Notices

conversations with myself

Old 02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

Red face conversations with myself

Hey everyone, hope today is going good. Do any of you find yourself having conversations with yourself? Not sure if that made sense...I will try to explain. Today I got my license back and I found myself thinking that I should go get something to drink (alcohol) and a movie to celebrate. Then..another part of my mind started telling me that I would only feel bad tomorrow if I did that...then I answered myself by saying that I could just start again tomorrow at day 1 and it wouldn't be that big of a deal...then I answered myself again and thought that maybe I should go work out instead. So, for the last few hours I have been having conservations with myself about drinking and not drinking. Am I just crazy or does anyone else ever experience that?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

we all have that angel on 1 shoulder and the devil on the other.
I think yours were talking today and trying to make you do something or not do something.
Wow! That sounds crazy.LOL

Your not crazy, your just thinking out loud---I do it all the time.

Just dont drink and you will be glad you didnt.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

Originally Posted by Rouxballs View Post
Your not crazy, your just thinking out loud---I do it all the time.
Yeah, except it wasn't out loud...this was all going on inside my head!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I rarely had that happen. I just went and got the booze. My desire for it out-weighed any argument against it. Some of the time I had just thrown out a bunch the night before. Such a sad disease with all the destruction it causes.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

If its inside your head that would be very normal.
When I go hunting I sit out in the woods for hours and carry on a deep conversation with myself inside my head. Thats where I decided to quit drinking.
It all started deep in the woods up in a tree. November 29th 2008 was my last drink and i owe it all to the thoughts that went on inside my head.

I think thats called will power?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi there,

I posted something similar a couple of months ago (http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ict-voice.html if you're interested in reading it). You might recognize parts of the conversation.

I know how you feel.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
Hi there,

I posted something similar a couple of months ago (http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ict-voice.html if you're interested in reading it). You might recognize parts of the conversation.

I know how you feel.
Thanks for sharing that with me. That is exactly what is going on inside my head. I don't miss all the junk that comes along with drinking, but I guess I miss the feeling of not having to deal with anything for a little while. Thanks again..I hope your day is going better.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

alcoholism is the only disease that tries to tell you every day you have not got it
Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mergirl

my little shoulder devil-drunk is much less talkative these days, and when he does spout his nonsense, I can just laugh at him now. It gets better
Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Seeme- I am exhausted from the in-fighting in my head! I have a constant dialog going on. And, because I live alone with my two sweet dogs, my dialog is often vented out loud to them. so far my pups are always on the side of not drinking!!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I have many conversations like that, and makes me feel very crazy. But then I realized, I am finally finding excuses to not drink. Like KenL said, before I would just go get the booze, with no internal agruement. So I see it as a good sign.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seemethrough View Post
Hey everyone, hope today is going good. Do any of you find yourself having conversations with yourself? Not sure if that made sense...I will try to explain. Today I got my license back and I found myself thinking that I should go get something to drink (alcohol) and a movie to celebrate. Then..another part of my mind started telling me that I would only feel bad tomorrow if I did that...then I answered myself by saying that I could just start again tomorrow at day 1 and it wouldn't be that big of a deal...then I answered myself again and thought that maybe I should go work out instead. So, for the last few hours I have been having conservations with myself about drinking and not drinking. Am I just crazy or does anyone else ever experience that?
First off....

Yeah for getting the licence back, I can't wait to get mine back!!!

And second, I totally get what your saying about the non-stop conversations with your self! I do it reguarlly!
I just have to sort out the demonds from the good stuff!

I have even found myself saying things out loud like "Why would I be thinking that!"
Old 02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I talked to myself all the way home from bowling last night.......OUT LOUD! I was telling myself how good it felt not to worry about getting home without getting pulled over.........I made sure my inner self new just how good this was! LOL......nothing like giving yourself a stern talking to! HA HA!

You are quite normal my friend!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

My goodness, sorry about the grammar!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"we all have that angel on 1 shoulder and the devil on the other."

"alcoholism is the only disease that tries to tell you every day you have not got it"

These two responses say it all for me.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sober or not, people talk to themselves all the time. That's why there are people / programs out there to teach meditation to relax and clear the mind.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was thinking about this today because I have a tendency to laugh out loud alot when I'm by myself (and sometimes in public...err) when I think of something that's funny (like today it was the Teenager post on here that did it).

I talk to myself all the time in my head. There's the sensible 'good girl' me who just knows better, then there's the bad girl me who says "Wouldn't it be nice to get hammered tonight?".
Well those two girls duke it out all the time, and boy have they had some serious battles. So the answer to your question is most definitely; and I think it's perfectly normal.
I think what you're doing is 'thinking it through', playing it out, and talking yourself out of it which is very, very good!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This happens to me constantly, every morning when I was drinking, and now on a regular basis when I want to drink. Conversations between my body and my conscience. My body says, " Your stressed, have a shot, you can't handle the stress..." thank God my conscience has been talking back with a resounding "No you idiot, you CAN handle this...."

Peace today to all.