Notices

Hi,

Old 02-03-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hi,

Hi,

I'm new here, & just wanted to check something out before I start pouring my heart out, I notice that this site has the AA & the NA 12 step things on it & when I was just reading through the posts in the newcomers section most people were writing about drinking, I'm a heroin addict am I welcome here?

I've recently moved away from my home town to get away from all the dealers & people that I know through my drug use as I think I have a much much better chance of getting clean somewhere that I don't know where to score! And its worked so far! I've been here for 3 weeks so far & I haven't used & to be honest I haven't really thought about it much, because I know it would be very difficult to get any & I would probably get ripped off!!

Anyway I wanted to come on & check that people weren't going to get annoyed & upset about a drug addict being on the forum. I hope that nobody does mind as I could really do with a bit of support at the moment as I'm on my own most of the time & get a bit down!

Anyway take it easy!!!

Vickipink
Old 02-03-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR Vickipink.
I keep coming to this site daily for encouragement and inspiration.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OF COURSE YOU ARE WELCOME

:ghug3

While I personally don't have experience with Drug addiction, I fully understand addiction & what it can do to you, your family, friends. I also have a brother that I have watched fight a drug addiction from 13 to 30! Everything from Pot to Meth & what ever he could get his hands on in between.

I have become as educated as I can on it. And have watched my brother lose everything as a result including a prison sentence.

Please stay, post, make friends & get the support you need to live a better life!!

~Jules
Old 02-03-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

Hi Vicki
This site is for everybody that is in recovery, wants to quit, or is thinking about quitting anything so you are definitely in the right place.
You will find plenty of support here as we all listen to each other and help each other on the road yo recovery.

There is a seperate section below for substance abuse but many people post in both sections so post away.
We are glad you are here.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You sure are welcome =) SR is for anyone who wishes to be free of their addiction. I know there are specialty forums as well for drugs, overeating, mental health. But you can get support everywhere here which is great!

Good to see you here and Good luck
Old 02-03-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! Keep posting. We do recover.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Of course you're welcome here! There's a Substance Abuse forum too that might be helpful, but this is for ALL newcomers. Just most of us drank too much, but we're all here for one reason, to get and stay sober

Welcome!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's cool, I wasn't sure & wanted to check as sometimes people think that all us druggies are skanky people that would rob you soon as look at you, (not that that's possible on an internet site ha ha!!)! I went to an AA meet in my old home town a while ago, as there weren't any NA meets there & while some of the members were happy for me to go some weren't & I wasn't sure weather the different types of addicts on this site stayed in different forums! But I'd love to make friends!!!

Thank you very much for letting me know, just reading your post above Jules made me feel good, its nice that people take the time out to care about others!! Its a shame that more people in this world don't do that!

I haven't quite lost everything from my addiction, but have been so so so close to it on many occasions! I've hurt my parents & sister but I am very very lucky they have all stuck by me! Sometimes I think I wish I had never started taking the stuff but others I think,if I can get clean & still try to make a sucsess of my life it will make me a much stronger person! Have you ever read that short story about the butterfly struggling to get out of its chrysalis & a man helps it & the butterfly spends its life not being able to walk, & it was because the man helped it out of its chrysalis that its legs hadn't become strong enough, for the butterfly its struggle to get out of its chrysalis was to make it become stronger!! My drug worker back in my home town gave me it, one day, & I try to think about it whenever things get a bit tough & I want to get out the old heroin crutch again!! I'll have a look to see if I can firnd the story, I think its really good to read for anyone in recovery from any kind of addiction!!!

Anyway I've gotta nip out to the shops, but I'll be back later!!!

Take it easy!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes if you can find it, post it. I'm sure others would like to read it too!

If you are ready, Believe in yourself. I know it took my brother years to deceide to get clean. Grated he drinks, but not that much. But he hasn't done any drugs since he was sent to prison in Aug 06. He got out Sept 08, and We have all welcomed him with open arms. I never went to see him in prison, none of us did. It was just too hard. But now that he is clean & done hurting himself & others, he is family & we will be there to keep him in line.

I have had a he11 of a run lately & he has actually been a big help to me. See he's had LOTS of experience with the legal system
Not nessesarly a good thing. But at least his past actions have helped me understand that what I did was wrong, but not the complete end of the world & if he can live through all the crap he did, I can make it through this!

Stay, post, share whatever, we are all here to help eachother!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. You are at a great place for support.

Getting away from "the old crowd" can be important, but I have lived in 4 states and they all ought to have a sign at the state line that says "Whiskey will f@!$ up your life here too".

So be sure and meet and hang with the right people, doing the right things, in your new town.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hi Vik,
Welcome! Glad you moved away from all the dealers and such. Glad to see you have been clean for a while. Keep it up!!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Guy's,

Thank you all for posting back, its really nice that you all took the time to do it, like I said before its nice that people that don't even know me care enough to spend the time to type something!!

I know what you mean about being able to find whatever your running away from wherever you go, like you said with the Whiskey Dgillz, I know that if I wanted to I would be able to score wherever I was if I really wanted to, but like I said because I know that it would probably be a right pain to score & I would probably get ripped off it kind of puts it to a side in my head, I don't spend the whole day thinking about it. When I was in my home town I spent the day's that I was trying to stay clean thinking about going to score, but since I've been here I haven't had any of that, the thought doesn't really cross my mind!! Which is REALLY REALLY good, I don't spend my days anxious & wound up!!

I'm actually looking forward to starting my new life, I've been applying for jobs today, which is a good way to make friends I guess, I like the thought of having the rest of my life in front of me!!

I've gotta go cook dinner now, thank you all for your really lovely kind words, it means such a lot to me!!

Take it easy!!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Glad you joined us!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Vicki
Welcome
and congratulations on your 3 weeks!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi vickip, glad to see your here.
Welcome, look forward to your posts.

Peace.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile Hi Guy's here's the butterfly's struggle story!!

Hi Guy's!

Here is the butterflys struggle story, I think its a really good one, it makes you think about what a struggle with addition can do for you, & how it will make you stronger once you have come hrough the other side!!

A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. One day a small opening appeared. He sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its body through that little hole. Then it seemed to stop making any progress. It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could, and it could go no further.

So the man decided to help the butterfly. He took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon. The butterfly then emerged easily. But it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings.

The man continued to watch the butterfly because he expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time.

Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.

What the man, in his kindness and haste did not understand, was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required to get through the tiny opening were God's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings. It would then be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives.

I hope it helps people think about things in a positive way, it did me!!!

Take it easy guys,

Vickipink