Notices

Complete and total mess

Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Complete and total mess

That's me!! Can't stop drinking at the moment..my mother in law died a couple of weeks ago and the whole family has fallen apart - it is horrible. My darling man is in a very dark place and I can't reach him, my eldest daughter has pretty much disowned me as i am being foul to her, I'm losing everything. I don't know what to do. I thought i could be strong, but I'm just being useless.

Please help me.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OK the first step is to not drink. Drinking isn't helping anything. Can you not drink for 24 hours? After you have quit drinking you can start to deal with the rest of life.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

DGillz is right Coolmummy - you have to pull it together and noone else is going to do that for you - first step means stopping the drinking.

Drinking is only making a bad situation so much more worse for you, your kids and your partner.

Check out AA, post here, do whatever you need to do.
Take it day by day - 'no matter what, I will not drink today' is a great start.

D
Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can only agree with Dee and DGillz on this. You knew when you posted on SR you would get this kind of response and so I would say you ARE ready to stop. Make a plan Coolmummy and follow through on it. We are alcoholics and sure we medicate to try to "deal" with our problems in early sobriety, but the longer we're sober the more we know that didn't work for us and we find we have to deal with life straight on.

Whatever it takes to keep the poison out of your mouth please do it. Do it one day at a time. We're here for you.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coolmummy View Post
That's me!! Can't stop drinking at the moment.. whole family has fallen apart - it is horrible. My darling man is in a very dark place and I can't reach him, my eldest daughter has pretty much disowned me as i am being foul to her... I'm losing everything... but I'm just being useless.

Please help me.
As the above posts have stated, don't drink today-you have to stop the bleeding.
Drinking will hinder reaching out for your man, it will cause continued pain for your daughter...not drinking will help you be useful to them and yourself.

You can do it, today.
:ghug3
Old 02-03-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

The best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to stay sober.

I'm glad you came here and posted. There is lots of support here.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi

I don't mind being 'shouted' at or told not to drink - it's what I need!! I'm so angry - i did three good months and hate this relapsing - I cannot have 'a' drink, I have to drink everything in the house! I guess this is the admission i've been needing to make to myself for so long. Thought I could control it, I can't.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry your family life is in such turmoil, but as you know, there's nothing so bad that drinking can't make it worse. Stop drinking today, just for today. You did it before and you can do it again.

:ghug3
Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coolmummy View Post
Hi.......

I cannot have 'a' drink, I have to drink everything in the house! I guess this is the admission i've been needing to make to myself for so long. Thought I could control it, I can't.

Thanks
That was the admission and insight I needed too.
After many years and heartache I accept it now. It's just another truth in my life. It kind of makes it easier, knowing I just can't take one drink.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I"m sorry your Family is going through such heartache right now. I won't tell you that drinking won't help, you obviously know that since you are here. Start with today, right now. Toss any and all alcohol you may have in the house, read as much as you need to here, ask for help.

You can do this.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

You said it vourself Coolmummy and jsml repeated it. This is how most of us have come to realize what we have to do. We can choose to not have that first drink but after that we no longer have the power of choice. With this realization you are now in control and with some support will be able to folkow through and do what you know is best for you and your family.

My condolencse for your loss. When my mother passed I also went into a dark period for quite some time and my wife had yo deal with that. There is little you can say to ease his pain and a lot of what you say will likely anger him. He still loves you dearly; he is just dealing with his loss. Be there for him and comfort and listen to him when he wants to talk. Try to be soothing. It will pass and you will be stronger and closer afterwards. Hang in as there is light at the end of the tunnel. :ghug3
Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

you will feel stronger and have clearer thinking to be able to handle your stress if you stop drinking.

I am so sorry for your loss right now.

keep coming back
jules
Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh am so sorry for your loss & what it is doing to your family. I know its hard when your loved ones start distancing them selves from you & each other.
I certinally hope you can find it in yourself to reach deep down & know that the drinking won't fix anything. Get yourself well so you can be there for others. But the truth is you really can't be there for your spouse or daughter if you aren't even there for your self.

There are so many people here that would love to help see you to a better place!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know too well those thoughts of 'thinking' I could control it, while everything around me came tumbling down!

Keep reading and posting, and welcome to SR! :ghug
Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep coming back to SR, it truly helps. Please don't drink today.... you'll be able to deal with all the tough things in your life only one way, sober.

There are people here that care, and listen.

Sorry for the loss of your Mother-in-law.

God bless.