Notices

Hi from a newbie

Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would say definitely early alcoholism with danger of soon becoming a basic alcoholic.

Its a shame its not as easy to slide back down the scale as it is to get worse..
Old 02-02-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Have you tried to stop drinking or, control the amount you drink?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

PD--
Having been through the cycle of that voice in my head that is telling me I have a problem, yet drinking anyway in my typical social situations--to feel "normal"--I think I have an idea of what you're worried about. I don't want to tell my friends, my hockey/softball mates, for fear of what they will think, or how they will react.
We have a tight knit group of friends, and it seems that every occasion is a time to drink. It is just that in that group of friends I am the only one who cannot seem to control how much I drink. On one such evening, I drank so much that I walked to a different bar, did who knows what--and was essentially AWOL for the better part of the next day. I actually slept off that bender in someone's truck. It was ridiculous. It was embarrassing. I did not want to face any of our friends, and made flippant dismissals about my whereabouts. Thankfully that episode was over four years ago. But, still drinking creates the very real possibility I would and most likely will do something like that again.
Hang in there. I hope you are able to find the help you want and need.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

CZ, I have never tried it seriously to be honest. But this last episode has hit me hard, and it just brought back all the other times..I really feel like knocking it on the head.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome PD I came here because of an ultimatum also but now I am doing this for myself because I want to. The only thing I can control is if I have the first drink or not.
Sober Recovery is my lifeline and the people here have been a great help to me. If you dedicate yourself to quitting you will succeed. Good luck.

The ultimatum is the best thing for you. I wish mine would have given me it 20 years ago. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Only you know if, this is out of control for you.

Sure sign is when, we start losing things over our drinking. Jobs, g/f's spouses, d.l. friends etc.

A few people though rare, never suffer any consequences over their drinking
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My drinking pattern was initially like yours, didn't drink everyday but binged when I did. I took a 4 month break and thought I had "cured" myself of the binging. When I took that first drink after the break, it was an "oh f*ck" moment...nothing had changed. I should have been smart enough to stop right there, but my problem progressed into near daily drinking of a dozen plus drinks. In my case, I find it's just easier to avoid alcohol rather than try and regulate my consumption of it. It really was miserable being around my ex and trying to limit myself to two drinks.