Notices

Trying it out.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying it out.

Hi all.
New to the site, and new to the idea of being totally sober. I'm 31, been the "party guy" for 10 years. Early on it was mostly social. Now, it is not uncommon to have 5-8 beers four, and often more nights a week. It has to stop.
In reading through the forums, I'm excited and encouraged to see supportive, kind, and understanding posters. I'll thank you in advance. I hope this site becomes to me what it is so obviously to many of you: A place of recovery, and hope.
It is day one. I feel pretty good considering. A bit ansty, and taking in lots of water and some fruit.
Thanks for listening.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR =) The first days are rough, so make sure if you don't feel well to speak to your Doctor. Everyone has a different experience with withdrawal and some have it harder than others.

Other than that read as much as you can and post as often as you'd like =) Everyone here is very nice and full of support.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good Luck, you're in a good place here.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you--I hope so, if it is a good place, it will be so much better than where I seem to spend most of my time.
I just want to feel "normal" again. Without drinking. In fact, even while drinking I find myself in that terrible state of self-loathing and guilt. But, drink anyway. It's maddening, and frightening. Today I made the decision that is over.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Wombat. This place is great for TLC. It is great that you have come to this realization early. Everyone is here to support you and use you for support. We all help each other on our journey and are there when someone slips.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So glad you found SR Wombat!!!! Keep us posted on your journey and let us know what we can do to help!!! You can change your life....and it will be so much better being sober.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck! This is a good place to be.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Wombat! You have landed in a great spot here at SR! I am on day 8 and can tell you the first week was pretty tough- things finally started easing up about day 4 and 5. I think one of the most helpful things for me was to change up my normal routine so I wasn't faced with all my familiar triggers.

Good luck! It does get easier!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

welcome, Wombat
and congratulations on day 1
there is a lot of good information and support here, so have a look around.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome! :ghug3
Old 02-02-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Some advice I could use would be how to broach this subject with my girlfriend. I'm terribly nervous about "enlisting" her help, but I need her more than ever.
She comes home from work soon, and this is a conversation we need to have immediately. My decision to quit drinking has been on my mind for so long, and I do believe my health has declined as a result.
I'm just lost I guess. I know she will be loving and supportive, but I also have some irrational aversion to appearing vulnerable, and/or not "with it". Obviously I am not with it when drinking. I just really want to get my life back, since from a young age I have never not been drinking. It's just progressed to the point I feel like it's killing me, and I'm doing it.
This probably isn't the place for this--and I'm rambling--but it feels good to do so. I will look for a more relevant place to discuss this--but any help would be appeciated. I just feel so lost, scared...
Old 02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just be honest. As your girlfriend, she should see you have a problem right? Does she drink as well? Have you guys ever discussed your need to stop drinking or has she ever told you you should?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hollyce Jones

Glad you found us, Wombat!

The first two weeks were difficult for me... and I'm coming from the same type of awareness as you. Party [girl] throughout my 20's, and by my 30th birthday last December I'd been sober for only 9 days. I survived the entire holiday sober! Crazy, I know... I didn't think I could do it. But today is day 71 for me, and as long as I take this journey one day at a time, I know I can continue to stay sober. Follow this "one day at a time" rule and you'll succeed too.

Welcome!
Hollyce
Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tell her exactly what you just said in your post. Sit her down to talk face to face. I just had my conversation with my husband. It was soooooooooo hard, but he was loving and supportive as I know your girlfriend will be. You have to do it for your health. She will want you to get well. Keep me posted. I'll say a prayer about that too!!!!! Good luck!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am sure that she sees I have a problem. I have discussed my drinking with her before, with the more cowardly route of "I have to cut down, no more binge drinking after hockey/softball" I went that route. She will have a glass of wine, or go to a friends house for "Girl's Night" when 3-4 of her friends will drink a bottle of wine. I don't drink with her, as I easily out-pace her, and thus makes my problem drinking more obvious, and guilt-laden for me.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Good luck talkin to your girlfriend, and welcome

I hope she supports you, I'm sure if she cares about you she will! It will be a better relationship because of it.

Stay strong! Stick around!!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR...

Here is a bit of information
According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz of liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
It's a oggd reason for quitting I think
Glad you are here sharing with us...
Old 02-02-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you. Already the few threads I have perused have made my resolve more solid to get my life under control.
Just got a text message from my gf, and she is working late...I am looking forward to talking with her tonight. The information and experiences of the people here has been so helpful. I know I'm not alone, and some of the physical discomforts are less scary knowing other experienced it. I thought I was just going crazy.
The mere fact that there are people out there is vastly comforting to me. Especially today.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

welcome wombat. i'm day one. i've been through it before. trust me, your g.f. will probably be thrilled.

i know when i quit for 100 days my spouse and my two sons were very happy. i know i can do it again. i realize you have to quit for yourself but a great side benefit is your family doesn't have to watch you slowly kill yourself.

and that is what i was doing. very selfish on my part as my wife is deaf with low vision and really depends on me. both of my sons really love their dad and i don't need to leave them at an early stage.

my brother in law died on new years day at 56 years old and it was years of alky abuse that got him. just seeing the devastation it has had on my family made me look hard at myself again.

i'm pulling for you. looks like there are quite a few of us at day one today. i wonder if monday is a big day one on s.r.?