Notices

newbie; addicted & troubled.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm a tough girl.

Exclamation newbie; addicted & troubled.

Something about this site gives me faith in myself that I could get through whatever I am going through. I didn't know this site even existed until this morning, it's 8:49am and I haven't been to bed yet.. I have been up all night. Not on account of any drugs, although I could use a joint right now. I do believe, although I am not certian, to be addicted to alcohol, marijuana, cigarettes, sex, and have been taking extasy. I will be 20 next month, which is halfway to 40, and am looking for support and ideas to better my life. I have been trying to fix myself for so long now and it feels like nothing has worked - I feel like I have gotten worse, walked even further down the path that I was on, and have hit this point in my life where I finally recognize everything I am doing to be a problem. I don't know where to start on this recovery journey.. Any ideas?
This is a wonderful site.
Peace & Love,
muSic
Old 02-01-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome music and I for one am glad you found us. Most of us wish we would have started to figure things out when we were twenty. You are wise beyond your years.
I am just starting to clean up my act and so far the only resource I have used is this site and the support from all the people here.
You will find that everyone is here to help each other without judging or criticizing or lecturing. I find posting and sharing and supporting others a big aid in my recovery and you may want to try that out.
Narcotics anonymous and AA has also helped a lot of people stay clean and that is a great alternative too.
Good luck. Recognizing that you have a problem is a big first step.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Music, welcome to this site. I'm now three weeks clean from alcohol/cannabis but still on the cigarettes. This site has enabled me to reach this place in sobriety. It can be very hard the first few weeks. Read lots of posts, ask any questions you want and stick close by. You will get lots of love and support from the people on SR, there truly are some amazing people here
Old 02-01-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Music. I'm new here also, so I don't have lots of good advice except read, read, read the forum entries. You aren't alone. I've somehow managed to give up a 30+ year drinking problem during the last 3 weeks and coming here is part of my therapy. If you fall off, get back on. No one will be more helpful than the crew here.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi music...welcome...please stick around read & post..we are glad you are here! i have been sober for two years now and never in a million years thought i would be...didn't think i'd ever live with alcohol and all of my other vices but here i am...and life is better than ever...i too wish i had gotten help in my 20's...i'm now 44...but the point is..doesn't matter how old, how much, how long...you got here! i find aa very helpful...good people that know what i'm going through!
best of luck in your journey...doesn't matter what roads you use to get sober & stay sober...just that you do!
Lisa
Old 02-01-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hi, and welcome to SR, you'll love it here.. there's a ton of support and just all around fabulous people!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Music
Welcome to our recovery community
There is lots of good information and support here , so have a look around
Old 02-01-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Duke Orsino:
If music be the food of love, play on,
Give me excess of it; that surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.

Shakespeare, Twelfth Night Act 1, scene 1, 1–3

I love that quote. Was it the inspiration for your username?

Welcome to SR. You will find a lot of support here. Since you love music, and thus poetry, you ought to check out the forum on inspiration. It's a place where you can express yourself.

Ken
Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good choice to think about cutting back or quitting. 30 approaches very fast and you can suddenly find yourself thinking, "I've been pretty much drunk or on drugs this whole time"!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, gald you did find SR! Its a great sight. Lots of caring, smart people in many stages of recovery. You are so young & have so much of your life left live.
Change your life for the better now, when you have so much ahead of you!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt88 View Post
Good choice to think about cutting back or quitting. 30 approaches very fast and you can suddenly find yourself thinking, "I've been pretty much drunk or on drugs this whole time"!
30 hell! I did this till I was 45!

You do not want this to happen to you.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi music and welcome to a world of support and encouragement.

Sounds to me like youve reached the point we all have on here at some point.

cant live with it.........cant live without it.

All recovery starts with one day..........and goes on one day at a time.

Before you stop it may well be worth bouncing this idea off your doctor...just for your own safety...........coming off booze can be dangerous for some.

Keep posting here and sharing how your doing..................trucker
Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Music, welcome to the family! You'll find lots of support and understanding here, so read and post as you like. THis is a great bunch of people here! I'm glad you found us!:ghug3
Old 02-01-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One day at a time.

I don't know of any magic solutions. But there are some habits, some rituals, that seem to work for a lot of people.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 02-01-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are decideing you need to make
a better future without the haze of addiction.

Welcome to our recovery community