Notices

Another Noob

Old 02-02-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Geoff. Yes, it's crazy how we actually think we're doing ourselves a favor and enhancing life by staying numb. As you said, school - and everything else in your life - will not be a struggle anymore. You mentioned the emotional wreckage caused by drinking. I hear you on that - but instead of getting well and facing up to things, like you are, I increased my drinking to try and stop the pain and anxiety. Insane, since all the problems were still there when I sobered up, made so much worse by my drinking and not paying attention. You are doing what I should have done - oh - 25 years ago. Congratulations! Please keep checking in.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR geoff and congrats on your 25 days
Old 02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Great to meet you, Geoff. Yes, it's crazy how we actually think we're doing ourselves a favor and enhancing life by staying numb. As you said, school - and everything else in your life - will not be a struggle anymore. You mentioned the emotional wreckage caused by drinking. I hear you on that - but instead of getting well and facing up to things, like you are, I increased my drinking to try and stop the pain and anxiety. Insane, since all the problems were still there when I sobered up, made so much worse by my drinking and not paying attention. You are doing what I should have done - oh - 25 years ago. Congratulations! Please keep checking in.
Glad to hear about your sobriety.

I've self-medicated for nearly ten years...I didn't know what was wrong with me, was finally diagnosed as OCD just 3 years ago at the age of 26. I had tried sobriety (4 months) prior to the diagnosis, but couldn't escape the intrusive thoughts and depression.

3 plus years later, my near nightly dozen drinks had ballooned into 20+ after I was laid off and the gf and I broke up; both occurred just before Thanksgiving. I was no longer a functioning alcoholic, things continued like this up until the morning of January 9th.

Thankfully, I didn't screw school up too badly and will finally be finishing my BA this fall. I've messed up so many things and have the accompanying regrets, but I can't dwell on on them because we know what that leads to. All I can do is be true to my word, fix/amend what I can, and always live up to my potential.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR =) I look forward to seeing you around~