Notices

My 3rd Friday night.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A New Year...A New Me!

My 3rd Friday night.

It's Saturday morning and here I sit, rested and feeling good. I made it through another Friday night. I am a divorced Dad and I have my 9 y/o daughter every other weekend. Friday nights are not hard when she is with me, but when it's "Dad's Party Friday" thoughts of my old routine of going out and partying or just staying home and drinking hit hard. Last night was no exception. I felt irritable because I was bored and couldn't think of anything to do. I had a touch of depression because I felt that if I couldn't drink on Friday what is the point. I am going to go out today and find myself something to do on future Fridays. I am thinking of buying a couple of plastic models to work on to occupy my time. I used to love building them but then I started drinking and never finished my projects. With the money I save on alcohol I can buy a "fleet" of cars to build. LOL Anyway, tomorrow will be 3 weeks sober and so far Fridays are my only weakness. I have found my weakness and now it's time to get proactive and beat it. Fridays watch out! I'm gonna kick your ass! I am strong and I can do this one day at a time.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

Way to go Tate bud.

I would like to get a couple of models for Friday night too but my wife won't let me.

Finding things to do to keep from getting bored is very important and something that I will have to work on soon. So far I have been amusing myself by coming here with the rest of the SR regs.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on beating the Friday night blues!

Last night, instead of drinking, my husband and I went out and got ice cream. It was fun! Some other things I am looking forward to doing include: relaxing at a coffee house/pancake house with coffee and a magazine, browsing the local bookstore and library, and having a movie marathon complete with soda and buttery popcorn. Sometimes it is hard to remember what we used to like to do sober. It is very important for me not to allow myself to get too bored or that "little voice" will creep in.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

way to go tate

keep up the good work
Old 01-31-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey tate, nice job

I like your attitude! I have been sober 2 1/2 weeks and I find the nights I work at the restaurant the hardest. I serve wine and beer all night long as a server and I smell it as I am opening the wine bottles ect. Last night at work my boss asked me to sample this new red wine, I said... ah okay. I put it off until the end of my shift and then left really quickly before she could remember.

But anyway I think we have to look at this process as a battle sometimes and not give in. and take control over something that almost destroyed us.

I personally am going to "kick alcohols ass" (with Gods Help , of course!)

take care and thanks for your encouragement
jules
Old 01-31-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

NNNIIIIICCCCCEEEE - Nice!

For all you up to a good fight against alcohol... I've got my boxing gloves on to kick some serious bootie with ya!

Tate, I think we've got the same sobriety date?... Congrats on "another Friday night" SOBER!!!! Way to go... check that one off the calendar!

Jules, when I used to be a server, it never bothered me - I thought - serving those drinks. But after I'd get off work, I'd be fixated on that BIG bottle I was going to buy on my way home. I guess, for me, it was messing with me for hours subconsiously. Thank God your boss forgot about asking you to "taste" the wine! I couldn't even imagain where I'd be this morning if I were in your shoes with "actually tasting it"... Yea, I can .... drunk again!... and let the games begin for another 10-14 day stretch of around the clock drinking and hibernating in my own private hell!

Thank God we are doing this guys! Loving to live right now, sober! Best to all-you-all!
xoxoxo
Old 01-31-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tate8 View Post
It's Saturday morning and here I sit, rested and feeling good. I made it through another Friday night. I am a divorced Dad and I have my 9 y/o daughter every other weekend. Friday nights are not hard when she is with me, but when it's "Dad's Party Friday" thoughts of my old routine of going out and partying or just staying home and drinking hit hard. Last night was no exception. I felt irritable because I was bored and couldn't think of anything to do. I had a touch of depression because I felt that if I couldn't drink on Friday what is the point. I am going to go out today and find myself something to do on future Fridays. I am thinking of buying a couple of plastic models to work on to occupy my time. I used to love building them but then I started drinking and never finished my projects. With the money I save on alcohol I can buy a "fleet" of cars to build. LOL Anyway, tomorrow will be 3 weeks sober and so far Fridays are my only weakness. I have found my weakness and now it's time to get proactive and beat it. Fridays watch out! I'm gonna kick your ass! I am strong and I can do this one day at a time.
I'm so glad you were strong. I wished you would have come here last night & posted if you were having trouble. I had my 2nd Sober Friday last night & kind of struggled, so I stayed on here as much as I could.

Way to be strong!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi tate.......great post.

I guess we all have those trigger days or events.........where the thoughts of a drink are stronger than normal..

I think with time the learnt behavior of fridays= booze will fade away and the two will have no significance..

I think you got it bang on right with a hobby....it will break that connection of the two...

Ive done my model cars and plane models....these days shauns time is fishing time!!.........i love the solitude and time to think.

Look how logical and level headed your thinking is.........you know its a trigger so you go out to try to change it.........thats is brilliant.

And shows how serious you are about sobriety.............hats off to yer.

and congratulations on making through your 3rd friday............trucker
Old 01-31-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hi, Tate! Welcome to SR.

What an awesome gift you are giving your daughter....a sober Dad. I applaud you!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
God is leading the way!!!

Tate8

Be honest next time just tell your boss "thanks but I'm not drinking today" if you say that enough they will stop asking,

I have friends who fast from time to time, other times they eat everything they see, when they fast we give them that space and respect. People will do the same if your honest with them.