Notices

Not so sure about all this...

Old 01-30-2009, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not so sure about all this...

The guy I'm dating seems to be rather concerned and has brought it to my attention more times than I care to deal with. He claims I have a problem with taking Benadryl like it's going out of style. I wouldn't say what I do is normal but I wouldn't go to the extent of saying I have a problem.

At the ripe age of 23 (that's 5 years of living on my own with my own space before this) I've recently moved into the dorms at the school I'm attending so with the stress of now sharing a very small space with someone else (and her boyfriend that is always in our room) and the stress of being two and a half hours away from the guy I'm dating, sleep does NOT come easy. I started taking Benadryl to help and with my body building up it's tolerence to it, I'm now taking between 15-20 a night. At this point it helps with the sleep but I take it earlier in the evening and stay awake even after it "hits me" and makes me sleepy. I've found that when I don't give into the sleepy feeling Benadryl gives me, it makes it so that I can't really keep the same train of thought for very long making it hard to get upset about anything really. Kinda of like an odd sense of euphoria.

Anyway, that's my story. Thoughts on my situation are welcome. I think at this point I'm mostly here to listen and take it all in.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi there and welcome to SR.

While I don't know much about benadryl as an addictive substance (I personally haven't heard of antihistamines being addictive but goodness knows I don't know everything!), it can't POSSIBLY be good for you to be taking that many each night. If you're taking any other medications, you could also be looking at adverse drug interactions. Have you spoken to your doctor about this at all? While Benadryl does make people sleepy, there are other sleep aids that can be used that would be safer I'm sure.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
Hi there and welcome to SR.

While I don't know much about benadryl as an addictive substance (I personally haven't heard of antihistamines being addictive but goodness knows I don't know everything!), it can't POSSIBLY be good for you to be taking that many each night. If you're taking any other medications, you could also be looking at adverse drug interactions. Have you spoken to your doctor about this at all? While Benadryl does make people sleepy, there are other sleep aids that can be used that would be safer I'm sure.

I don't have health insurance so talking to my doc about it really wouldn't work. I've read that it's not phsyically addictive and I don't feel as though I am addicted to it. It's just with the stress of hating where I'm going to school and constant bickering with the guy I'm dating, taking Benadryl so that nothing bothers me is more of the reason I'm taking it than the need to fall asleep.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Well, addictive or not, 15-20 tablets per night is WELL above the recommended dose and it HAS to have adverse affects on your body over time. Does your school have a student health center? When I was in college I could go to our SHC and get very cheap medications. Could definitely be worth looking into. They could also tell you what possible harm all that excess benadryl could be doing to you.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Check this other thread out:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ss-nights.html

I would definitely see a doctor ASAP. They can give you something at a more appropriate dose for sleeping and monitor you and get you off the benadryl.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
Well, addictive or not, 15-20 tablets per night is WELL above the recommended dose and it HAS to have adverse affects on your body over time. Does your school have a student health center? When I was in college I could go to our SHC and get very cheap medications. Could definitely be worth looking into. They could also tell you what possible harm all that excess benadryl could be doing to you.
I'm going to the smallest college in the world...I swear. Lol. My highschool had a larger student body than this place. So yeah, they don't have a SHC. Looked into that. The county that I live in doesn't have a mental health center either so seeing a therapist or anything at a reduced cost is out the question as well.

The guy I'm dating (John) has done research and quoted back to me that abuse of Benadryl has only resulted in 6 deaths so I wouldn't say I'm super worried about that.

I do have heart problems as it is and I know Benadryl effects my heart rate but as long as I'm not doing anything physical, it's not crazy bad or anything.

The arguement between John and I comes from his disapproval of me using the Benadryl to avoid dealing with much of anything. Using it for that reason opposed to sleep is what he says creates the concern he has.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All the best with that.

I personally don't take pills for anything. There are
always better natural alternatives that work great.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome 85

The arguement between John and I comes from his disapproval of me using the Benadryl to avoid dealing with much of anything. Using it for that reason opposed to sleep is what he says creates the concern he has.
perhaps address that little issue...

before it turns into a big issue...

good wishes 85

rz
Old 01-31-2009, 04:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
welcome 85

85perhaps address that little issue...

before it turns into a big issue...

good wishes 85

rz

John claims that me taking Benadryl for other reasons than what its meant for is what makes it an addiction. I'm not exactly sure if I agree. I know popping Bennies isn't the healthiest way to cope with things but I don't think that classifies it as an addiction. I don't have to take it every night, I just choose to more times than not.

I guess I'm just wondering how other people perceive the situation. Addicition or no?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

First I agree if possible you should see a doctor.
Second. I would like to suggest you post this same post in the substance abuse section. Most of us, not all but most, of us in this section are boozers so you may get more practical advice in that section where most of the members are experienced with pills and other drugs.
Good luck.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds to me like you are taking medication for something other than what it's meant to do, which is to help with cold/cough symptoms. You are taking quite a lot more than the daily recommended dosage. You can't or won't stop, or both. And, you have heart problems and you know Benadryl affects your heart.

One thing I know for sure, is that addiction is a disease of denial.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can identify with taking something to help me 'sleep' but taking it earlier than I needed to. I used to take sleeping pills, OTC and prescription strength. I would force myself to stay awake and once the sleepy feeling passed, I experienced that euphoria you describe. I am an alcoholic and pill addict. I drank and took pills to avoid feelings, places, and people. I can't safely drink or take pills today.

I hope you are able to identify, and become open-minded enough to see that you, too, may have a problem.

I'm glad you found us and shared.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for taking the time to read and give your input. I had a feeling maybe I was in denial but wasn't sure which is why I posted here.

Although the county where I go to school doesn't have a mental health facility with services at a lower cost, the county where my family is and I'm from does. I go home often and have made an appointment with a therapist specializing in addiction for the next time I'm back home.

Thank you again.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck to you EM85. For your sleep issue, you might try over-the-counter SleepMD. I haven't tried it personally, but have heard good things. It has to be better for you than 15 benes.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

You dont have to be physically addicted to be an addict. Alot of addiction comes from the mental aspect.
So your takin git to deal with things. 15 to 20 a night. And because you choose to. Because you dont want to deal with lifes stress.
I think alot of us started out drinking..smoking crack..snorting coke...shootin dope for those same reasons. And for me. I am not physically addicted. But psychologically. I am very addicted to my DOC. And I always chose to get high. SO what is the difference?
Maybe denial?
Well..maybe stop taking them for a period of time and see what happens. Then you will truly know if you have a problem.
Glad you are here.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Snowdog....I've tried SleepMD and it doesn't touch me at all.

Chiynita...I know what happens when I don't take it. Happens every day before I do take it. I am wicked shakey and kinda on edge.

.....and with that, I think it's kinda obvious. I just answered my own question.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

EM85;
Hang in there and keep trying. I can remember wanting anything to change the way I felt. I did the same thing with Benadryl and Mini Thins. When I got out of my first rehab in 92 I did not last very long before I was looking for something to change the way I felt. Years down the road, around 06, I had to get honest with myself about it because I claimed to have a few years clean when, in effect, I still could not live in my own skin and used OTC meds, so that "few years" had to go. I too had a narrow interpretation of using, they were OTC so nothing was wrong with using them. Everything was wrong with it, I rationalized using again. I used to escape feelings, to put myself in a place where I didn't have to think. Had to stop running and feel. The Benadryl didn't hurt me but the Mini Thins caused me to develop severe osteoporosis by taking extremely high doses of them for a long time.
Do the best you can. You are far from being alone. Take care of yourself in a healthy way. Seek professional help and do not be afraid to feel the feelings......they will pass and they will not kill...our inability to deal with them does........We are all here for you..:ghug