Notices

Who else gets really depressed when you stop drinking?

Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It is hard to give up your best friend even when your best friend is trying to kill you
Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi Katie. I'm only on day two. I have major depression and anxiety when I stop drinking. All I want to do is isolate and stay in my pj's. I start picking on my face and head until I have sores. I went and got chinese after work today and sat in a booth and ate it, thinking about how I wanted to drink. My food was so hot and I scarfed it down to the point of my tissue sloughing off and my palate is bleeding. When I got home I threw up my food to make me feel better since I can't drink. I'm trying to find some hope, it's just not working yet.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Feeling out of body experience style depression and anxiety. Also pissed off all the time. No cigarettes or beers for 26 days, but I am at the end of whatever I am hanging on to.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I also get angry with people who are so positive. Why can't I be like them? I am never positive about anything, especially staying sober. All I can focus on is how sad and depressed I am. It's so painful.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Worsening depression caused my relapse at 6 weeks a couple of weeks ago.
Still trying.
Feel worse than last time at day 2, like a leaden paralysis of body and spirit. Cant even get in shower. Psoriasis getting worse and worse. Feel so hopeless. Feel horrible in my skin.
But really want to give it more time. Isolation and loneliness doesn't help.
Have interview for volunteer position next week, don't know how I'll make it.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
I feel ok when I'm drinking (not necessarily while I'm drinking, but during the day and I function), but when I quit I get very depressed. By the 10th day I am barely moving. Today I'd really just like to stay in bed. My dogs have no food, so I gave them cat food, even though I know I have to go to the store. Even that seems like too much effort. I ate nothing on Monday and really haven't been eating much at all.

So many of you seem all happy when you quit, but I just get more down by the day. It just keeps getting worse. I am committed to staying the course, even if I means I stay in bed every day, until I give this new med a chance to work, if it works.

Who else goes through this?
Its normal. Everyone reacts differently to withdrawal. Your brain has a lot of re-balancing to do, and that can make your moods and emotions go all over the place. You wont always feel like this.

That being said, get some dog food!!!! I never like to see animals taking a backseat to anything.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

depression and anxiety when I quit... for about a week... then it goes away... I'm tapering down at the moment, awaiting that week I'm all too familiar with.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Soberina

Like others have said depression is common in early recovery - we;re going through a massive life change....

but if you feel it's going on too long, it's impacting your life, or even impacting your recovery - I really recommend talking to someone...a Dr, a counsellor, a therapist.

D
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

The depressive cloud lifted after I stopped drinking. I thought, "so that's why they say alcohol is a depressant." I drank to run away from my problems. I am slowly beginning to deal with them now. One doesn't change overnight ;-)!